Might it be time to sell?

sgt brad

Scooter
was in your same spot a year ago. i love my thrux and wouldn't sell it for the world, but 2 up riding even with the stupid expensive corbin seat was a no-go. i took the wife to the local dealer to look at sprint st's and tigers. what did she like? a yamaha vstar 1300 vtwin cruiser. not my cup of tea, but it's what she liked so we bought it. now with pipes, power commander and airkit it makes 80 hp, is fi and very comfy for 2 up riding even with both of our BIG butts on it. since 08's are still available for 6-7k new on the showroom floor i figure it's a good compromise. you'll spend 4k on stroking and beefing up the bonnie unless you do the work yourself. fwiw i just finished a 3600 mile trip on the yami and she did fine. good luck in your search.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I pretty much wring my bike's neck every time I get on it. - Sweat

Me too man. Seriously I like to use the whole clock, no sense wasting the right side. Then I feel gulty about it.

But yeah, if I need more power, I just wring it'sneck.

The other thing I always preach, is 'e'. e is worth 10 horses anyday. Its an old fighter pilot term. If you have "e" you are fast and good.

A pilot in combat attempts to conserve his aircraft’s energy through carefully timed and executed manoeuvres. By using such manoeuvres, a pilot will often make trade offs between the fighter’s potential energy (altitude), and kinetic energy (airspeed), to maintain the energy-to-weight ratio of the aircraft, or the “specific energy”.[6] A manoeuvre such as the “low yo-yo” trades altitude for airspeed to gain closure on an enemy, and to decrease turn radius. The opposite manoeuvre, a “high yo-yo” trades speed for height, literally storing energy in “the altitude bank”,[8] which allows a fast moving attacker to slow his closing speed.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
why is that odd?a set of jugs cost big bucks ,you think they should just trust everyone will send there old ones later lol.

You can't just buy 'em, you gotta send your old ones in first. I've got no prob with a core charge, but I guess it would be a sticking point for me to have it be a requirement..

that said, I do have a perfectly good set of 865's sitting on my back porch.

:)

mikenva

Rocker
lol I dont think many would pay like a $1500. core charge ether knowing that if there jugs had a fin broken or something when it got there they would be out that money.Yea I keep a spare set to.That way you dont have to pull the bike down till you get the parts.They are pretty quick getting them out as soon as they get yours though.Carlos goes out of his way to help us out.

biker7

Banned
You can't just buy 'em, you gotta send your old ones in first. I've got no prob with a core charge, but I guess it would be a sticking point for me to have it be a requirement..

that said, I do have a perfectly good set of 865's sitting on my back porch.

:)
I agree. Another option and what some tuners do is they charge the core up front.
That way before you turn a bolt on your bonnie to pull the head...cams etc, you receive all the parts you need for the rebuild. Then...when you send your core back to the tuner, the tuner remits you the core charge. There is nothing special about anybody's core parts and new parts don't have to be created off of a particular set of core parts. How I described is popular because it allows 0 downtime...pull the motor apart and put it right back together. Receive your core deposit back when you ship the parts off to the tuner. I don't like the idea of taking the motor apart and not having parts immediately available to put back in.
George

Last edited:

mikenva

Rocker
No one does that with these bikes there is not enough big bore kits sold to make that worth while.These are custom made kits .If you think it takes to long to send your parts in .See how long it would take to get a set of jugs bored and plated or bored and sleeved you will be waiting a month or more.If your in a hurry next day air yours in and your new ones will be headed to you pretty quick.
these arent rebuilt car motors or rebuilt car parts where they sell thousands of them a year.You dont need to worry about it anyway you dont do anything to your bike any way .You need to stop bad mouthing venders and ride your bike.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
You need to stop bad mouthing venders and ride your bike.

Unless you're talking to someone else here..

my comment was in no way intended as a bad mouth. I doubt I would ever go to a big-bore setup either way, but I was not dogging on the vendor. I'd strongly prefer to have all the parts in-hand before turning a wrench is all I'm saying.

biker7

Banned
No one does that with these bikes there is not enough big bore kits sold to make that worth while.These are custom made kits .If you think it takes to long to send your parts in .See how long it would take to get a set of jugs bored and plated or bored and sleeved you will be waiting a month or more.If your in a hurry next day air yours in and your new ones will be headed to you pretty quick.
these arent rebuilt car motors or rebuilt car parts where they sell thousands of them a year.You dont need to worry about it anyway you dont do anything to your bike any way .You need to stop bad mouthing venders and ride your bike.
You gotta lighten up or you are going to have a heart attack...lol. I find your indignation about my posts here quite funny. You are my entertainment in other words. Thanks. I didn't mention any names. I would debate the economics with you but don't think you are up to it. As to a tuner having enough cores...maybe and maybe not.
As to modding my motor...my bike is already modded a bit...you will be the last to know. If I do decide to purchase from your favorite tuner, both you and he will be the last to know. I put a big bore kit and cams in my last bike. If I do go that route for the bonny, I would have a friend order it in my behalf if I feel the urge and I won't be spouting about how great it is all over the web like you do. I do ride my bike quite a bit and enjoy every minute. The power is adequate and I knew that going in. I suggest you do the same and try not to be so critical. :p
George

pepper

Street Tracker
"If I do decide to purchase from your favorite tuner, both you and he will be the last to know."

"If I do go that route for the bonny, I would have a friend order it in my behalf..."

As a long term shop owner I can tell ya only sophomoric fuckin' magazine mechanics play kiddie games like that kind of shit. Tell us you're just joking around George and that you're really not a squid, please.