<--- Newbie

Insterereo

Two Stroke
Hey guys, just found your forum today. I've been obsessing and dreaming about Triumph Bonneville's for the past month. This seems like a good place to talk about it with people who know what they're talking about

A year ago I got my M class license and got a Vespa to commute to work and occasionally to La Jolla (live in downtown San Diego). I recently paid off the Vesp, and now I'm toying with the idea of going to the next step. The bonneville is like if a machine took my personality and created the perfect motorcycle to match it. Basic. Classic. Easy. Badass. So i've been researching like crazy and weighing all the pro's and cons. The danger isn't really an issue as I am already in that category due to the vespa riding. I'm not sure if i want an 8 year loan under my belt as I just paid off my first one! anyway, rambling.

One thing i've read a lot about is the AI removal procedure. I cant for the life of me figure out where the contraption is from looking at the pics. Does anyone have a before and after shot of removing the AI box? i'd appreciate this. Thanks!

potential fellow t100 owner,

Brian

rodburner

Rocker
Welcome Brian. Don`t worry about another 8 year loan.Life is too short for that to be a concern. You probably pay more for cable and phone every month anyway,and having a Bonnie is way more relaxing than those bills to stomach.If its really bugging you,give up one cup of Starbucks a day,and your in. As for the AI,the only outward signs are the little chrome tubes right next to the sparkplugs. Everything else is hidden under the tank and in your case [Cali models] a couple extra bits under the back of the engine..
Steve

Nick Morey

Rocker
:welcome: Brian, +1 what Steve said about life and bike loan. You'll love this bike! It is not only a great first or second bike it's a great bike period. :cheers:

anthone

Scooter
brian(na), i think you forgot these traits unassociated with the triumph but definitely left out by yourself in regard to your "personality";
poser,egotistic,trendy,no passion for riding;just concerned with looks;status;cost(s)

if you do find the assets and time to purchase/waste a precious Bonneville on yourself, please do The Bike a favor and find the nearest cliff and jump off of it.

i do not look forward to your reply!
only because it will be a silly attempt at negating the obvious(stated above).
otherwise, i do look forward to the entertainment to come.

P.S Vespa ? ? ? that explains everything...

wolfie

Two Stroke
brian(na), i think you forgot these traits unassociated with the triumph but definitely left out by yourself in regard to your "personality";
poser,egotistic,trendy,no passion for riding;just concerned with looks;status;cost(s)

if you do find the assets and time to purchase/waste a precious Bonneville on yourself, please do The Bike a favor and find the nearest cliff and jump off of it.

Wow! Three whole posts, and you're already trying to run off newbs and pick fights. Way to endear yourself to the community.

etherman

Scooter
:welcome:

:lol: The "MODS" need to stick with scooters. :lol2: Sorry:welcome:

Last edited:

T-boy

Rocker
Brian...Welcome. AI removal is a relatively simple process. However, isn't California going to start emissions checking on motorcycles in 2 or 3 years? I'm no expert, but I don't think a bike with AI removed will pass. Maybe some of west coast riders will weigh in on how they will handle the emission checks after AI, airbox, and pipe mods have been done.

P.S. There is a reason you are dreaming and obsessing about a Bonnie...they are great bikes.

Nick Morey

Rocker
Brian...Welcome. AI removal is a relatively simple process. However, isn't California going to start emissions checking on motorcycles in 2 or 3 years? I'm no expert, but I don't think a bike with AI removed will pass. Maybe some of west coast riders will weigh in on how they will handle the emission checks after AI, airbox, and pipe mods have been done.

P.S. There is a reason you are dreaming and obsessing about a Bonnie...they are great bikes.

If that's the case, do what I've been doing since modifying. SAVE EVERYTHING. If you ever sell, it will be worth more anyway.

schnabba

Two Stroke
I removed the AI off of a 2007 - should have just left it in place. It does give a little more room when replacing plugs, but I never saw a worthwhile benefit. YMMV though.

wolfie

Two Stroke
I removed the AI off of a 2007 - should have just left it in place. It does give a little more room when replacing plugs, but I never saw a worthwhile benefit. YMMV though.

Yup. Unless one is going to do exhaust mods and rejet, I see no benefit to removing the AI. Mine was removed before it was ever started, by the dealer who explained that it would prevent exhaust bluing. When the tech returned from the inspection ride, my pipes were blue to the second bend.

One would be better served by coating the inside of the pipes with Kreem before start up.

Threewheelbonni

Two Stroke
Wow! Three whole posts, and you're already trying to run off newbs and pick fights. Way to endear yourself to the community.

That's what I thought; a bit harsh IMHO. I'm the last one to have anything going on with a bike except riding it, but if the guy likes the style it's his money.

The stock bike will do everything required. Leave the AI thing on unless it starts to annoy you. I took mine off to be able to get at the plugs. Melting snow on the head is a PITA unless you can grease up the HT leads. Not a problem in California I believe!

I assume the 8 year loan thing is for a new bike? No chance of buying used? These bikes go back as far as 2001 are are pretty indestructable. I wouldn't pay the depreciation on a new one again given the number of good ones out there.

And Finally, Welcome to the group :)

Andy

Insterereo

Two Stroke
I found an older post by Anthone; he states:

"i would visualize james dean or steve mcqueen tearing ass off into the sunset" (in regards to visualizing a bonneville)

"like, im not some punk kid who just wants to start shyte with the world"

i think he is the only one talking about riding a bonneville for looks? also, obviously that quote about not starting shit with the world is a complete lie....and...james dean? really? are you a 13 year-old girl?

anyway

thanks everyone for your feedback, i have another question:

carbs v. EFI (2008 v. 2009) ???

i've read pros and cons about both, whats the deal?

Insterereo

Two Stroke
That's what I thought; a bit harsh IMHO. I'm the last one to have anything going on with a bike except riding it, but if the guy likes the style it's his money.

The stock bike will do everything required. Leave the AI thing on unless it starts to annoy you. I took mine off to be able to get at the plugs. Melting snow on the head is a PITA unless you can grease up the HT leads. Not a problem in California I believe!

I assume the 8 year loan thing is for a new bike? No chance of buying used? These bikes go back as far as 2001 are are pretty indestructable. I wouldn't pay the depreciation on a new one again given the number of good ones out there.

And Finally, Welcome to the group :)

Andy

hah! Ya, in San Diego, it rarely gets below 50 or over 80, at any given time in the year. so i guess i'd just leave it alone. thanks andy

six by six

Two Stroke
Hey welcome to the board! Good to have a San Diegan on here. I live in Oceanside actually, close enough. I just bought an 04 Bonnie last August and got to ride it for 3 months before I had to go to Iraq. I get back next month so if you get your bike let me know. I have a pile of go fast parts in my garage waiting to go on. The AI is coming off just to clean up the look and make it easier to get to the plugs. Pipes are already way blue.

Don't listen to him. Only has three posts anyway. I got a 250 cc scooter before the Bonnie and I still ride the scooter. People like him are actually few and far between on this forum.

There's some riding clubs around S.D. also that are about Brit bikes. Never rode with them though. Anyway welcome!

six by six

Two Stroke
Oh yeah, I'd recommend used. A SoCal bike should be in great condition anyway. Used Bonnies don't pop up on Craigslist every day but they do come up.

koifarm

Hooligan
somehow I get the creepy feeling that MikeZenart is lurking under a new handle.....
Anyone else?
Anyway, boy anthone you sure started out stomping on toes there....chill dude, it's a great board.....give us a chance to know your delightful personality before you start shooting live ammo....lol....:welcome::welcome::D:rockon::lol2::lol3:

Threewheelbonni

Two Stroke
carbs v. EFI (2008 v. 2009) ???

EFI: Easier starting from cold, better fuel economy/range, adapts itself to minor changes in silencers etc. Should never go wrong, but if it does will usually be minor electrical faults. If you ever fry the ECU it's $$$$ or ££££ (so take it off for welding, not like the Long Way Up/Down/Sideways with a twist loons).

Carbs: Nothing wrong with 'em, worked for years. Lots of people here who can tell you which nasty fiddly bit of brass or rubber to change if they go wrong or you fit a new pipe. Can be easier to tune for a modified bike, but most people stick to the basics (unless they bought an Enfield!). Long term (10 years plus) you will get a holed diaphragm or blocked jet. Any mechanic will be able to set the things up again if you find what broke and get stuck at the tune up.

I have carbs but would be happy with FI. Pick the one that gets you the best deal. If all things were equal I'd go FI.

Don't worry about BMW/Guzzi horror stories. The first production years often have the wrong FI maps that cause surging and/or stalling. Triumph seem to have got theirs spot on straight out of the box.

Andy