Might it be time to sell?

Craigore

TT Racer
I've had a lot of fun and dumped a ton of money into my '05 Bonneville- but it seems that the 790cc isn't cutting it anymore. I've even added open exhaust, removed airbox, rejetted accordingly. Combined weight of the girlfriend and I MIGHT be 270 pounds.. 2-up riding on this bike kind of sucks, I have to admit. I love my riding position having installed clip-ons and rearsets and it is fun around the city BUT NEEDS MORE POWER. I'm really not interested in any more performance upgrades beyond what I've already done.

So, what are your suggestions? I really like the looks and power of the Ducati Monster and the Harley XR1200 appeals to me also. I love the look and feeling of the Bonneville/Thrux but I've compromised style over power for too long. Not really into the whole sportbike thing, or I'd get an S3. I have no brand loyalty as I own an old '51 Harley (not practical for daily use) and a little CB360 also. Have heard that to service the Ducati is expensive... on the other hand, there are Harley dealers everywhere...

I'm torn.

Craigore

TT Racer
I really love Triumph as a company and in my eyes they can do no wrong.. I'd love to stick with them- tons of upgrades, low maintenance, local dealership- but I don't know if I'm ready for something that fucking crazy... I'd hate to kill myself doing 140mph BECAUSE I CAN. I don't really want to be assimilated with the "crotch rocket" idiots either (a lot of these kids around here really are idiots)

sounds like you need another bike, but I don't think the Duc or XR1200 are the answer.

What do you suggest?

Last edited:
IMO, I reckon the new Monsters look shite - fat pipes and the elliptical headlight just don't do it for me. A secondhand aircooled S2R 1000 would be my model of choice. What about the Sport Classic GT1000? Dukes nowadays are pretty reliable and like to be used and the only extra "big" expense over other brands is changing the timing belts. It helps to be handy with the spanners or know someone who is as you need a second mortgage to have it serviced at a franchised dealer.

Again, IMO, if I was to go the H-D route, it'd be a used Street Rod. I test rode one a few years ago when I had a Duc 916 and the power delivery was very similar. If I hadn't bailed from the UK, I'd probably have stumped up the cash for one of them - nice bike.

Let us know what you go for!

Cheers,

Pikey.

I really love Triumph as a company and in my eyes they can do no wrong.. I'd love to stick with them- tons of upgrades, low maintenance, local dealership- but I don't know if I'm ready for something that fucking crazy... I'd hate to kill myself doing 140mph BECAUSE I CAN. I don't really want to be assimilated with the "crotch rocket" idiots either (a lot of these kids around here really are idiots)

What do you suggest?

well you said you want more power and better 2 up ability? IMO it's going to be tough to find a good looking classicly-styled bike to fit that bill. Thinking out louud, maybe a Vstrom, the new Bandit 1250r, a Tiger, FJR1300, etc...none have the Bonnie-ness about them though. HDs just don't handle worth a damn and scrape parts too easily.

Craigore

TT Racer
Sometimes I opt out of even riding when the lady asks. I'm not looking for better 2-up accommodation but instead power. The Bonnie is weak when it comes to stop and go riding around the city when carrying a passenger.. no fatties allowed on my Bonnie either so I can't blame it on that.

the XR1200 to me looks killer, seems to be powerful enough (90+ hp) and the price is decent

I don't get the issue of lack of power for 2up riding. I'm a big dude, I weigh almost as much as you and your lady combined. My GF is petite though, but I've never felt a lack of power 2up as my bike (even pre motor work) will easily out accelerate what my pillion rider will tolerate before I get a jab in the ribs anyway :D

ivar

TT Racer
I'd look at the naked Bandit 1250.

Too bad you don't get the big nakeds like the Suxuki GSX1400 and Yamaha XJR1300 in the US...

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Craigore,

What type of riding do you do?

Different bikes for different uses...also did you put it on a dyno?

I know you were having mixture problms. Mine runs like a scalded dog.....

Last edited:

Motley

750cc
I don't get the issue of lack of power for 2up riding. I'm a big dude, I weigh almost as much as you and your lady combined. My GF is petite though, but I've never felt a lack of power 2up as my bike (even pre motor work) will easily out accelerate what my pillion rider will tolerate before I get a jab in the ribs anyway :D

+1 What Sweat says..........exactly!

Oxblood

750cc

The only time 2 up riding gave me trouble was at high altitudes in the mountains of CO. The bike was a dog trying to pull the grade other than that 2 up was fine. I don't like 2 up riding so the wife rides her own these days. Problem solved.

strokerlmt

A friend of mine has a DUC. He is selling. Some parts hard to find and expensive....hard for him to work on. I don't even mention the H ....y word. I rode a VSTROM with a friends wife on back....while he rode mine.....and it handled very well with lots of power.
Just my 2 cents

strokerlmt

Craigorrrrr.....I'm with Bottle.....you will loose on the sale of the Tri....you will fork out for a new ride. Why not stroke.....beef up the suspension and put a Corbin on. You can 2 up or adjust for one and have a great ride. I don't get the lack of power thing. I was out yesterday with a Vstrom and a Honda and we did the bac rds except for a short run on hyw101. My pick up passing etc was up there with everyone....
Are you just bored....need a new fix :d:chin:

mikenva

Rocker
yea if you like your bike build the motor will be cheaper then getting another.A good 904 would scare someone use to a stock bike.The xr hd is not as bad ass as it sounds thats not 90hp at the rear wheel that at the crank thats only 70 something at the wheel.Our bikes stock are down on power but you can wake them up easy.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
The Bonnie is weak when it comes to stop and go riding around the city when carrying a passenger..

It might be like others have suggested, that you're out of tune. If you don't have enough squirt in that bike to take it right out from under your pillion if she's not hanging on from a dead stop, you've got tuning issues.

It's also possible that the effect you're looking for could be easily obtained by dropping a tooth on the front sprocket (cost: $20). That will effectively shift the fat part of the torque band down into those lower revs/gears where you'd be in stop-n-go. You lose some on the top end but you said you're not looking for raw speed.

Or you could just limber up your wrist and hit the throttle harder. :ride:

koifarm

Hooligan
Hey BJ, what do you think about sprockets with the sidecar? I don't have any issues with it as far as power but what benefit would there be to going up or down on the teeth?
It goes just fine, accelerates well, seems to have plenty of power even with my wife in the car (145#+125#car weight) Really it's just like having someone on pillion but different forces when accel/decel.....
Tell me what's on your mind (aside from the wonderful Bonnielass)......