Need a group conscience on a MAJOR mod

Craigore

TT Racer
I agree with sweat. I took a look again at that bike... he's right, those lines are odd. I don't know... I honestly think that the triumph looks better as a cafe styled bike. Bob an xs, cb or sportster I'm suggesting.

P1010099-1.jpg

55455d1246934169-basketcase-hardtail-springer-sportster-downsized_0530091911-1-.jpg

Last edited:

ssjones

750cc
something about the lines of that weld-on hardtail....it's just wrong. I know and love hardtails and something just looks bent/jacked/out of proportion with the weld-on. As much as I want to like it...that silver bike with the haridtail is ugly.

I thought the same thing, it just doesn't flow. Choppaheads frames are stretched a few more inches (it appears), which really seems to make it look right.

I'd probably not have the stones to chop my bike, if it was in good shape, a salvage bike wouldn't hurt as bad....
http://www.choppahead.com/set.html?index.html

psycho2.jpg

Craigore

TT Racer
Actually, the Choppahead (freakin' awesome company- I suggest the DVDs by the way) frame comes "any stretch, any rake". You could essentially get stock rake and 2" - 4" stretch which is typical of most bobbers.

If I didn't have a girlfriend who rides pillion I'd do that to mine... but alas I'm a young lad with resistance to discomfort with much resilience.

The "underground" chopper/bobber culture is awesome. I'm envious of these guys' skills... the ability to chop, hack and weld makes most of our attempts at bolt-on mods seem amateur.

I kinda like that 2nd pic you put up. Granted, I'd do a few things different, but on that bike, about the only thing that sticks out to me is the tank. I think a mid seventies Bonnie tank would look better. I've got no problems with the frame, though I see what they're talkin' about. I'd also go with a minimal front fender. Yeah, fenderless looks bad and all that, but if you've ever put any serious miles on a bike without one, you know where I'm coming from...

As far as frames & Choppahead goes, check out this guy's website.

www.tanksbytigman.com

Dave Huntress is his name. He does outstanding work. HE built the frame for the Choppahead bike pictured above & he's workin' on a hardtail frame for me right now. I haven't known him long, but from what he tells me, he does alot of frames for those guys. Simple math baby. Wholesale vs. retail. Who do ya' think's gonna charge more?

Goin' in a totally different direction, you could do something like this:

DSC03855.jpg

The guy lengthened the swingarm. A complete description of the process can be found at Bonnevilleamerica.com in the customs section under 'Just finished'. Goin' this route would give you an awesome look and save you a ton of dinero. Just sayin'...

Texas94fs

Hooligan
No stretch keep the front end just the way it is and throw on a short hardtail. As for the color. . .well thats all you.

Craigore

TT Racer
thing about a triumph is that I think 4" of stretch looks silly cause there's so much damn space and nothing to fill it with. Unless you mount in there a huge "oil tank"

Shiner

Scooter
I know you said that you like the forks but I see a gerder front end on there. I'm trying to think of Paul's last name that took over Indian Larry's shop in Brooklyn. He fabricates the gerder front ends. They look fantastic and are totally functional for a bobber. Shiner

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Got a buddy in Cary (NC) who's preparing to offer a bolt on (low-buck) hardtail conversion for a Hinckley Bonnie. The kit will include everything you'll need to convert you stock Bonnie to a hardtail. And, when the time comes, you can take it back stock if you want to sell the bike, or if your butt gets tired...

HT5.jpg

HT2.jpg

Got a buddy in Cary (NC) who's preparing to offer a bolt on (low-buck) hardtail conversion for a Hinckley Bonnie. The kit will include everything you'll need to convert you stock Bonnie to a hardtail. And, when the time comes, you can take it back stock if you want to sell the bike, or if your butt gets tired...

that fake hardtail kit is lame IMO. Also his claim that you can "bolt on" and "go back to stock" is bullshit. You have to cut half the frame off to mount his fake hardtail struts. How are you going back to stock after that? Weld back on the part you already cut off? Bullshit.

Craigore

TT Racer
yeah ew I don't like that at all. Neither am I a fan of struts. if you're gonna do it, DO IT RIGHT. that "hardtail kit" just seems so cheap and prefabbed... no style or personality.

DIRK

750cc
let's not beat him up until we see what he has to offer. mayhaps it's not crap. if it is we will sure tell him then.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
that fake hardtail kit is lame IMO. Bullshit.

Well, we all know what they say about opinions, and we all know you're certainly not afraid to let us know what yours is..

I say what they're doing might just be the cat's meow for some.. certainly not for a master custom bike builder like you.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Chris....nothing personal Sweatmachine is like that with everyoneeeeeeeeeee:fight::rocket:
LMT

No foul.. he's simply showing his ignorance by spewing his Bovine Scatology around the net. He's done the same thing on other Triumph related forums, and he normally ends up pissing off guys who otherwise wouldn't be pissed off. He's simply one of those "if it ain't to my liking, it's shit' guys. They're everywhere... and of course that's merely my opinion.. (refer to comment above about opinions).

Ride safe, and often..