LMT Viper Red new build

strokerlmt

The crate arrived. Took me an hour to get it apart. Engine wrapped, padded and covered. It looks great and hoping to get some time this week to bolt the engine onto my finished frame. Bill Gately also sent a detailed 7 point break in procedure sheet. Cannot wait to fire this one up.
BTW I cannot say enough about the quality and service. Bill has called several times to follow up and wants me to check in as the engine comes alive. Look at Gately's after market bits. Well made and everything comes with easy to follow instructions. If you ever blow an engine check out Bill's crate engines.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_6615.JPG
    IMG_6615.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6617.JPG
    IMG_6617.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 0

Roger

Street Tracker
This is coming together nicely. Engine is looking good. Nice support from Bill. That's awesome. Looking forward to seeing the bike when it's completed.

strokerlmt

Just mounting the Mikuni carbs last night. I have had stock and FCR39 experience. I have to say I like the Mikuni's, solid, well made, nice hardware. Will post a couple pics tonight.
LMT

strokerlmt

After chatting with Bill Gately a couple of times all is good with the Mikuni Carbs. My years of ocean sailing make me nervous about loose cables, fittings, lines etc. So I tend to over secure things. Here I have the choke cables secured to the carb bodies after making sure they have a nice easy bend or turn. I use tie wraps, even use em on the fuel lines. I am sure fellow sailor GeoPilot will confirm that side cutter clipped tie wraps can cut the shit out of you if you slide your hand past one. So I use a soldering iron and melt the cut ends flat.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_6621.JPG
    IMG_6621.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6620.JPG
    IMG_6620.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6619.JPG
    IMG_6619.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6618.JPG
    IMG_6618.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

strokerlmt

Dropped back wheel, got the engine on the lift, hope to hang late today.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_6627.JPG
    IMG_6627.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

Boy I have gotten busy and the girls just finished school. I am finding very little time to wrench in the garage. So I get to one little job a day. The good thing about it is I have extended and shortened some wiring, tucked this and that away, so its coming together better than I thought. More later….
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_6628.JPG
    IMG_6628.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

Slow but sure………
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0

monty

Street Tracker
Just caught up with this one LMT.

Loving your work here.

I am with D9. That oil cooler looks just right. Can't wait to see the finished article.

In your own words my friend, ' Press on '

Monty

strokerlmt

Hey there boys and girls…….
So I am so pleased with Bill Gately's Service. He sent me a full page of what was done to this better than stock/new engine. Plus a page of careful break in instructions. I pulled the timing cover and plugs…..sprayed some WD40 down both cylinders and tried to rotate the engine. Nothing nada nilch could not move the engine. So called Bill and he had me pull all covers check timing chain, all gears messed properly, starter motor turns etc etc. Only then did he give me the go ahead to put my breaker bar on the allen wrench and viola the motor rotated. Now with the WD40 moving around I can turn the engine and it is smooth as can be. Said goodbye and 2 minutes later the phone rings…."Lachlan remember to line up the timing and check the chain before you put the covers on. On to closing up , non sun oil and part 2 of the break in start up. Hope to have life tonight.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

"Its aliveeeeee" anyone remember that movie….??????
HOW F*&^%$%^G satisfying today was…..
Closed up the engine….added non syn oil and rotated the engine 3 times for 40 seconds with the plugs out.
As per Bill Gately checked the oil level each time…waited for awhile then added some oil.
Plugs in, gas tank on, fuel running to carbs, 2 roll overs and she fired upped and purred away……
Tomorrow I will button up the rest.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1124.jpg
    IMG_1124.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0

Roger

Street Tracker
OH YA! So glad that engine is running for you. The engine not rotating was a good scare I bet? Probably just so new and so tight, it didn't want to spin easily. Got to love that feeling, when a fresh engine fires up for the first time. I know it well :D

Bike is looking real good too.

strokerlmt

OH YA! So glad that engine is running for you. The engine not rotating was a good scare I bet? Probably just so new and so tight, it didn't want to spin easily. Got to love that feeling, when a fresh engine fires up for the first time. I know it well :D

Bike is looking real good too.

I have become very cautious these days not wanting to move to fast and mash something up. Plus Bill is very cautious. Turns out it was just a new tight engine but I am glad I dbl checked everything. Still have to run the engine with a fan on it, then dump the oil and filter and put in new syn oil.
LMT

strokerlmt

Used a big fan to cool/blow on the engine yesterday while I ran the non syn oil through the engine, 1500rpm-4000rpm steady up and down for 10 minutes 3 times. New syn oil and filter later today, possible test ride tomorrow IF I can get the f(*&^%$%^&*g brakes bleed. I hate bleeding brakes.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Bike is looking good Lach! Get ready for the speeding tickets with all that red!!! Have you tried reverse bleeding when you do your brakes? I have found that to be the quickest when I am doing brakes alone.

strokerlmt

Bike is looking good Lach! Get ready for the speeding tickets with all that red!!! Have you tried reverse bleeding when you do your brakes? I have found that to be the quickest when I am doing brakes alone.

Hey Matt…..welcome…..I need to email you and say hello to the USAAAAA
Best
LMT

strokerlmt

Well there gang talk about a great feeling. I fired up the Viper Red Ride and went up the coast for a 70 minute ride to Ragged Point and back. The lady drove like the champion these new Bonneville's are. No issues, all is perfect but taking it easy as per the break in instructions from Bill Gately. This picture is shit, I hope to get some good pictures soon and post those soon.
Mean while I am just happy to be riding up and down the coast again.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0

Roger

Street Tracker
Glad to hear the bike is running good. It looks real good, shit pic or not. I'm sure it rides very fine with all the work you did. I like it.