Luggage and Panniers?

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
I also got a low pipe set so I could add some bags.

P9021169.jpg

P9021172.jpg

And loaded for a rally this weekend!

P9041174.jpg

P9041175.jpg

P9041176.jpg

Jim :cool:

low weight/cost options

The Scrambler is rated to carry 440 lbs total (passengers,fuel,gear,etc...) so the lighter the add on luggage systems the better. Most people aren't in the position to drop a few grand on luggage right now - I sure as hell am not, so I figured I'd share what I've learned the hard way.

Last November (when I got canned) I had to solve the problem of carrying everything I needed for two week trips, camping all the way, with all the tools and spares a bike would need in remote locations. I didn't want to spend anything, or as little as possible. After some serious thought I came up with this:

IMG_0120.jpg

I had a laptop bag that I used on the passenger seat, a expandable tank bag (Nelson Rigg CL650 $62 delivered) that I had bought on "newenough.com" that really worked as a windshield, and a Hepco & Becker tail rack. I tied the tent, ThermaRest and sleeping bag to the rack with a nylon strap that I found attached to a hand cart.

By the second trip I had learned a few things about packing for long trips. I would use the lap top bag behind me for the tools, spare parts, etc (metal/heavy dangerous stuff) and the tank bag for the clothing/light stuff. I did this in case the bike went down - I didn't want to be hugging my tool kit and spare parts as I kissed the ground at 70 mph. I also stashed my rain gear between the rear bag and the sleeping bag. The bungee cords holding the bag on were enough to keep the gear lodged between the bag and the tail rack stuff (see pic below). This made the bags less packed (or I could carry more) and I had quick access to the rain gear. Plus, it pushed the bag just far enough forward so that it acted as a back rest.

IMG_0666.jpg

As far as rain, the compression sack seemed to keep the sleeping bag dry. The tent never got wet from the rain on the road (it got wet once or twice when I put it in the bag while the tent was still covered in frost). And the tank bag came with a rain shield that worked pretty well. I did pretty well with this set up.

Last edited:
Hey there Skidplate...

Of the many tools and parts you could take, which did you find to be the most helpful/useful? I'm taking a solo trip soon and am trying to decide what to take along.

Thanks!

EncoreJoe

Scooter
I've got a set of RKA expandable saddlebags left over from use on my Honda Nighthawk that I'd like to press back into use on the Scrambler.

By expanding the left side and leaving the right side "thin" I think the look would be even.

Has anyone just used the Triumph number plates as a support point to keep soft luggage off the exhaust and bodywork?

How did that work out?

Joe

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
I've got a set of RKA expandable saddlebags left over from use on my Honda Nighthawk that I'd like to press back into use on the Scrambler.

By expanding the left side and leaving the right side "thin" I think the look would be even.

Has anyone just used the Triumph number plates as a support point to keep soft luggage off the exhaust and bodywork?

How did that work out?

Joe

Works fine:
P7201072.jpg

P7201071.jpg

Jim :cool:

Hey there Skidplate...

Of the many tools and parts you could take, which did you find to be the most helpful/useful? I'm taking a solo trip soon and am trying to decide what to take along.

Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed response. I would say the most helpful/useful would be a can of chain lube. Next would be your tool kit (mine pictured below). I have modified my kit over time and I use everything in it now. Just your basic CruzTools RTM3 slightly modified to suit my bike/me. I roll a 19mm wrench in the middle for the axles. I stuck a standard 3/8 socket wrench, a 6" extender bar (for replaceing spark plugs) and an 18mm Craftsman spark plug socket and a 14mm standard socket. The standard kit comes with a nice little socket wrench, 8,10,13mm sockets and 2" extender bar. I replaced the CruzTools wrenches with a 13mm Craftsman as well as an 8mm Craftsman (just more comfortable in the hand while working), 5mm, 6mm, & 8mm allen keys - swing end, extra long Craftsman, again just preference. The strange looking "ice pick" in the pocket with the allen keys (to the right of the screwdriver) is just a wrench to adjust my rear shocks. The rest is the standard kit (wire, zip ties,ectrical tape, spark plug gapper, adjustable wrench, vice grips, flash light, locktight and wd40.

IMG_1414.jpg

On the first trip I changed my oil, brake pads and spark plugs on the road. The second trip, I left my skidplate home and I ripped a hole in my oil filter.

So, as far as parts or spares oil filter is one I found to be most important. I carry tubes, tar irons, a hand pump (from my bicycle) a couple of spark plugs, an oil filter (I REPEAT, AN OIL FILTER) and a set of brake pads for each wheel. There is a ton of other stuff that is probably really important, but this is what I've learned to carry - so far.

BornAgain

Scooter
You forgot the Duct Tape or as my old buddy Red Green says "if you can't fix it with duct tape it ain't broke":lol: Nice kit you put together. I've been thinking about what I need for road trips and it looks like you've got everything covered.

Old_Eric

Scooter
Now the attachment racks are ready apart one more paint layer. As you can see from this photo, the beginning of a new riding season still waits to come.

Attachments

• Boxit ja teline.jpg
    Boxit ja teline.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

sadsack

moped
old_eric.... very nice set up... i'm watching your progress with interest. I'm getting a new scrambler next week and i'm studying all options on raks and cases!!!

Old_Eric

Scooter
My project is progressing...

Attachments

• Laukut pyörässä 1.jpg
    Laukut pyörässä 1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Laukut pyörässä 2 (2).jpg
    Laukut pyörässä 2 (2).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 0

R17GSR

Scooter
Blimey Eric, when I first saw the size of those boxes I thought the Scrambler was going to be mounted on the inside !!
Nice work though.
Ride safe.
Gary

TopCat

Scooter
Outstanding work Eric! Those look better than the Touratech boxes.

Your project has got me thinking about getting racks fabricated for an old pair of Hepco and Becker panniers collecting dust in my closet.
What mounting points did you use for your racks? It looks like the lower shock bolts and the pre-tapped holes under the seat.

Kurt

XXXXX Don't use the lower shock mounts! XXXXX

I used upper shock mounts, pillion foot rest attachment and the pre-tapped holes under the seat.

PA110015.jpg

P4170003.jpg

Last edited: