parts prices

drlapo

Hooligan
I need a rear wheel seal for my son's 675
I ordered it from Triumph @ $16.80 + tax and will wait a week + for it
I can get the same seal on eBay for $1.99 and have it in 2 days
I like to support my local dealer but ......

drlapo

Hooligan
it seems odd that a generic item, an oil seal, should have such an inappropriate mark up
$5-$6 would be more like it and that is what I expected
i ordered the sel without even asking the price and was very surprised to see $16.80 when I looked at the receipt
live and learn; to ask!

marty

Scooter
Having been in engineering for 40 odd years, I almost always found that sticking to genuine parts was the safest bet. 'Cheap as shit' usually meant 'shit'.
This invariably was always the case with bearings and seals.
If the cheap one is marked up same as genuine spare then it's a great deal, otherwise it may come back to bite you.

Why ?

I March to a different drum beat, and do not follow the herd, maybe that is why I ride a bonneville. Whenever I need anything, I usually cannot locate it at a dealer or local business soo I wind up going to the Internet and locate what I need, because the item is not available and the business only sends in a special order bi-monthly (if that often). I can order it myself and get it delivered before the local store will even order what I need. Yes it would be nice to do business with a local store but they only carry the stuff that moves off the shelf quickly to the herd animals out there.

loxpump

Rocker
I March to a different drum beat, and do not follow the herd, maybe that is why I ride a bonneville. Whenever I need anything, I usually cannot locate it at a dealer or local business soo I wind up going to the Internet and locate what I need, because the item is not available and the business only sends in a special order bi-monthly (if that often). I can order it myself and get it delivered before the local store will even order what I need. Yes it would be nice to do business with a local store but they only carry the stuff that moves off the shelf quickly to the herd animals out there.

Ditto Grumpy

drlapo

Hooligan
bought a Tiger 800 service kit at the local dealer: filters, gaskets etc.
paid $30 more than the internet price
the local "jap" bike dealer discounts parts but not the Triumph dealer
starting to rethink my purchase decisions

Motley

750cc
bought a Tiger 800 service kit at the local dealer: filters, gaskets etc.
paid $30 more than the internet price
the local "jap" bike dealer discounts parts but not the Triumph dealer
starting to rethink my purchase decisions

Yabbut...Jap parts won't fit yer bike. :poke:

drlapo

Hooligan
valve shims from a KX250 will fit my Tiger, Daytona and Street Triple and they are less than 1/2 the price of the Triumph shims

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Local Saab dealer wanted $800 for a turbo bypass valve "if they were even available" and then labor costs to address a particular CEL I had last summer on my cage.

Since its the same powerplant as the Caddy CTX, I went to an online GM parts place (Nalley Auto - great place!), ordered the part for $90, checked the little box that said "I know this part isn't for a Caddy so I promise I won't send it back", the part arrived, it was freaking IDENTICAL to the busted part. 20 minutes later my turbo bypass valve is all better, thank you very much!

Local Saab dealer wanted $800 for a turbo bypass valve "if they were even available" and then labor costs to address a particular CEL I had last summer on my cage.

Since its the same powerplant as the Caddy CTX, I went to an online GM parts place (Nalley Auto - great place!), ordered the part for $90, checked the little box that said "I know this part isn't for a Caddy so I promise I won't send it back", the part arrived, it was freaking IDENTICAL to the busted part. 20 minutes later my turbo bypass valve is all better, thank you very much!

Good work!