Most stupid thing you have done while riding

78gold

Two Stroke
Stooopid Things

Riding on some tracks at the back of home on an old suzuki ag bike chasing another mate on a Honda XL250. Dangerously outmuscled I was riding flat out everywhere just to keep up. Col did a tight left and I didnt, rode straight into a brick Pit. Luckily I landed some 15 Feet down on the service road, unluckily I had one leg each side of the fuel tank :(:eek:wned:. We had to get an Ambo again, this time I got a free ride.

Moral: Know your limitations and find richer parents.:)

drlapo

Hooligan
leaving my RD400 in 4th gear at 70mph because my pasenger liked how it "feels"!
by the time we got to my place she was "done"; nothing left for me

ivar

TT Racer
2 years ago I took the SV out of storage for a short blast. Without plates and without insurance, I came out of a gravel road with tires all covered in mud, slamming the throttle WFO when turning out on the asphalt.
Got a nice wide (and totally unexpected) power slide - but luckily no hi-side when the rear tire regained traction.

FrankieD

Scooter
A couple of years ago I decided I would ride my 05 YZF-R6 to my families lake house 220 miles away.

1st Stupid thing - Riding a terribly uncomfortable sport bike for any length of time. My head was stuck looking up for hours after arrival. What a crap riding position.

2nd Stupid thing - I road with a total disregard for safety for 200+ miles. Multiple 140+mph runs once up north. Passing people like they were standing still.

Once I got to my destination, I must of passed neighbors that were also driving up that day cause I caught wind of an a55hole motorcyclist in the area.

I wonder who that was?

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Just yesterday on my way to work, middle lane at a light turns green and I clutched the front end way up into the air for a bit then put it down, people pulled up on the left giving me the thumbs up, guy pulls up on the right and rolls down his window. . .HPD. Told me to cut it out. but said cool bike.

On a MX track chasing another rider I had the bike slide out from under me. No problem, picked up the bike and took off after the other rider. Came to a tight right hand corner, reached for the brakes to slow down to make the corner. No brake lever, it had broken off during the previous drop. :eeek:

Moral, always check the bike for damage after a get off

Insterereo

Two Stroke
rear-ended a cop at a light. thankg god i was only going about 1mph. cop got out, i was mortified as my permit had just expired. cop looks at me and says "are you ok? try to be careful on that thing...have a nice day" got in his car and drove off. the next day i was at the DMV and got my license

Threewheelbonni

Two Stroke
This could take a while!

Dropped a CB100N and bent the gear lever. Thought it'd be OK to ride it to the dealers and avoid the usual Honda spares questions about if it was a late 1979 CB100N-1A/14/V or a mid 1979 CB100N-1A/14/N-1. I got the gearlever caught in my trousers and did a zero mph face plant on the dealers parking area. Minus 50 points bikers street cred.

A young lady of my aquaintance like drlapo's friend liked my MZ in the same way she liked sitting on the washing machine. Thought she'd share the fun using an alternative to the pillion grab rail. Plus 50 biker streed cred points. Silly tart reached round and hit the horn button when we saw her (shot gun owning) father walking down the street though. 10 bonus points for not crashing and another 5 for almost making sense when he gave me the standard "and where have you been" grilling a few hour later.

Rode said MZ 220 miles in a snowstorm with only a stop for fuel wearing nothing more advanced than a waxed shooting jacket and washing up gloves. I was so cold I had to get my dad to hold the bike upright so I could get off. Having been frozen and eaten nothing all day I went straight to a party a mate was having, did the hardened biker/scared of nothing routine, downed a double vodka and passed out. Minus 10 points.

Tried to wheelie a fully loaded and pillioned BMW R1100R to impress some kids in a car. Did about 20 metres with the front wheel a good deal higher than I'd have liked, shut the throttle, it kept going due to all the weight and was starting to get a lock to lock wobble going. With a corner fast approaching I dabbed the back brake and saved it (+2). According to my mate on the back the kids were too busy pointing at a statue whose head some drunk had put a road cone on. Minus 10.

Decided to fly the chair while passing some sports bikes in the Italian Alps. Lost a fair bit of expensive cylinder head paint on the armco (-15) but made some really nice meter long sparks that got me a thumbs up and a bit smile from a gorgeous girl on a Ducati (+5).

Some Dutch guys gave me a spliff or ten to take home and instead of smoking it or getting rid I thought I'd stash it in my stove fuel bottle. As I should have expected the French border police wanted to rummage the whole outfit. While one pointed his submachinegun at me the other passed me said fuel bottle to hold while we had a nice long chat about where I'd been, what I'd been doing, bikes, the weather, football, rugby etc. He never looked inside the bottle and kept telling his dog to shut up (+1). The drycleaning bill could have been extensive though (-10).

I'm glad I turned 25 having got all that out of my system!

Andy

Threewheelbonni

Two Stroke
french police scare the crap outta me

Ah, there is police and police. The scruffy looking ones in white cars are the police. They are local guys and tend to be OK so long as you don't do anything too silly or claim to be leaving town. The proper Gendarmes wear blue and the DeGaulle-pillbox hats. They work for the central government and used to view their role in life as smoking while looking cool and watching the local boys. They've been given a kicking in the last few years and made to do some work, so they do now act like police. Either way, if you met them in a professional capacity you'd come away many francs/Euros lighter. Now the chaps in your photo are the CRS. They are a sort of riot squad but you get all sorts of variations for different special roles, usually with paratroop boots, SAS style uniforms and automatic weapons. They are recruited from lads who were too nutty to get into the foreign legion. You are right to be scared.

I first met the CRS or some such variation on the Italian border. They had a 50 cal (Browning?) machine gun set up in the middle of the road and were pointing at people to see if they were terrorists (or were bringing in Italian wine no doubt)! Now it's probably an English thing, but when lost asking a copper usually isn't such a daft idea. I asked one of the police/squadies if the next exit was the one I needed. Poor kid looked like he'd have a heart attack, did a huge double take to make sure the Sergeant wasn't looking, then whispered it was the one after. Can't decide if that's +5 for getting the info, or -10 for talking to people with lots of guns and other things on their mind.

Now if you want really good police Ireland's the place. The Garda seem a bit of a law unto themselves (they'll stop you if they like the look of the bike and fancy a chat), but are always brilliant for local information and seem willing to give out warnings rather than fines. A copper that says you have a great bike but need to take it a bit steady because his mate's in the next town with a speed gun get's my cooperation, no need for the heavy kit.

The cred points thing needs to be unbiased. If I went through life worry about stuid things I'd be in a padded cell by now. IMHO there are times when if you didn't laugh you'd cry.

Andy

Last edited:

hankmarx

750cc
I dropped my bike in a offcamber gravel parking lot in front of a bunch of Triumph RAT on a group ride. Broke my shift peg off, very embarrassing.

I had a full scale panic attack 1500 miles from home when I came out of a diner after lunch and my bike would not start. Checked fuel, battery, 20 minutes of freaking out when I noticed someone had touched the red kill switch. I never mess with that, I use the key. I can laugh now but that was complete dumbassery.

Dave

Street Tracker
I had a full scale panic attack 1500 miles from home when I came out of a diner after lunch and my bike would not start. Checked fuel, battery, 20 minutes of freaking out when I noticed someone had touched the red kill switch. I never mess with that, I use the key. I can laugh now but that was complete dumbassery.

On my old CB650, the starter would engage but the ignition wouldn't spark when the kill switch was engaged. Don't know if they all do that or just mine? Anyway, I spent a good 15 minutes trying to figure out what the problem was before I saw it.

koifarm

Hooligan
Hmmm, I seem to remember one of our inmates here that had a kill switch crisis...now who was that?.....

Bonneville09er

Street Tracker
fairly new rider so not much to tell. pulled up to a bar and my shift lever unscrewed itself and fell out right in the gutter. good luck i was not riding and even better that it was visible. saw a dude being thrown out head first out of the bar and figured there were a couple signs saying, dont go in there.

Buckeye71

moped
By far the dumbest thing I have ever done was take a nieghbors KZ1000 drag bike out for a spin when I was 16 years old, back in the summer of 87'. It wasn't one of those crazy nitro bikes, but it wasn't street legal either.

Apparently 130 in a 55 mph zone was a serious offence. :pd2:

Long story short, I lost my license for an entire year and had to do a couple hundred hours of community service in order to appease the local juvenile court judge.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I might have to take my stupid thing back, a regular of mine let me borrow her monster and first thing i do is almost loop it in the parking lot in front of all the cops that come into my store, they just laughed. They all know what I ride and said I should practice in the parking lot to get photos on one wheel going past them giving them the bird. Hmm almost dumping a friends ducati just seems like a bad idea.