Overseas Cemeteries

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Watched a PBS documentary on the 20 or so military cemeteries around the world where 40% of the dead WWi & WW2 GIs lie in rest, including General Patton. It was a fascinating hour of TV to me. There's so many interesting little stories that were told during the show, many of them about the local people who hold these places in high regard and reverance. This might be the one show I'd actually plunk down buckage to have a copy of.

Anyway, it's made me even more respectful and grateful for the the men & women who pay the ultimate price for my freedom.

T-boy

Rocker
Anyway, it's made me even more respectful and grateful for the the men & women who pay the ultimate price for my freedom.

Well said, Kirkus. In fact, I have and always will wear a POW/MIA decal on my helmet..."You Are Not Forgotten".

Iceseven

750cc
Saw that also. Very good show and the locals really teach the history of the american sacrifice to the newer generations. One of the cemeteries had each one of the dead soldiers adopted by one of the locals, they would clean the markers and bring flowers to that one.

Hope that all of the French bashers who would only eat freedom fries some years ago saw this special.

I just heard a story on yesterday's news about a Belgian place where the locals go to the American cemetery each year for commemorative celebrations, out of gratitude for what they did in WW2.

Threewheelbonni

Two Stroke
I just heard a story on yesterday's news about a Belgian place where the locals go to the American cemetery each year for commemorative celebrations, out of gratitude for what they did in WW2.

A lot of French, Belgian and Dutch School kids get a war grave to take care of for 12 months. They always do a great job regardless of the nationality.

I'm pleased to say a bit of civic responsibility may even be creeping into the UK. Our local cemetary has 6 war graves, (1 First World War Royal Artillery, 3 WW2 RAF, 1 RN/FAA and 1 Polish), mostly no doubt related to flying accidents at the Blackburn and AVRO factories. I noticed last November 11th they'd been tidied up and had wreathes from local schools as well as the British Legion.

The Commonwealth War Graves Comission keeps a very good watch over the military cemetaries, mostly airmen from the bomber campaigns of the second World War and of course including many Americans, Australians, Belgians, Canadians, Czechs, French, Poles, New Zealanders and a host of others who were a long way from home.

Andy

Last edited:
American Battle Monuments Commission

Ladies and Gents,
Here is a link to all of the overseas sites maintained by the US Gov't. I've been to quite a few of them and have to say that they are immaculate and perfectly maintained. Enjoy.

http://www.abmc.gov/home.php

grindal

Scooter
every year at "ieper- belgium" they make a meeting memorial for all the soldiers of WW I & WWII..
i know that a lot of english people come to see the memorial.
Every evening since 1928, at precisely eight o'clock, the Last Post - the traditional salute to the fallen warrior - has been played under the Menin Gate Memorial in Ieper, Belgium.

www.lastpost.be

Respect !

Carnation

Street Tracker
Ypres? Wipers my grandfather called it - he was wounded there.

My stepdaughter is going there in October with her school to visit the memorials there.