Official Photo Of The Triumph's All-new Tiger Dirt Bike:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
The street version is purely street ? Its not a Dual Purpose?

I guess I would only be interested in the XC then with the beak. Big front wheel and more suspension.

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
They are both dual purpose. The XC is just more off road oriented.

I bet the beak is a bolt on part that will come right off.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
That would be a great price point. Seems under 10k is the magic number these days.

The "official pricing" was just released, I was off by about $500 for each model:

Tiger 800
$9,999

Tiger 800 ABS
$10,799

Tiger 800 XC
$10,999

Tiger 800 XC ABS
$11,799

ivar

TT Racer
The street version is purely street ? Its not a Dual Purpose?

I guess I would only be interested in the XC then with the beak. Big front wheel and more suspension.

If it was pure street, I'd think it would have a 17" front wheel (like the Tiger 1050)...?
IMO, the 19" front wheel on our Bonnies/Scramblers seem to work pretty good on both gravel and sealed roads.

slobinski

Scooter
Actually, I'm giving that some thought. After just completing a valve clearance adjustment, (which required removing most of the plastic bodywork, the radiator, and rear wheel), I was tempted to push my Strom out to the highway and place a "Free to good home" sign on it. The Tiger 800 is looking very tempting.

My Bonneville will be due for a valve clearance check/adjustment soon. The relative simplicity of its vertical twin engine makes this job something I almost look forward to.

Anybody here ever worked on an in-line Triple??

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I wonder if V-Strommers will ditch their 650 V-Twins for these.

I won't be ditching my V-Strom for the new Triumph. I'll be ditching it just because I love my Scrambler so much more. Plus all my fellow V-Strommers are old farts and many of them love to tell you how much better they are at everything.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Roy ,

how is the V-Strom? I understand they are faster than a Bonny, the poor man's monster, but are they any good in the dirt? As in fun in the dirt? You can drive grandma's Buick off road but what's the point, you know what I mean?

DandyDoug

750cc
Sal ,
I had a V Strom 650 for a while, I did not find it to be faster than my Bonneville and as for dirt. Well I only rode it on a few dirt roads, it's too heavy for me to use on any serious off road stuff, but I'm not an off roader anyway.

It was a nice bike but has a terrible problem with buffeting off the fairing and windscreen. I tried to cure that issue but to no avail and I sold the bike .

In retrospect I wish I had kept it now and continued to work on the buffeting issue, I am told there are several other things I could have tried. Others I talked with are very satisfied with their Strom's.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
According to Peter Egan, the KLR 650 is the bike to have. He is even more dirt oriented, prefering the DRZ 400 for dirt and the KLR as a "tall arounder". I don't know if Egan changed his view on that because of the new Tiger, maybe he will. But the price difference is huge - the Tiger is nearly double the KLR in price.

DandyDoug

750cc
A buddy of mine has owned a V Strom, a 1050 Tiger and a KLR. He went on a trip to Nova Scotia a couple years back , he rode the KLR.
Over on the Adventure Riders or Motorcycle Tourers forums there are tons of riders with each type and make of bike. If I were looking at adv style bikes I would go there and ask a lot of questions.
I am interested in riding the new smaller Tiger 800, but doubt I'm ever going to buy one.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Roy ,

how is the V-Strom? I understand they are faster than a Bonny, the poor man's monster, but are they any good in the dirt? As in fun in the dirt? You can drive grandma's Buick off road but what's the point, you know what I mean?

DandyDoug is correct. The Vstrom is slower (I have the 650 so the 1000 may be quicker??). Off road is exactly as Doug said. It is a bit too top heavy and I don't care what anyone says, this bike was not intended to be an off road bike. My Scrambler handles better than the strom. The only advantage the strom has is that you can carry a lot of gear.

Is the Vstrom 650cc engine any different than the sv650's? I know it's the same basic block, but is there a different state of tune? My buddy rides a 2007 or 2008 sv650 and the thing is pretty quick. It SMOKED my Bonnie (even with Pods, Preds, etc) until I added 904cc kit, big carbs, etc etc etc, and now they just about hang evenly with each other.

nohawk

Rocker
I know the cams and airbox are different between the two 650's but the dl1000 has an awsome engine, I had this one around for awhile and I loved it. My friend in Austin has been riding it since last January and he loves it. Has over 70,000 miles on it now and no trouble...
stromass.jpg

IMG00157.jpg
[/IMG]