Luggage and Panniers?

TopCat

Scooter
Brilliant! Many thanks for the pic otherwise. This is quite similar to what I had in mind. Especially w.r.t. connecting the racks on both sides with a single plate extending over the subframe.

Did you use the pillion foot rest attachment for peace of mind, or do you think it necessary from a strength/rigidity standpoint?

Over the last 40 years I've seen many sets of panniers sag, twist etc. If you leave an opportunity they will take it, they are clever little things :) I had mine fully loaded this weekend and rode at almost full speed on some rough roads and they passed the test. Better over built than cracking up, sagging, falling off etc. when away from home.

Edit.... I also used cut strips of old car tyre tubing as a shock absorber at each point the glass bags contact the steel frames.

Last edited:

TopCat

Scooter
I see what you mean. Although 2 points is prolly OK, 3 points would allow the panniers to be really loaded up.

Thanks again for the input. I'll post up pics when finished.

Personally I suggest two points will do if the bags are to carry your lunch to work. A third mounting point will stiffen a set of frames by more than a factor of three, if you understand my non technical description.
Good luck, looking forward to the photos.

Old_Eric

Scooter
Blimey Eric, when I first saw the size of those boxes I thought the Scrambler was going to be mounted on the inside !!
Nice work though.
Ride safe.
Gary

Indeed the left side box has been too broad. I´ve already taken off 5 cm with and angle grinder. Now the outer borders of both boxes are at the same distance from the bike's midline, 50 cm both.

Old_Eric

Scooter
Here are some photos from my self made boxes after abridging the left box.

Attachments

• Boksit pärrässä 1.jpg
    Boksit pärrässä 1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • Boksit pärrässä 2.jpg
    Boksit pärrässä 2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 0
  • Boksit pärrässä 3.jpg
    Boksit pärrässä 3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Boksit pärrässä 4.jpg
    Boksit pärrässä 4.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
Scrambler Luggage Racks/Panniers

I've had it with this not being able to have affordable luggage racks/panniers on my Scrambler. I can NOT believe that at this point, my only option is Metal Mule. Dropping $2,000USD on two boxes and a rack is absolutely ludicrous .

In November I'm heading out on a six-month trip through Central and South America, and yes... I am starting to panic. I have no welding experience so this is problematic.

Has anyone fabricated a custom rack and panniers cheaply?

I've had it with this not being able to have affordable luggage racks/panniers on my Scrambler. I can NOT believe that at this point, my only option is Metal Mule. Dropping $2,000USD on two boxes and a rack is absolutely ludicrous .

In November I'm heading out on a six-month trip through Central and South America, and yes... I am starting to panic. I have no welding experience so this is problematic.

Has anyone fabricated a custom rack and panniers cheaply?

A suggestion to save money, given you say that you have no welding experience. Go back to post No. 40 and print a copy of mine and any others that you can find. Go to a SMALL fabrication shop with your bike and photos, take the seat off and and ask what they can do for you and how much? The small shops in Australia are usually friendly family shops and specialize in one off type work, probably the same for you
I can if required PM additional photos. Also I suggest you get it OVER BUILT, you don't want it to crack while away.

Thank you so much, that's a great suggestion that I will absolutely check out. Hopefully the small fabrication shops of Las Vegas are as friendly as the ones in Australia. : )

regnock

moped
Some homemade panniers

My father and I just finished fabricated these panniers for my Scrambler. I used Motor-Sport Panniers Mounting Loops and Universal Mounting Set along with two Pelican 1550 cases.
Total Cost was $361.24
Mounting Loops and Universal Mounting Set - $123.99
Two used Pelican 1550 case off eBay - $157.25
Steel - $20
Powder Coating - $60
DSC_0091-clean.jpg

More and higher resolution pictures can be found here

EncoreJoe

Scooter
Pelican case with Ventura rack

I just installed an olive drab Pelican case (size 1500) to use with my Ventura rack.

The bracketry was abour $10.00. I used two - 3/4" vinyl coated pipe hanging clamps and 5/16" SS bolts, washers and nuts to hang the case at the two top corners from the ventura rack.

Then I ran a 1-1/2" x 1/8" thick aluminum strap diagonally up from the passenger footpeg to the rearmost pipe hanging clamp on the ventura rack.

The Pelican case is bolted to that strap too just behind the shock absorber for a three point mount.

I could also run a strap down from the bolt holes under the seat, but I don't think it is necessary because of the stiffness of the Pelican case itself.

It's nice for carrying my lunch and stuff to work and for travelling I'll use it to carry my cooking gear with tent and sleeping gear on the ventura rack and clothes and stuff in the Ventura bag on the passenger seat.

Ready to travel to Key West for a winter trial and Alaska next summer! (Should I tell my wife? Maybe she won't notice I'm gone :lame:)

If anyone wants pictures I'll try to get them posted.

Joe

grindal

Scooter
i use the "hepco & becker" cases Junior 40, goes well with my bike !
think i posted already some pictures on this forum

Kappy

Two Stroke
I decided now to buy the Hepco & Becker pannier. The mounting bracket was a bit of a hustle to install but eventually worked out well. I like them a lot as I do only short trips ( 1 to 2 nights).

Attachments

• HP.jpg
    HP.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0

TopCat

Scooter
I decided now to buy the Hepco & Becker pannier. The mounting bracket was a bit of a hustle to install but eventually worked out well. I like them a lot as I do only short trips ( 1 to 2 nights).

Thanks for posting. I have the exact same cases from a previous bike and was wondering what they'd look like on the Bonny. Not bad at all, it seems. :up: