My 1972 Triumph T120RV

b717doc

Scooter
Will try to post pics tomorrow, but my buddy, while delivering Dominoes Pizza in Union City, Georgia, called me about this bike. It had been sitting in the woods for decades after being raped of all the expensive parts, tank badges, turn signals, etc. I paid him $200 for it, and has taken over 3 years to get to this point. I kicked it over, had fire at the plugs, and oil pressure, but ran only about 10 minutes before it locked up, busting the right cylinder skirt, and contorting the right connecting rod. Turns out, the "sludge tube" was totally clogged, starving the big end bearings of oil. Ended up replacing the crankshaft, cylinder, and pistons, along with both wheels, new tires, a used seat, handlebars, new tank badges, grab rail, center stand, electronic (Pazon) ignition, regulator/rectifier, coils, speedo unit, and headlight. Got her all back together, rode about 10 miles, and BAM...locked up again...Removed cylinder head and cylinder, right piston scarred deeply, and cylinder scratched. Took cylinder to machine shop, he simply honed it out and handed it back to me. had to buy ANOTHER set of pistons and rings, had clearances checked, was told to RUN IT!! Loaded her up into our trusty AstroVan and drove from Atlanta to Blowing Rock, NC for the annual "3 State Ride", and boy, was I nervous!!!! I unloaded, tweeked, and with like 80 people watching, I kicked her over and she came to life...We all left, me in the lead pack, and rode the entire 214 miles, laughing and having the time of my life...She leaked a little oil, and I lost a couple of nuts, but when we came back into Blowing Rock, me being the 2nd bike in, I experienced the greatest sense of accomplishment I had ever had...She did'nt miss a beat,(except in driving rain I lost both cylinders, but was quickly going again thanks to a soaking of WD 40).... I figure I now have about $3500 in the bike, but she shines like a new penny. I would'nt take any amount of money for her!!!

Rhodie

Street Tracker
Great story and good outcome for one of the old & bold Bonnies!
Looking forward to the pix.

mark66

TT Racer
Great story.....shows a lot can go into one of these restorations. It's always a crap shoot when riding one of these classics, never sure if, when or where you will break down but when you make it back like you said, the feeling is fantastic. Can't wait to see your pics.

b717doc

Scooter
Here's a few pics from out visit to T.W.O last summer. Bill was on his BSA, Greg was on his 72 TR6, and Cass on his Harley....Had a BLAST! The bike has been re-painted since this pic...BIG DIFFERENCE.

Attachments

• 0904101949b.jpg
    0904101949b.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 0904101949.jpg
    0904101949.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
  • downsize-1 (2).jpg
    downsize-1 (2).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 0

mark66

TT Racer
Looks nice, change the tank and engine and you've got my '72 BSA. I don't know about you but I love the way the '72 handles. Feels much lighter and handles quicker than the '70 style.