New Triumph Street Single

slowgator

750cc
Just saw this on a Triumph group in Facebook:

122-1108-01-otriumph-rendering.jpg

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/n...ews/122_1108_triumph_street_single/index.html

The new single will be made in Brazil and will be available for the 2012 model year.

neuroboy

750cc
I didn't realize they were doing a large-displacement Trophy (and utilizing that mill for a new big GS competitor, too)

The Hinckley boys dun good.

Bonniebret

Rocker
I understand it's supposed to be a beginners bike but that small of displacement seems impractical. 500cc makes more sense to me.

EDG1911

Street Tracker
I like it...so far.

I could see myself putting around town on errands or riding it to work etc.

241j8t2.gif

Last edited:

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
Could be very cool, but I agree with Brett 500cc would make more sense for the US market. The idea of a Speed Single is great. Light and lots of torque is a wining combo. Should be economical when it isn't whipped to boot.

KingBear

Hooligan
I understand it's supposed to be a beginners bike but that small of displacement seems impractical. 500cc makes more sense to me.
500cc was the displacement of the (no longer produced) Buell Blast, and it was a popular bike for beginners. This little single looks like it could be meant to fill the void left by that bike. It even looks kinda similar.

Buell%20Blast.jpg

slowgator

750cc
Could be very cool, but I agree with Brett 500cc would make more sense for the US market. The idea of a Speed Single is great. Light and lots of torque is a wining combo. Should be economical when it isn't whipped to boot.

"The so-called Street Single will be presented in 2012 and will be powered by a liquid-cooled, four-valve, single-cylinder engine displacing 267 to 350cc, depending on where it’s sold."

My bet we'll get the bigger displacement here...

Booooring. Gimme a shit-hot 500-650cc single, motard or tracker style, with some real suspension and brakes. I'm not interested in small slow bikes.

dschief

750cc
I would rather ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

Just because the displacement is low does not mean it will be a slow bike. The Buell Blast was a dinosaur push-rod air-cooled engine, whose meager power could be more than equaled by a liquid-cooled overhead cam engine of smaller displacement. I'm sure it won't be of superbike caliber, but look at the 350 4 strokes that are whooping ass on the over weight 450's in the dirt bike family.
That said, I have a couple of 350's that will whoop most of the Bonnevilles on this forums collective asses. Hahahaha...............

slowgator

750cc
Booooring. Gimme a shit-hot 500-650cc single, motard or tracker style, with some real suspension and brakes. I'm not interested in small slow bikes.
Maybe not Sweat but I'll bet they'll sell a shitload of 'em with all the folks transitioning to bikes from cars to save a few bucks. Everyone ain't into being the fastest gun in the west, eh?

Street singles have not sold well enough in the U.S. to satisfy the bean counters. SR500, FT500, GB500 are just a few examples. If kept light enough, with the right powerband, could become a good dual purpose ride though.

I would rather ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

That said, I have a couple of 350's that will whoop most of the Bonnevilles on this forums collective asses. Hahahaha...............

That's true, to a certain extent. I'd be bored as hell on a Bandit 250, but my Bonnie, a relatively slow bike in comparison to a ZX14, is fun to ride. I have a hell of a lot of fun on my stupid-fast FZ1 too. They're all fun.

Also, 2 strokes are crazy fun, and don't count in this argument!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Problem is, fun or not 250cc bikes are not very practical. They can't really mix it up with fast 80 mph commuter traffic and that just makes you feel more vulnerable. So as vehicles they lose practicality. Plus, all the other expenses such as tires and maintenance, and storage , are just as much as a larger bike. So you end up paying for something that isn't usable. And anyone who says its fun to ride a slow bike fast hasn't tried to take a 250 a long distance. They are very taxing after a while.