Need Opinions...Got One?

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
So I'm going up next week to look at a few more places on Hwy 11. What other things would you like to see? I'm thinking small food service, nothing major, just burgers and such. What else does everyone want? How about a DIY maintanance area, covered, with lifts and such?

I'm torn on the thought of having booze. I want a comfortable place for people to hang out and socialize, but am very much against drinking and riding. It's fine for anyone who's staying the night obviously, but that will be difficult to control. Maybe BYOB for overnighters?

How many of you stop at the station at 11/178 when you ride the area? It seems to be the biggest bike hangout during weekends. If so, would you like a place to hang out that's not a gas station, where you could get a bite and meet up, or would you rather just stop at the station, gas and go?

Thanks again for all the input! I want to make a place everyone will want to go, and will really enjoy.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Ok, here's this Canuck's $0.02

FUEL: if not on hand, then nearby

TOOLS: most service stations on major highways, if you ask nicely have basic tools to borrow. Lifts and such? Too much in my opinion. A sheltered, well lit area for work with basic tools would be enough. If somebody needed a lift, then they probably have bigger problems then what you would want to deal with.

FOOD/DRINKS: Gas station, homemade sandwiches etc. Plently of different hot and cold fluids.

BEER/LIQUOR: although tasty and refreshing, I would stay away from. Alot of people like to have a beer or two AFTER a ride, but what about the idiots who like to pound a couple before a ride? Legally, they could come after you should anything happen.

BIKES: shelter from the elements is ideal...but...

You need to sit down and make out a proper business plan. Alot of people on here are throwing out some good ideas, but there are alot. Some you have thought about and maybe some you haven't, making you change your mind, add/delete your original plan. How complex do you want your site, how many services, where etc etc. Would you want it to be a class specific site, ie HD, cruisers, SS etc etc? Make sure you put ALOT of thought into this venture, and then put some more. I am not trying to dissuade you, just making sure that you go in with both eyes open and seeing clearly.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

Uesque

Scooter
Pets, cabins that accept pets. We'd camp a lot more often if we could take the dog. You would get a lot more Goldwings that way.:lol:

KingBear

Hooligan
As far as the booze goes I'd say yes to beer and wine, no to the hard stuff. People are gonna drink if they want to drink and they are better off drinking where they will be sleeping instead of drinking elsewhere then riding back to the bunkhouse.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Yea, I agree with that. But what about the people that come to meet up with friends? They meet up in the AM, ride the mountains for a few hours, then come back by for a bite before they split up for the ride home. They have a few beers while swapping stories but still have to ride home. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to inflict my beliefs on anyone else, and people are gonna do what they're gonna do, but if they do it on my property it then affects me. I'm pretty liberal by nature, but I have to find a way to deal with this.

Oh well, that's a while down the road anyway. The first issue is to find a suitable place! So back to the original question-how many of you who live in the SC/NC/GA/TN area would likely come by and check the place out if I were in the upstate SC area? I know what Dude is saying, he's got some of the best riding anywhere, but eventually you'll wanna go see something else right? And don't knock Rocky Bottom till you've tried it. Lots of fun, but less traveled than some of the "motorcycle" roads.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Thrux,

I admire this idea, and maybe its the independant Triumph buyer talking but I would rather stay at a resort that is great because its a great resort. Not a magnet for bikers.

Not dissing the idea. But I think your resort would have to be a great place for all types of people before I would stay there.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
No, I agree. That's one of my goals. Seems too many of the "bike" campgrounds don't welcome RV's and such, and a lot of the RV places don't really want bikes. I aim to be a place you want to come to.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Gotta ask one more time...Has anyone been to Tellico? There's some spots on Tn 68 a few miles south of Tellico that look possible. Just wondering if anyone has experience in the area.

oldroadie

Scooter
You can hardly go wrong for great rides up that way. I rode the Cherohala Skyway last summer, nice ride and great views. It's going to be pretty brisk up there until spring, tho...

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Yea, most of the places up there close for 5 months. Not exactly sure what I'd do for 5 months. It would be great if I could come back to Florida for the winters, but with school age kids I would have to stay up there and hunker in.

So who else has been to the area? I know we've got a lot of people in the Carolinas and N. Georgia. Let's hear from you...