Performance MODS RECOMMENDED EFI BIKE

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
Gday guys after recieving various replies to my posts some of you have suggested Performance Modifications. If I intend to keep my bike which is most likely what recommendations would you suggest to achieve the best bang for buck (cost vs performance) on a 2009 Bonneville SE Mag Wheel EFI.

I am considering an airbox removal kit and AI removal but I a mechanically inept is this a hard job etc. British Customs claims that by doing the above in conjunction with my predator pipes and the provided map I can obtain a gain of 15HP. Has anybody done this to a EFI Bike and is the work and cost worth the effort or should I leave it alone. I am happy for all the info I can get so dont be shy, I am a very newbee when it comes to mechanics but I can follow instruction. I have spent heaps on consmetics and I love the look of my bike but I want to add the performance to the looks. Cheers in advance for your knowledge and help. Ben Dickens

:cheers::australia::cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_2856.jpg
    IMG_2856.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2857.jpg
    IMG_2857.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2859.jpg
    IMG_2859.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0

Keithl

moped
I would Say 5-8hp gains would be my guess with those mods. Did they really say 15?

Gday guys after recieving various replies to my posts some of you have suggested Performance Modifications. If I intend to keep my bike which is most likely what recommendations would you suggest to achieve the best bang for buck (cost vs performance) on a 2009 Bonneville SE Mag Wheel EFI.

I am considering an airbox removal kit and AI removal but I a mechanically inept is this a hard job etc. British Customs claims that by doing the above in conjunction with my predator pipes and the provided map I can obtain a gain of 15HP. Has anybody done this to a EFI Bike and is the work and cost worth the effort or should I leave it alone. I am happy for all the info I can get so dont be shy, I am a very newbee when it comes to mechanics but I can follow instruction. I have spent heaps on consmetics and I love the look of my bike but I want to add the performance to the looks. Cheers in advance for your knowledge and help. Ben Dickens

:cheers::australia::cheers:

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Ben......I know I am repeating what a couple of guys have said, but I have a horrible neck that will lock up if I don't ride in a certain position. I messed with bars, risers, salamander bar ends to diminish vibration, rear sets, foot ball grips and rubber foot pegs. I have eliminated pain and can do 300-400 ++ miles a day on trips. Really hope you can figure out teh situation and keep your great Bonne.
LMT

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
.. what recommendations would you suggest to achieve the best bang for buck..

I'd recommend, first, that you figure out if a combination of pegs and bars is going to work for you, ergnomics-wise, before you spend another dollar on the bike.

Only then, and yeah, given that you've got Preds, they aren't doing anything at all for you until you pull the airbox and remap. Cheap and easy, and maybe 5-8hp (I'd guess more like 5).

After that... you're talking billet manifold intakes, different cam, perhaps a stroker kit, different carbs, etc. It seems to be possible with coaxing to get 100hp out of these things, which is nearly double the stock situation.

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
I would 5-8hp gains would be my guess with those mods. Did they really say 15?

They certainly did and I thought that was amazing see below
EFI Performance Package 15HP Increase :snack:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys just finished developing a new Performance package for EFI Bonneville/Thruxton, we gained 15 RWHP, with Our Predator Pipes, Airbox Removal Kit, and AI removal kit, also comes With Custom Map.
For more details Click on the link below
http://www.british-customs.com/files...PPEFI/EFI.html

Sean
British-Customs

Why Follow A Path When You Can Blaze a Trail....

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
I'd recommend, first, that you figure out if a combination of pegs and bars is going to work for you, ergnomics-wise, before you spend another dollar on the bike.

Only then, and yeah, given that you've got Preds, they aren't doing anything at all for you until you pull the airbox and remap. Cheap and easy, and maybe 5-8hp (I'd guess more like 5).

After that... you're talking billet manifold intakes, different cam, perhaps a stroker kit, different carbs, etc. It seems to be possible with coaxing to get 100hp out of these things, which is nearly double the stock situation.

I agree mate and plan to do just that, I am waiting on my LSL Bars to arrive as they were ergonomically paired with the LSL Tridays Bonne Cafe. If this doesn't work I plan to re-install my stock rearsets and possibly my stock bars which will most definately make a difference. I am trying to retain the style of my bike vs comfort re-reiters syndrome condition. But as you guys pointed out my body is way more important than the style. I really dont want to sell my bike and cannot imagine riding anything else. Cheers and thanks for your input mate it is greatly appreciated. I just want to obtain the knowledge and projected costs of what mods I should consider to give her a bit more go and what many of you either in hinesight or in what you have done to give your ride a bit more go. Cheers and thanks again Ben:australia:

I have the NH Ace bars, and they're fine for around town, but they may get painful on a really long ride. I think the clubmans are more extreme/aggressive than about anything, so those LSL bars may be the ticket, allowing you to keep the rearsets.

Post some pics, because your bike is always a treat to see.

If the knurls on the LSL bars match the t100 risers, I may switch to those later on.

mikenva

Rocker
As blue j says get the bike so you can ride it with out hurting yourself first.Then deside how much power you want so you can plan ahead to get what you want the more you want the more it cost.Send your money for good stuff the first time .I wasted a bunch of money on junk over the years you live and learn.My bike looks pretty stock for a mildly moded bike .

sportyone

Street Tracker
As blue j says get the bike so you can ride it with out hurting yourself first.Then deside how much power you want so you can plan ahead to get what you want the more you want the more it cost.Send your money for good stuff the first time .I wasted a bunch of money on junk over the years you live and learn.My bike looks pretty stock for a mildly moded bike .

Hey Ben, just fit up a set of the new Thruxton bars as I did & with the standard foot pegs it's great, I am taller than you, so it would suit you even better. Your probabaly like most of us, can't swap about stuff fast enough when you first get your new bike.
You have done & changed so much on your bike in such a short time, I'm guessing you have forgotten just how good & comfortable it was in the first place, just MHO

let's get a ride in soon, eh ? :woot:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
My bike looks pretty stock for a mildly moded bike .

It's been a while since I've seen it, but as I recall it looks a *lot* stock. But then, I only got a brief glimpse and that mostly from the rear as it went away. Wicked damn fast!

I gotta say that I have a carb'd bike and I did the BC stage one performance kit and then brought the bike to a race shop for tuning and dyno runs. They kept it a week and when I got it back they gave me the readouts of the dyno runs and the bike ended up with 69 HP.

I don't know what kind of wizardry this shop pulled but I'm just chiming in to say that maybe 10-15 HP isn't totally off? I don't know.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
.. I did the BC stage one performance kit and ... ended up with 69 HP.

Dude- that's the race cam? $700? You'd better have gotten some oomph out of that. I think the OP was suggesting that someone is marketing 10-15 hp out of airbox removal, free-flowing pipes, and remap *only*.

mikenva

Rocker
I cant say much about the efi bikes but carb bikes with those mods start at 50 rwhp stock and with those mods make 60 to 65 rwhp so thats shouldnt be far off.

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
So in light of all the above mods do you guys suggest that I should consider race cams and airbox removal? What is the approx cost of this and also what does it cost once these mods are done to get it dyno tuned with a custom map? Cheers Ben

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Here is another view; you were just about to sell your bike and you were bummed that you would loose money. Why then would you spend more on it?

Do you just like to tinker?

Or maybe you want a different sort of bike?

I'm confused.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Ben- You can pull the airbox all by yourself.

Save your money on the cams until you're 100% sure that you're keeping the bike, because not only will you not get the $$ back for it, you may find the bike to be completely unsellable.

I guess I'm with Sal here... confused. What is it you want? Sounds like you had $15K to spend on a bike. If you still do, look for a $15K bike that gives you what you're looking for, not an $8K bike with $7K worth of bolt-ons.

Unless you really do just like messing with it (nothing wrong with that), in which case it doesn't matter what any of us think - just keep following your heart and get whatever catches your fancy!

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
Ben- You can pull the airbox all by yourself.

Save your money on the cams until you're 100% sure that you're keeping the bike, because not only will you not get the $$ back for it, you may find the bike to be completely unsellable.

I guess I'm with Sal here... confused. What is it you want? Sounds like you had $15K to spend on a bike. If you still do, look for a $15K bike that gives you what you're looking for, not an $8K bike with $7K worth of bolt-ons.

Unless you really do just like messing with it (nothing wrong with that), in which case it doesn't matter what any of us think - just keep following your heart and get whatever catches your fancy!

Thanks guys to settle the confusion I know that I have spent 7000 on mods that I will never get back so in light of this if I plan to keep the bike why not spend a little extra to increase the performance. I love my bike and its my medical condition reiters disease that is the issue. Therefor if I can adjust things so that I can keep it I will. I am still keeping my options open with regard to sale and know I will loose a heap of cash but hay that is life and I had fun and learnt a great deal doing it. Things come and go as does money but experiences and memories last a lifetime. Don't get me wrong I dont want to spend a million bucks, but if I can make the bike perform a bit better why not for a reasonable amount. Currently it is fitted with predators and a norman hyde bellmouth and k&N filter. I have not messed with the AI Kit as I have heard an argument pros/cons and this is not expensive at all to change if you guys thing its a worthwhile venture. I love my bike and the thought of selling it makes me unhappy but if I cannot make things work for me I have no choice. I am not a fan of sports bikes nor harleys although some do look awsome, I dont think I want one. I am seeking all your advice on what are the best mods with regard to performance to do without spending millions. Hope this answers you queries chaps thanks for your advice and help cheers Ben:cheers:

PieMan

Two Stroke
Pods, Pipes and a good tune.

Ben, with free flowing pipes and pods and a good tune to bring it together, 69bhp is achievable, I've done it many times.

ecm_pods_pipes.jpg