prayers to the children and parents

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Sal I hear you.....but how many more young lives have to be lost. It seems every time we debate this issue "all" on both sides come forward and state their cases. I do not know the answer but bottom line is this shit happens, and happens and happens and little lives are snuffed out and life goes on and nothing changes. My thoughts and prayers to all touched by this horrible incident.
LMT

I have spent the last 20 years living around the globe and I can only watch on in horror when this shit happens. My assessment to this whole thing...gun control...it works. Like it or not...it works. Australia had a very similar dynamic to the states, even had a school shooting that ultimately initiated more strict gun control and they have had success with it. The same way in a school in Scotland in I believe 1996. The dangers that this poses is simply unacceptable and it is not like the Brady Campaign is lobbying for a complete trashing of the second amendment...military designed weapons, clips that can hold 10 or more bullets in them and thorough background checks that are simply not happening nation wide right now. And for God's sake...close the gun show loop hole! The rights and safety of our children are more important so they can go to school, church, a shopping mall, and whatever the hell else and not have to be fearful of getting mowed down than it is for you or I to own a weapon designed for the military. Each murder victim at Newtown had between 3-11 bullets in them...EACH! I am military and believe in the second amendment...it's not like I am a poster child for the commie way but enough is enough!

http://www.bradycampaign.org/

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I understand Lach and Matt. Good points.

Look, today--

Ind. Man with 47 Guns Arrested After School Threat
Authorities said the guns and ammunition are worth over $100,000

Cedar Lake police were called to the home early Friday, Smith said, after Meyer reportedly threatened to set his wife on fire after she fell asleep. Meyer also allegedly said he would enter the school and kill as many people as he could be before police could stop him, according to Smith.

The Meyer property is less than 1,000 feet from Jane Ball Elementary School and the properties are connected by a series of trails and walking paths though a wooded area.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...er-School-Threat-183701891.html#ixzz2FGDfDKYF

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...er-School-Threat-183701891.html#ixzz2FGDGjo62

Last edited:

loxpump

Rocker
The second amendment is in the bill or rights, and the bill of rights are personal rights. Why would that one be the only one of ten not guaranteeing a personal right but a government right. And a militia is not the national guard. Makes no sense to me. It's not to ensure a right to hunt or target shoot, it's to protect against us against the government. Nothing can protect you from a crazy person and anyone that thinks the govt. can protect you with laws is living in a fantasy world.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
I have just left the TV set after watching President Obama's address during the direct telecast of the inter-religion Memorial Service in Newtown, Connecticut. A moving service indeed but I was particularly moved by Obama's address because it was not only a Presidential address given at a time of national mourning, but words spoken from the heart, by a father, and obviously a loving and caring father.

The world was watching that telecast and as a citizen of that world outside of America, I'm sure I stand alongside other citizens of that world and share their hopes that this President can fulfil his promise to make a radical change. He has been alluding to some form of change/s to gun control legislation over the past days since the Newtown shooting and obviously, this Memorial telecast was not the forum to air those views. I am praying that once he gets back to Washington, he picks up that ball and runs with it all the way to the opposition's goal and drills that ball into the back of the net. THIS IS A GAME WORTH WINNING!!

One of the biggest problems we have in the world today, I believe, is the inability to accept the impermanence of our life, the unwillingness to accept change. We cling to our beliefs as vehemently as we cling to our material possessions, possibly more so.

My comments are not politically motivated but comments of a man in the twilight of his life. A father to 7 children and a grandfather to 11 grandchildren who would dearly love to see a world safe for all our children.

Thanks to the NBR members who posted their thoughts on this issue. 2 of you I have met personally and others who I would like to meet. You guys are well read and intelligent men who have so much to contribute to a meaningful debate just like we would if we sitting in a cafe or a bar, over a beer, discussing football, sex or the state of the world. I would love to hear more.
No harm there, Mr.Moderator.

No worries mate,
wobbly

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Actually the National Guard is considered a militia. The chain of command goes to the governor of that specific state. When the guard is used on deployments alongside the active duty, the commander-in-chief aka the president, must submit permission to the governor of that state to use his militia force to deploy in which time they are considered active duty while on that deployment. This is the creation that theoretically the states could arm themselves against a federal invasion and that would serve as another means of checks and balances. A militia is not some Joe blow private citizen that is 200 pounds overweight buying up his own arsenal of whatever to play weekend commando wannabe. That is simply a private citizen buying a weapon.

strokerlmt

Wobbly......right on my friend....perhaps this time this horrible tragedy will create an atmosphere for change.
"press on" Rodney......
LMT

drlapo

Hooligan
our schools are labeled as "gun free zones"
or "defense free zones"
this makes them an easy target for the murder cowards
armed guards and armed, properly trained, teachers are appropriate

drlapo

Hooligan
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studied the "assault weapon" ban and other gun control attempts, and found "insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws reviewed for preventing violence."[6] A 2004 critical review of research on firearms by a National Research Council panel also noted that academic studies of the assault weapon ban "did not reveal any clear impacts on gun violence" and noted "due to the fact that the relative rarity with which the banned guns were used in crime before the ban ... the maximum potential effect of the ban on gun violence outcomes would be very small...."[7]

The United States Department of Justice National Institute of Justice found should the ban be renewed, its effects on gun violence would likely be small, and perhaps too small for reliable measurement, because rifles in general, including rifles referred to as "assault rifles" or "assault weapons", are rarely used in gun crimes.[8]

That study by Christopher S. Koper, Daniel J. Woods, and Jeffrey A. Roth of the Jerry Lee Center of Criminology, University of Pennsylvania found no statistically significant evidence that either the assault weapons ban or the ban on magazines holding more than 10 bullets had reduced gun murders.

Research by John Lott in the 2000 second edition of More Guns, Less Crime provided the first research on state and the Federal Assault Weapon Bans.[10] The 2010 third edition provided the first empirical research on the 2004 sunset of the Federal Assault Weapon Ban.[11] Generally, the research found no impact of these bans on violent crime rates

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Guys, as this is a non political forum, I am just going to say this-

Danbury, where the funerals are is just around the corner from me. Today they are broadcasting the funerals, and some things the parents of the dead first graders are saying. When I heard the mother of Noah and what she said I sat in my car in the driveway with the lights off and fucking cried my eyes out like a fucking baby.

This shit keeps happening over and over. None of these arguments mean shit - Fuck the arguments. No more of these assholes with body armor and machine guns terrorizing us. This will change - I do not think people will putup with this , and if we don't change it surely will get even worse.

Peace.

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Danbury, where the funerals are is just around the corner from me. Today they are broadcasting the funerals, and some things the parents of the dead first graders are saying. When I heard the mother of Noah and what she said I sat in my car in the driveway with the lights off and fucking cried my eyes out like a fucking baby.

This shit keeps happening over and over. None of these arguments mean shit - Fuck the arguments. No more of these assholes with body armor and machine guns terrorizing us. This will change - I do not think people will putup with this , and if we don't change it surely will get even worse.

Peace.

+ one
LMT
"press on" Sal

B06Tang

Cafe Racer

Peace.

+2 on this

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
I don't know what could possibly put an end to these type of mass shootings. I'm pretty sure guns bans aren't the answer though. Sure it works for some countries, but the gun genie is way too far out of the bottle in the US. The millions of guns already out there aren't going away anytime soon.

I do wish the news media would stop glorifying the crackpot shooters by giving them so much attention. IMO, they need to stop giving the shooters name, and repeating it over and over. Stop telling their life story like they're some kind of celebrity. Instead they should refer to the shooter only as "the perpetrator". Better yet, refer to him only as "the coward".

dschief

750cc
I do wish the news media would stop glorifying the crackpot shooters by giving them so much attention. IMO, they need to stop giving the shooters name, and repeating it over and over. Stop telling their life story like they're some kind of celebrity. Instead they should refer to the shooter only as "the perpetrator". Better yet, refer to him only as "the coward".

That's what I was trying to say, take away their 15 minutes of fame, even if it is posthumous. Fuck the cowards, let them die anonymous! If they don't off themselves, and are captured alive, take them out in the woods and relieve them from their miserable existance, painfully.