Need Opinions...Got One?

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Hello all! I'm asking for your opinions here, so let 'em rip.
I'm planning to open my own business in a few more years, a motorcycle resort, and I'm trying to nail down some details.

Would you, if you had the option, stay at a motorcycle resort that allowed you to trailer your bikes or bring them in an RV hauler?

Would you take advantage of a "family friendly" area, where you could bring the entire family, leave the children with qualified care during the day while you rode? (think cruise line child care)

Would you prefer to stay in a tent, hotel/motel type room or a log cabin?

Would you travel to the Upstate SC area for vacation? (near the border of SC, NC, GA) and if so how far from you is this?

Thanks for any input, I can't wait to see what everyone has to say.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Oh, and how many of you have visited a "motorcycle campground" or similar, such as TWO, 29 Dreams, etc... What did you like or not like?

KingBear

Hooligan
I get it. Not a bad idea, of course you would have to be able to identify some features that make you different from any other hotel or resort. Proximity to primo riding roads is paramount, but significant road construction projects in the area could put you out of business. Something to think about.
  • Would you, if you had the option, stay at a motorcycle resort that allowed you to trailer your bikes or bring them in an RV hauler?
    • Yes, but can't I do that at almost any other resort or lodging facility? What would make yours different is designated trailer parking, a secure place to store the bike, on-site fueling, etc. That would work.
  • Would you take advantage of a "family friendly" area, where you could bring the entire family, leave the children with qualified care during the day while you rode? (think cruise line child care)
    • Excellent idea. Kids like water so a lake or pool would be best, plus hiking, the usual outdoor sports, and of course video games. Even better try to locate yourself near some other family-type recreational area or amusement park and poach their resources. You know, drop the kids at Six Flags in the morning and come back for them that afternoon or evening, and something else for the smallest kids.
  • Would you prefer to stay in a tent, hotel/motel type room or a log cabin?
    • Bikers like to be able to keep an eye on their rides so cabins with the bike parked right outside the door would work for me. Tents would be second, followed by motor inn-style and then contemporary hotel. Offer cabins, RV parking, and tent or trailer camping to cover the most options for the least investment.
  • Would you travel to the Upstate SC area for vacation? (near the border of SC, NC, GA) and if so how far from you is this?
    • Like many Americans I won't drive anywhere for vacation that I can't get to within one day, so that gives me about a 600 to 800-mile radius. Farther than that and I fly, and I have yet to find an airline that will let me check my bike. But you consider beyond that you get into the flat fly-over country. If people will drive one day to get to your location that puts your most distant market at Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Dallas, and Houston. Those folks might want to get away from the flat and straight roads and come to the lush, hilly areas to ride. Most folks up and down the eastern US (except for Florida) have the same kind of riding you'll find in the Carolinas, so I would say you would have to look west for your clientele. The climate in the east is going to be tough. Yeah it's moderate in the south during the winter, but hot and humid during the summer when most people are thinking about riding and vacations. And what will be your off-season appeal?
I think it's a good concept, but specialty resorts are a tough business. I've seen it tried for the shooting/sporting clays market with limited success.

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder
I visit TWOs because it's on my regular favorite roads - corner of Hwy 60 and Hwy 180. I doubt I would ever stay there if I was traveling. It's a bunkhouse set up or camping. Neither of which I'm into ... that's just me. I prefer comfort and dont like others (I dont know) sharing my space.

Deals Gap - again - it's on the roads I like to ride - corner of Hwy 129 and Hwy 28. I would not stay there cause of the lack of comfort levels it provides. Maybe when I was younger, but then I was broke all the time and didnt been plan motorcycle trips to the mountains (no single girls frequent them).

29 Dreams - I'm thinking it's closer to me than TWOs, but I have NEVER been to it. I just dont ride over that way. But, I hear it's a popular spot for the Harley guys - which makes sense ... a bunch of flat-ass roads and large groups of cruisers ride over that way.

As for me; I'm the ride in, take a break, ride off kind of visitor to these kind of places ... I'm looking for FOOD, a BATHROOM, a spot where I can RELAX for a few, and some FUEL nearby. TWOs offers unlimited sweet/unsweet tea for a $1 - serve yourself and plenty of chairs on the porch, benches, and picnic tables to chill and look at bikes - and the bikes are parked right where everyone stands around near the entrance. If I was touring, I'd still stay at a regular hotel ... and visit the MC resorts as a stoping/breaking spot.

IMO, you'll need to put your motorcycle resort ON a popular destination roadway (LOCATION is everything), have a grill, and a toilet. The fuel and overnight accommodations are a plus,

mrt202

Street Tracker
If you've never been to this place, you should check it out as part of your research on the idea. It's a first class setup!
http://www.ironhorsenc.com/
Interestingly enough, it was built by another Floridian who wanted to retire to the area.
If you're gonna do it, do it right!

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Ok, some replies-
Kingbear, You make some excellent points to think about. I am hoping to get on the water, if not the lake a large stream or similar. One thing I want to offer is that most places that are "RV campgrounds" would rather not have bikes around, and most M/C places don't allow RV's, or even cars for that matter. Iron Horse is a notable exception.

Sweat and Ace, we'll have at least a bar, not so sure about the titties, but I'm OK with it...

Ricky, cool idea, but more of a "riding trail" than I wanna tackle.

Bonafide, Couldn't agree more. TWO is not the type of place I'd stay, no offense to anyone here who would/did. Just too "communal" for my tastes. 29 Dreams is more the type of place you describe. It's set up for day visits, and occasional overnights. I want to welcome people to drop in, but focus more on lodging, at least at first. I hope to be able to expand and add a restaurant/bar, possibly entertainment. I just really don't have any desire to be in the foodservice industry, so it won't be my first goal anyway. As far as locating it on a destination highway, that's been one of my criteria. Just not sure where. I kinda want to stay away from NC since there are so many places there, and I don't want the road too twisty, so RV's can get there easily, but must be near the good roads for the bikes. I'm leaning towards Hwy 11 up near Table Rock somewhere.

Mrt202, never been to Iron Horse, but from the look of the place, that's almost just what I had in mind. Love the layout, the stream, and log cabins. Gotta go by there one of these days.

By the way, I hope to eventually grow to the point of offering accessories, repair, or possibly a repair facility where people can work on their own, with lifts, major tools etc. Food and drinks, lots of shade. Hopefully someday be able to host large group rides, maybe even the Triumph demo truck once a year. People can come in during the day and just get a snack and sit in the shade, or come for vacation and stay a week.

Ok, what else have you got for me? Keep it coming!

REVOLT

Street Tracker
Running water...bathrooms must have running water...the key word is 'Clean'...

I Love "Rough'n it", but if I'm traveling on my Bonnie...I demand proper facilities to stay clean...Shower...NO Port-O-Johns...those are for concerts and fairgrounds...

and Security...someone to roam the Grounds to keep an eye on things...

and an Air Tank(s) to check tires...

There is more...Stand-By

T-boy

Rocker
By the way, I hope to eventually grow to the point of offering accessories, repair, or possibly a repair facility where people can work on their own, with lifts, major tools etc. Ok, what else have you got for me? Keep it coming!

Ah-h-h-h...Accessories, tools, repair facility. Now that's a novel approach...certainly would set you apart from the others! Depending on the remoteness of your final site selection...Guided fishing or hiking.

I prefer tents, RV's, or cabins. And yes, a nearby watering hole. Child/Day Care is a good idea, also.

Good luck with your endeavor. My hat's off to anybody that has the guts to start their own business!

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Not into camping anymore. My idea of a campsite is a nice place by a pool with a clean room 50ft away. When I was camping on a bike trip half the places we camped were free and alot of the others were at KOAs cuz they always had room for tenters. Plus all the retired RVers would feed us breakfast and confab about where we had been and where we were going. But that was another era..... pre-Goldwing.

I never knew there were 2 wheels specific camping sites. I would think you'd pull in the Euro crowd pretty easily.

oldroadie

Scooter
29 Dreams - I'm thinking it's closer to me than TWOs, but I have NEVER been to it. I just dont ride over that way. But, I hear it's a popular spot for the Harley guys - which makes sense ... a bunch of flat-ass roads and large groups of cruisers ride over that way.

You couldn't be more wrong about the roads but you're pretty much right about the HD overload and it's more camping than resort at this stage. Best burger in the South, though, and that's saying a lot.

BonnieLass

Uncensored
If you do offer camping, offer complete gear rentals (and setup for an extra fee). The major thing between me and bike camping (besides the fact that I'm a guaranteed rain-magnet) is having to load, haul, unload, setup all that extra gear. I've seen some rallys that offer this sort of service.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
For the BMW crowd, and others I am sure, having a mix would be ideal. A friend of mine is contemplating a similar approach in VA.

About 10 cabins with wide portches for parking the bike under and having outside sitting areas in front. Basic cabin with small bathrooms, think Super8 motel room cabins.

Spaces for 10-15 motorhomes with hook-ups and a pad for MC parking.

20 spaces for tent camping with room and pads for bike parking plus fire rings for camp fires.

Small store with a deli, beer, moto-supplies and selling/renting camping gear and firewood.

Pavillion for groups to use for nightly get-togethers with picnic tables.

Cleaning pad with water and old towels. We talked about a covered service pad with tool rental as well.

Lastly, year round accomodations, great location, and proper advertising. Word of mouth will do the rest if you are good.

Jim :cool:

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Sounds like you and your friend have put some thought into this as well. Just out of curiosity, how much land is he planning on? I figure 10 acres minimum, 20 would be better. I imagine it could be done on 5 depending on the area, but I don't want to have to be so close to the property line because you never know what'll move in next door.

Bonnielass, good to hear from ya! Setup is a good idea, makes it much easier to just load up and go. I also planned on delivering firewood around to the campsites on request. What's camping w/o a bonfire?

Bonafide

NBR founder
You couldn't be more wrong about the roads but you're pretty much right about the HD overload and it's more camping than resort at this stage. Best burger in the South, though, and that's saying a lot.

The opinion is subjective and I've ridden your area there enough to know it doesnt even compare to tri-state area of GA/TN/NC ... and seeing how I live in the middle of the two areas ... it's an easy choice which way I point it when I want a plethora of curvy roads.

Making a blanket statement about burgers? Get real ...

Thruxtonian - here's where me and my buddies stay when we do a week of riding. www.cyclecabin.com - just an idea of other things out there that people are doing for a second income during retirement. It sits right ON hwy 129 near the top of blood mtn, has pavement - not gravel - and is fully furnished and then some.
aug2008.jpg

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Bonafide-I've never heard of it. Cool idea tho. You know I've never actually riden Blood Mountain. A guy I work with goes up a few times a year and he's always going on about it. Guess I'll have to check it out. How far from Helen?

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
No offense but I would not. I picture screaming motors outside my door at 2am., gangs of drunks,long waits for the gas pump..

If I ever did travel to a MC resort there better be some excellent scenery that is otherwise inaccessable or hard to get to.

Just my humble opinion....