LMT Viper Red new build

strokerlmt

It has been an interesting few months to say the least. Finances and the economy are still a struggle. I sold the 988cc stroker engine to a very nice gent on the right coast. Two reasons, needed some money and my riding has changed a lot and the screaming fast engine is no longer a priority. The gent had a blown engine and he is now doing a frame up re build. He is also a lotttttt younger than me and hopefully he will exercise the engine properly. My very good friend and riding buddy is struggling with cancer, sold his 350 Honda scrambler , beautiful re build and his Vstrom.
I did not like the desert sand bike at all. It was a poor job probably because I was not focused on the details. I have sold the alloys gone back to basics with spokes. Back to the "Viper Red" frame. So far I have chopped front and back fenders with 6 coats of medium gloss black. Billet alu triple trees, Bitwell scram bars, D9 bracket, Flaco polished forks, NH fork brace, LMT custom wiring box for headlight gaggle of wires, BMW flatter headlight bucket to accommodate the wire box, Bonne headlight/rim. More as I get the time.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1

Flaco

750cc
Shoot! We need to get together and swap stories, parts and wives…
Maybe yes, maybe no?
My son and I are looking at June for completing our two builds…
Yeah right!
Don't know how you do it, but kudos to you!
I like and always learn from you, et al…
That's why I'm here…
BTW, I'll have a suprise in the snail mail 4 U 2 soon…
Respect...
(I'm not getting any younger or any richer either.)
Flaco… aka Allin…
Carry on mate...

strokerlmt

Hey Allin…..I lost my way for a few months. Back at it and an hour a day is getting rid of the stress. Maybe I should try drugs :loll:
Got the rear fender on tonight.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1083.jpg
    IMG_1083.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 0

Roger

Street Tracker
Nice pics, nice work LMT. Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your buddy. Struggling with C and selling off his bikes... never good. Pressing my thumbs here.

strokerlmt

Thx Roger…….

Hey Matt……how is that beautiful wife of yours doing. When are you coming State Side…….?

LMT

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Thx Roger…….

Hey Matt……how is that beautiful wife of yours doing. When are you coming State Side…….?

LMT

June my friend. After 21 years I am coming back stateside and we ALL are coming back together. Mrs Tang is healthy and will be in tow for the trip. I ended up getting Jersey so I am heading back to the east coast and actually only a couple of hours from where I grew up. The wife has never been to NY or seen where I grew up so we are all excited as can be. We are in a real good place now...much better than where we were a year ago. Thank you for everything you have done for me mate.

Matt

Flaco

750cc
Great to hear this for you and your wife…
We will miss the island photo's and vid's…
Welcome home...
June my friend. After 21 years I am coming back stateside and we ALL are coming back together. Mrs Tang is healthy and will be in tow for the trip. I ended up getting Jersey so I am heading back to the east coast and actually only a couple of hours from where I grew up. The wife has never been to NY or seen where I grew up so we are all excited as can be. We are in a real good place now...much better than where we were a year ago. Thank you for everything you have done for me mate.

Matt

strokerlmt

Clipped wiring is in the front custom wiring box and headlight bucket. Lightened harness now fits cleanly in the battery box which has the ballistic battery + solenoid + relays in it and under the seat.
Front fender attaches to the Norman Hyde fork brace.
Viper red aluminum Norman Hyde triumph tank with monza gas cap. Once I polish it the knee pads and emblems go on.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_5128.jpg
    IMG_5128.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5129.jpg
    IMG_5129.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5130.jpg
    IMG_5130.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

strokerlmt

Priming, painting then sealing modified stock swing arm.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_6587.jpg
    IMG_6587.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

strokerlmt

My new engine should be here soon………
I sold the 988cc 813 cam stroker engine to a gent who will appreciate the HP.
Looked everywhere, called everyone I knew, to find a used stock engine to no avail. Bill Gately at BonnevillePerformance came through big time for me. Bill has been extremely helpful, informative and calls or emails with updates. I basically wanted a stock engine for how I ride now and he has come through with more than I expected.
2014 crankshaft
New main and rod bearings
Factory rods
New 10.2:1 compression pistons from Triumph 90mm (865cc)
New oil pumps
Reconditioned head, values, springs, keepers and locks
New head and base gaskets
Bonneville performance 360 cams
2013 transmission
Barnett clutch kit with green springs
Gloss black coated engine covers (I had my choice of covers)
BonnevillePerformance 42mm Mikuni carb kit
Crated ready for install with break in instructions
The rolling Viper Red bike frame is almost ready. Hope to be up and running in 1/2 a day once I get crate.
Go to the website and look at Bill's products. I have his 1 3/4 2 to 1 exhaust system, crankcase blow off and soon an engine.
More soon……
LMT

Last edited:

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Lach,

Sounds like Bill did a fine job putting together a "stock" motor for you. With up-spec cams and carbs installed, it'll be what god intended (and triumph falls short on) for a stock 865 motor.

Can't wait to see how this build comes together.

Cheers,

--Rich

strokerlmt

BO….really looking forward to getting the engine. It has been real easy and fun dealing with Bill.

Rich…..that is what Bill intended…..stock motor better than stock ;-))))

Cereal……I have seen one other example (after I did mine) with the same holes. I did a very scientific test after I drilled the holes. I placed the swing arm front and back ends on two 6 X 6 X 24 inch wooden blocks. then I placed a 2 X 6 X 24 inch on top of the swing arm. I had a light beer and jumped up and down on the 2 X 6 for a few minutes, rested, had a beer then jumped up and down again for awhile. no sign of any weakness. So I am going to give it a run and look for any stress ;-) Will let you know…….

All joking aside, appreciate your thoughts, the arm is as strong as shit, over built like most of the Thriumph Bonneville.

LMT

Flaco

750cc
Quit giving me more ideas and things to do! ie the swing arm lightening holes!
Brilliant!
:up:

Ya know Allin…..don't know how much wt it took off but for me it looks better than stock…..I think I recently saw Bonne build on BIX that had the same holes…..I drilled those out 3 years ago……I beat the shit out of the swing arm braced up off the floor and it didn't move……so painting it med gloss black X 10 coats + 2 part clear coat cure in the sun DONE…..
More soon…..
LMT

Last edited by a moderator:

strokerlmt

The Bill Gately Bonneville Performance engine is ready to ship this week. Will be completed as per the specs I previously posted. The Viper Red bike is very close to being able to strap on the power. Need to polish the spoked rims, one more coat of black paint on the modified stock swing arm then 2 heavy coats of clear coat, clean and lube the chain, polish the gas tank, bleed the brakes (ugh I hate doing that) and I am ready to mount the engine. This time around I should be close to 90-95% all stainless or titanium hardware.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

Udate…..FedEx should pick up my engine tomorrow. BTW for those of you on the right side of the USA the gents at Chesapeake Cycles are good guys. Especially Vernon is service. Not only did he NOT pinch my engine which he wanted to do but he put up with a bunch of calls. Should have the engine in 5 days. I have been tinkering with the rollin frame, almost ready, hope I can take a day off mid week and just finish her off. More pictures soon.
LMT
PS….hoping to go to Sacramento in July and meet up with Bill Gately when he is there with his race team.