Need a group conscience on a MAJOR mod

Bonniebret

Rocker
OK guys, I need your feedback. After attending the VBMC and Jeremy of LC Fabrications letting me take his modified Bonnie for a spin around the track I've become obsessed with turning my 05 Bonnie into a hardtail. It will take time, money, and leave me without a bike for a while but I can't stop think about it. What say you? If anything it would be a great project to follow on our blog. Below is a quick comp I threw together of what I envision...

picture19qc.jpg

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder
It's cool and all (except the hairy wooden tank) - but having a hard tail bike kinda limits your riding experiences. It's not like you'll head off for a mountain run on that thing or load up some packs and ride to Barbers in Alabama for Vintage Days ... just sayin ... if it's your ONLY bike and you like riding to more places than just the local bars ... probably not the best idea.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
The tank is an abomination. Otherwise, yeah - what Bonafide said. If it's just for going to the local car show, then maybe its fine. It looks kind of kool, except for that tank. Not my cup of tea.

Carnation

Street Tracker
That would be a bobber then? mmmmmmmmmm..........maybe you could do the tank in a bright blue or silver? and ditch the pipe wrap. and chrome engine covers and valve cover.

Soulrebel

Street Tracker
lose the pad on the fender, put some clip-on's on the forks, get some firestone tires... not those modern meats, fix the way the tank sits..doesn't look right. Maybe not so much stretch in the hardtail. Oh fuck it, go buy a salvage Bonnie and keep yours the way it is. That way you wont be in a hurry to get it done and you will do it right the first time. Its nice to be able to tear off and go for a ride when the build becomes frustrating. just sayin.

Bonniebret

Rocker
Here's the dealio, I have a Bonnie Black so I'm leaving the engine black. Open to chrome elsewhere. I actually planned on fashioning a sprocket cover out of one of my old CA license plates.

Craigore

TT Racer
I love hardtails... I'd look at the xs650 or an old CB, even a 1200 Sporty to hardtail before doing it to my own Bonneville... just sayin.

By the way, the mufflers on that thing freaking rule. I assume they're custom.. I'd like a set... anyone know anything about them?

something about the lines of that weld-on hardtail....it's just wrong. I know and love hardtails and something just looks bent/jacked/out of proportion with the weld-on. As much as I want to like it...that silver bike with the haridtail is ugly.

rodburner

Rocker
OK,you asked. No P-pad
no on the silver tank,even the rusty one looks better
no on the mono shock seat,looks to busy under there,regular hair pin springs would be fine
the USD forks are growing on me,but a Durfee girder would be awesome
no header wrap,just black paint
get those tiny battery packs and shrink that box by half or more
ask me again tomorrow,I`ll have a whole nother pinion.:chair:
Having not ridden a hardtail in 35 years,I can`t say its the right move,but it sure will look sweet.

Soulrebel

Street Tracker
blah blah blah... Maybe not so much stretch in the hardtail. Oh fuck it, go buy a salvage Bonnie and keep yours the way it is. That way you wont be in a hurry to get it done and you will do it right the first time. Its nice to be able to tear off and go for a ride when the build becomes frustrating. QUOTE]

I didn't metion a Vespa. :huh: But if that's the other option then ride it.

Craigore

TT Racer
you might not be "a harley guy" but you can do this with less expense to a sportster than you could a triumph I bet.

MuckSavage

Scooter
Looks pretty cool to me. I can admire someone with the time, skill and imagination to do that. (and the dough)

simpson

TT Racer
l...Oh fuck it, go buy a salvage Bonnie and keep yours the way it is. That way you wont be in a hurry to get it done and you will do it right the first time. Its nice to be able to tear off and go for a ride when the build becomes frustrating. just sayin.

+1

Grab a salvage title Bonnie (be careful in NC) and start there.

FWIW I like the rust finish and pipe wrap look. No chrome.

-simpson