Polished swingarm

ssjones

750cc
I'm betting you can't get a shine on that with home-type equipment. If you could, or take it to a shop that polished metal, than have it powder-coated clear. (might be the same shop)

strokerlmt

Great ideas and information......I have been reading about different metals/steel. I think Sweat and NO have the right read. I think no matter what I do this stock/Tri/steel will rust or fade under the clear coat.
My powder coat shop here is very basic. Anyone have a local shop that can CHROME POWDER COAT. Address and maybe a contact name. Then I could ship the arm and get it done right.
LMT

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Great ideas and information......I have been reading about different metals/steel. I think Sweat and NO have the right read. I think no matter what I do this stock/Tri/steel will rust or fade under the clear coat.
My powder coat shop here is very basic. Anyone have a local shop that can CHROME POWDER COAT. Address and maybe a contact name. Then I could ship the arm and get it done right.
LMT

832-818-3905

email : [email protected]

Tell him Texas94fs off of MH sent you. He is insanely awesome. He will chrome powder coat. He also has a High heat powder that I'm going to be trying out soon on my exhaust that will be cheaper than ceramic coating. Not to mention the f3 wheels will be getting a 2 tone treatment before being slapped on the thrux.

strokerlmt

Texas....thx....this is weird.....I was looking for powder coating and his place came up. Thx for the contact name...
LMT

em_dot

Street Tracker
How about powder coat it chrome. It'll have a brushed aluminum look and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

rodburner

Rocker
JMC has aluminum swingarms for new Bonnevilles.
www.swingarm.com[/QUOTE
I started to type out some snide remark regarding their stiff/strength claims,but reigned myself in.I would not hesitate to use stock Bonnie arms as control arms for a Baja 1000 race truck. And IF you could bend one,you just heat it up and bend it back. A $1000 aluminum arm looks cool,but that same grand could produce more satisfying results in a number of areas on the Bonnie. If its about weight reduction and you have lightened EVERY other piece on the bike,then sure,do it. If you haven't,then lay off the BigMac's for a week and it'll even out.

strokerlmt

Haaaa don't eat fast food ;-))....but I could do with 10-15 lbs off.
I'm with you Steve......I was just staring at the swingarm in the garage saying to myself....$1000 for JMC....where is the money. Ditto again......don't think I can bend a stock swingarm. In I was just thinking of how you could drill it out to get maybe 3 lbs off because it sure seems heavy and over built and sacrifice strength???? Steve what do you think...up and down holes but not above eachother.....will it hold or am I screwing with nature and fate ?????
LMT

Skeeter

Rocker
in my expericance, takin raw steel and sprayin clear coat on it will not hold for long. after some time it will get milky and look bad, there are chrome spray paints out there, not the best thing it the world but beat havin to pay 250 to get it chromed.
this is whay i used on my chain gaurd
can.jpg

the gaurd
chian3.jpg

rodburner

Rocker
Haaaa don't eat fast food ;-))....but I could do with 10-15 lbs off.
I'm with you Steve......I was just staring at the swingarm in the garage saying to myself....$1000 for JMC....where is the money. Ditto again......don't think I can bend a stock swingarm. In I was just thinking of how you could drill it out to get maybe 3 lbs off because it sure seems heavy and over built and sacrifice strength???? Steve what do you think...up and down holes but not above eachother.....will it hold or am I screwing with nature and fate ?????
LMT

I planned on drilling 1" holes in the arm,and then welding some tubing in them,which wouldn't save that much weight in the end.I do plan to incorporate a small battery box at the front of my new arm though.As far as strength,remember my boat trailer/swing arm analogy.The pivot and the axle/shock mounts need to be beefy.The arms just pull the axle along and locate the tire/wheel assembly square to the pivot.

strokerlmt

Skeeter......your chain guard looks really good.....You know I have gotten pretty good with the spray canssss.
Steve.....that is what I was thinking....1 inch holes top side bottom side BUT not lined up...every other if that makes sense.
So.....plan "D"....continue scraping and cleaning......since the swingarm is $49.00 going to see if i can lighten it without collapsing the sucker.....then probably a spray can....see if it works before spending anything else.
LMT

strokerlmt

PSSSS...Steve....I understand what you want to do re the tubing.....but I am thinking if you drill the bottom holes at all the lowest spots so water drains...then prime the shit out of the inside...pour primer in and roll it around...then drain and dry...then drill the top holes...seems like the arm should be ok for as long as I am going to be riding.
LMT

coopv2

Street Tracker
If you want to clear coat polished metal of any kind, I suggest you look into a product called...POR-15. clear coat. made specifically to adhere to polished metal.
Also the Hi temp thermal coating silver finish looks like polished alloy

nohawk

Rocker
LMT,I'm guessing that you are gonna keep the chrome case covers and you want the swingarm to match. So if skeeter is right about chrome plating costing 250 bucks then just subtract what you will spend on solvent and other materials and what the powdercoating and shipping will cost and you won't be shelling out to much on getting it plated, your close to Salinas right? I'm betting there is a place there that would do it so you wouldn't have to ship it. I've never seen the results of chrome powdercoating but the t100 cases are a very deep and quality chrome and to match those you might have to get it plated. Again, I've never seem chrome powdercoat results so I may be wrong and this would only be worth it to me if the cost of chroming it for real wasn't much over the figure skeeter said.

Skeeter

Rocker
if the cost of chroming it for real wasn't much over the figure skeeter said.

i havnt had soemthing chromed in a long time, i know its pricey and prob is lower than 250 but i do know it will be some paper.... i do know raw metal with clean coat looks sick for a bit of time and then it gets milky looking..

Flaco

750cc
So I can't even look at a $1000 polished swingarm. So I got the $49.00 special from PINWALLS. My "stupid" question for you all is.....what kind of metal is this. It looks like it could polish up. But if it a certain type of metal won't it rust? Anyway as always would appreciate any thoughts or advice...thx
LMT
LMT,
Have you looked into Jet-Hot coatings?
http://www.jet-hot.com/
I have gotten a price quote from the Tempe shop of $185 for the Extreme Sterling coating on my exhaust down tubes. I've seen the coating before and it looks great. Betcha they would do your swing arm for an affordable price. It appears your commited, so look into it. They respond via telephone and email promptly. They also strip prior to coating so inquire on the condition of your wire grinding as that may make it more difficult to clean up prior to coating. (coating doesn't cover scratches, dings and dents)
If for some reason you need another swing arm to have coated, let me know.
I know a guy in Pheonix doing a weld on hard tail bobber so he might part w/ the swing arm.
Good luck!
Allin

strokerlmt

Hey Allin.....you all are great......I now have more options that I can think about. So now to make some calls and figure out the best and most cost effective way. It would be fun to end up with a slightly lighter are with a polished finish to pick up the engine for 225.....
More later.
LMT