Luggage and Panniers?

scolepdx

Scooter
First off I already have a Ventura rack but I'm still obsessed with having panniers on my Scrambler, probably the same thing that makes me ogle at REI gear, lol.

Anyone found any two sided luggage racks or pannier options besides Metalmule? I think it's great that they have made a set but they cost like $2K and that's a crap load.

There was guy on TRN who had a frame specially made to fit over the mufflers. I forget his name. He reckoned that he had no handling issues with it. But it looked very wide & cumbersome, & I'm sure that he wouldn't have been going too fast with it. Why not just get a topbox for your rack?

DavidC

Rocker
Wow! Those Metalmules are some industrial-looking boxes. Two thousand bucks to carry some books and underwear? Check out BlueJ's multi-photo tutorial on bags at this site. Even though it is for Bonnevilles, you may get some ideas for your Scrambler.

NEPatriots9

Scooter
those metalmules look like .50cal ammo cans, just fitted for a bike. I strap a big backpack on the rear of my seat and just stack stuff on top of that, then throw a net over the top of it to hold it all in.

Ducati makes some great bags in support of their bikes, makes me a little jealous. You guys should see the rig for the Hypermotard, tank saddlebags, look weird but work real well. They even have one sided saddle bags for those high-piped monsters. Guess the Italians have always been good at making fancy bags.

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
Anyone found any two sided luggage racks or pannier options besides Metalmule? I think it's great that they have made a set but they cost like $2K and that's a crap load.

Wouldn't that be nice? The Metalmule frames look real stout, but the panniers they make probably weigh a ton and the frames need to be that stout. I'd love some pannier loops for bags. One of the Aussie's (Davo) from the ADV site fabricated frames based on some loops from motosport I think. Also, I remember reading that someone was using the number plate kit from Triumph to toss some saddle bags over the Scrambler with success.
I really don't think the high pipes are as much of a heat problem as a space issue.

scolepdx

Scooter
I did some more poking around and have a few leads. I did a google search and came across this at Norman Hyde:

HBK475 SCRAMBLER PANNIER FRAME KIT L/H £69.00

It was on a web pricelist. I'm assuming it's a left hand side pannier bracket. I emailed them and I'm waiting for a reply. I guess a single pannier on the left would be alright.

I also emailed Happy Trail about a luggage system and he said he wants 10 preorders before they make anything. I just emailed him back to get details about what they could make. I asked stuff like price, tail rack option, which panniers would fit it, etc. I'll let people know. Seems like there are at least 10 people out there interested enough to buy them if they're not as expensive as the metalmule ones. Kind of funny that they don't have anything posted about Scramblers, not sure how they expect to get 10 preorders without advertising, lol.

scolepdx

Scooter
Update!

I heard back from Norman Hyde, they said their rack is not quite ready.

But more exiciting new from Happy Trails. Here is what they wrote to me after I asked what the system they could build would be like.

---------------------
You can rest assured it would fall in line with our normal SU pricing which
varies from $239 to $269. We are not sure what Panniers would be the best
until we get the SU Racks done but the bike will definitely be asymmetrical
in design I would think. In this situation we typically run two different
width panniers and this adds to the cost also.
So a pannier basic kit might run from $709 to $765. If we have 10 orders up
front before we start we will definitely lock in a SPECIAL price.
----------------------

If anyone is interested let me know and if we get 10 people they will build them. If you want to see more Happy Trails stuff here is a link http://www.happy-trail.com/

Got to be 10 people out there who would like to get a pannier luggage rack system :)

Last edited:

1759AG

Scooter
20MM cans

NEPat; I have a buddy who uses two 20MM cans (we are in the military still) on the side of his bike; he loves them for the price (free). I suggested if he wanted to get a little extensive, we could weld some aerodynamic fairings on the front side of them. With lids on, they are hermetically sealed (water tight).

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
The Caribou Cases look great. IMO soft bags would still look better on a Scrambler .......but the Pelican cases look tough. I bet one could set up Pelican panniers with a laptop case on the right (pipes) side and one like the Caribou Cases on the left to help prevent the panniers from being so offset because of the pipes. Like a 1470 and a 1500. I've got a good friend that's a fireman and he swears by Pelican cases. He's taken them to Iraq and back, uses them at work, etc. They are indestructible.

http://www.pelican.com/case_category.php?pageNum_RecordsetCase=3&totalRows_RecordsetCase=58&CaseSize=%&New=%

KingBear

Hooligan
So you get the solo seat and strap one of these to the rack. Problem solved. And look, they come in a variety of sizes and colors. :)

milk%20crate.gif

scolepdx

Scooter
Nope I gave up on Happy Trails, they wanted 10 pre-orders before they would design it and I asked around and couldn't scrounge up more than just a few people interested. I ended up buying the Andy Strapz panniers, just need to make a frame now for them :)

I have a set of Metal Mule racks and will use the HT 6" and 7.5" panniers. From what I can measure the 6" and 9" panniers will give a dead even look to the bike but I will use the 7.5" box on the let so the bike is not so wide in the tail.

Old_Eric

Scooter
Self-made panniers for Scrambler

I've been making panniers from aluminium for my Scrambler. They are not yet ready, the covers and attachement racks are still lacking. But making them my self is interesting and I save a lot of money.

Attachments

• Puolitekoiset laukut.jpg
    Puolitekoiset laukut.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0