Most stupid thing you have done while riding

henrys

Street Tracker
I rode a enduro bike a high speed through some back roads in Nigeria without a helmet after having one beer too many. I look back at that and thank god I didn't crash (or get pulled over by some corrupt Nigerian cop).

07black&red

Two Stroke
Dusk. Riding home along a rural Missouri two lane (each way) in the right lane and I see one of those lifted, 4x4 duallys pull onto the hiway in my lane. No prob. I signal and change lanes to pass him and to give him room to accelerate. Before I catch up to him I notice from the copious amounts of black diesel gushing from the dual, chrome (and totally gay) smoke stacks that he's got the pedal to the metal, apparently to show me how much money he's spent souping up his "hemi". Still no prob. He reaches the speed limit well ahead of me (& about $12 poorer from the 4 gallons of diesel he just spent) so I signal and move back to the right lane behind him. Seconds later we come up on a slower vehicle traveling our direction in the right lane. Missouri Dodge Boy apparently knows them because he quickly swerves to the left lane, pulls up alongside the much slower car and slams on the brakes to have a chat or to wave at each other like idiots. Now I got a prob because I can't pass these fools. I drop a gear and slam it open and blow right between them at 70+ mph. Fuck 'em, right!! This apparently makes M. D. B. feel like less of a man (or calls attention to his gnat-sized genitalia) and he floors it and catches up to my 865cc ride in a hurry. I look over and the passenger rolls the very tinted window down and points a fucking stainless steel Dirty Harry at me!! OH SHIT! He's going to fucking shoot me!!! I turn my head forward and as luck would have it, there is a speed trap cop with his lights flashing who had a car pulled over to issue a ticket about a mile up and M.D. B. and his redneck, gun-toting passenger immediately slow down and turn off at the next intersection. 1st and only time I have ever been grateful to see those flashing cherries!!

whyme

TT Racer
My older brother always had bikes. When I was 15 and everyone was away, I would take his bike and any various family car out for joy rides. He had a CB900 with the kill switch that turned off the spark but let the started turn over. I ended up pushing the bike home pretty far after I accidently hit the kill switch. I melted a lot of his tires doing burn outs. Oh yeah, I took it in a car wash bay and did a power brake burn out. Bike went sideway eventually and hit the wall...twisted the triple tree a bit. Blew up a trans on my Dad's car doing power drops from N to D.

I later owned the bike. One time I pulled to a stop and went for the kick stand, missed and was already leaning it over. I caught it at about 3/4 and held it on the foot peg until help arrived. Jack ass.

Wiped in a curve in the sand, I forgot to tell the passenger that she should lean with me and not try to look over my outside shoulder.

I tipped over with my scram at a stop. There was a gully and I could not get my foot on the ground...tossed my wife off the back. Then I tried to lift it. ripped my bicep off the bone. cost me bike parts and medical bills.
Boy I'm dumb.

Phil-1100

Scooter
Five days after meeting my new girl, We rode my RD250 down a very steep hill with a double bend in the middle - Crashed on the double bend, smashed my knee, new girl was in the ditch singing "All shook up"
Something right must have happened, we have been together for 32 years Lol

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
When I was 19 I had a very nice K440 that just couldn't keep up with my friends on their Magnas and GPZ's unless I went over the redline. On one long straight with my buddy's Magna passing me - I was NOT going to be left behind so I just cranked it on. The bike slowed down and then locked the rear wheel.I got it home and tore down the motor and found one of the lower bearings had spun!

Ohio TT

Two Stroke
This thread reminds me of a song my dear departed Dad used to sing. Anyone know the origin?

We were goin' down the highway doin' 90 miles an hour
When the chain on my motorcycle broke
I was layin' in the grass with the muffler up my ass
and her tits were playin' Dixie on the spokes!

Bonniebret

Rocker
Most stupid thing is still TBD. I do however have a bad habit of mentally "checking out" on occasion. I'll catch myself and grip the bars super tight. It scares the shit out me because not only do I know better, I know that will get me killed quicker than anything.

drlapo

Hooligan
I put the first Honda CB750 on the east coast into a guardrail on I84 in Hartford during a test ride
I believed the "word on the street": best superbike ever
I had expected it to handle and expected the disc brake to work
well it handled like a wheelbarrow full of water and the brakes sucked big time

buckstoy

Street Tracker
My older brother always had bikes.....I would take his bike

Hey that story shook a memory loose! I did the same thing at about the age of 18, borrowed my brothers Triumph and went for a ride from Goose Creek to North Charleston, SC. As I was enjoying my evening ride the clutch cable snapped, damn this is going to be hard to hide! Ended up being able to ride it home by timing the lights just right and slamming some gears.:chair:

Hedge

American Infidel
french police scare the crap outta me
They need all that Armour because they don't know how to fight unless someone else is fighting for them!

Hmmm, I seem to remember one of our inmates here that had a kill switch crisis...now who was that?.....
Uh . . . . That would be me! :wave:

Ok - so the dumbest thing I ever did was when i was around my mid 20's, ya gotta realize that this time is very foggy to me but I did own a brand new 1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 Turbo and i was riding home very late from a bar and very drunk and i hit this back road straight-away where i brought her up to about 110 in a 35mph zone and as I got to the end of the road i realized I was running out of road quickly! I locked up both wheels and slid for, what seemed to be a long time, finally slowed down enough to slide across US1, straightened the bike up, but still in a forward slide, ran up over the curb and hit a stone wall head on at about 10mph or so. I fell sideways off the bike and got up immediately, righted the bike, hit the electric start, got it running and quickly tried to get out of there. As I was getting off the curb and back on the street a cop drove by slowly and just stared at me and then continued on. I went home and slept it off but I still think about what could have happened if God decided that he had no further use for me on this planet! Obviously he did because a couple of months later the Bike was stolen from me and that was the end of my motorcycle riding for many years until I decided to buy my Bonneville!

The dumbest was drinking and mcycling - - missed a corner late at night when 16, ran up the curb onto a sidewalk, fast, took the whole block on the sidewalk, popped off, and rode a lot slower the rest of the way home.

Ran into the side of a car at 50mph, also at 16; really the car ran into me - same result. Didn't bike again for 10 years.

With my BSA a decade later, started up from a stop at a light. Now a 71 lightning doesn't have much power, but there was a lot of oil on the road. The result of acceleration was a complete 180. The rear of the bike simply and immediately spun around leaving me staring at and facing the line of cars that were behind me. A lot harder to turn it back around than to spin it out in the first place. Car drivers were amused, as was I.

1. First bike when I'm 17, Suzi TS185 conked out for some unknown reason. Called my Dad who brought my mate "Chopper" who knew about bikes. kick, kick, kick - no luck. OK, we'll bump it. First time for me, this "bump it". So, Dad & Chopper pushing, I dump the clutch in 2nd and the fucker fires up and immediately hits the redline! Shiiit!!! OK, turn off the key - still screaming. Hit the kill switch - still screaming. Chopper shouts - "rip off the plug lead" so I do. Or at least, I intend to. Remember it was bumped? Yeah, and to bump you hold the clutch right? And to rip off the plug lead you use your left hand to get to it right? What's the left hand holding? Ah yes, the clutch lever. 17 years old, no-fucking-idea Pikey lets go of the clutch to grab the plug lead and a micro-nano second later the Suzuki is vertical trying to mate with a lamppost. Duh!

2. Baited by an undercover cop car to 90mph then thought "fuck it", and blitzed him on my 916 and was pulling 140 thinking "heh heh heh, that'll have toasted him". Look in the mirrors and he's 50 yards behind me with blue lights flashing from his radiator grill. Narrowly avoided jail time.

3. Disc lock - say no more.........

Cheers,

Pikey.

Senor Siesta

Scooter
1. Early on (15 yrs old), forgetting to turn when the road curved, to my defense I was watching a girl with great tanned legs riding her bicycle. Ended up locking the brakes just before hitting the curb, rolling into some manicured lawn while getting an ear full from the gardner working the grass. Shame is she never even looked back.

2. Early 20's - Riding my 750 around Waikiki in flip-flops and shorts; lucky, I still have all my toes.

Rocker

Two Stroke
First ride of the season, riding on a 100 series highway checking that the bike was working as it should. because it was May and there was still snow around it was a little chilly, so I took my hand off the bar to reach forward and turn the heater fan up... Been driving a car for six months so what do you expect??:confused:

BobM

Two Stroke
When I was 12 my Dad bought me a used Honda S 90; Silver & black. It was my first bike and it was great. I used to bomb around all over the place with that thing. We lived out in the country so mostly my exploites were in the fields or woods with little on road riding. Well we had a Roadway truck terminal across the street from us so on Sundays when they were doing little moving I used to take it over there and race around the terminal. Well on one side of the parking lot off the tarmac they had this hill that went up at about 45 degrees for about 60 ft then leveled off at the field. Well that was too inviting for this young Evel Knievel wannabe. I would hit that thing and go flying through the air to come down out in the field and ride off. Well one day I got my courage all screwed up and hit that hill at about 50MPH. It was then, up their in the air that I realized just how BAD this idea was. First I had no helmet on, second the angle I had taken was aiming me towards the remnants of an old Field Stone wall, third there was no way in hell I was gonna miss it and it was gonna hurt. I hit the ground about 10 ft from that wall on the rear tire, Then i remember looking up at my Dad an tellin him I think I broke the bike. Well a broken RT Ankle, broken Rt Thumb, cracked RT collar bone, Twisted Forks, slightly out of round rear wheel, blown rear tire and Evel Knevel was done for the rest of that year.

pepper

Street Tracker
Me and my best bud riding handlebar to handlebar at 80 plus across the desert while passing a quart of beer back and forth. Damned stupid, coulda spilt the beer.

Rocker

Two Stroke
when I got my moped. Run out of petrol so cycled it 8 miles. Got home to find I had a reserve switch.

Ended up with a Ruckus scooter somehow. First time I rode it anywhere was to a buddy's to watch the Daytona 200. Of course it took a whole lot longer than I figured to get there so when I arrived I just bailed off the scoot and ran in to watch the race. Hours later when we came out it wouldn't start because I had left the ignition on. Well we tried bump starting it but it's automatic/centrifugal or something so that didn't work and we were really too old to be running around like teenagers. Started to take the bodywork apart to find the battery so we could boost it, gave up on that, bear in mind it's cold outside here in March. Figured the best thing was to fire it into the back of my buddies CJ5,but eventually figured out that it wouldn't fit which is probably why a CJ7 is longer. It was while we were wrestling and cursing with it to get it unjamed from the back of the CJ that I banged my head on the kick-start..... :stupid: