Like a whole new bike

D9

Vendor
...recent mods include airbox kit (thanks Carlos at TPUSA), emgo
shorty megaphones (thanks drLapo), + 30mm Hagons (thanks RPM
Motorwerks Belleville IL), Norman Hyde rearsets (thanks RPM & NewBonneville.com), and a new set of Mini M bars off a new Thruxton (thanks John Cahill).

Biggest thanks to Loxpump who helped with installation of all the above.

We went out for a couple of hours today... really is a different bike.
Need to relearn steering input - feels like I have way less leverage than
with stock bars, yet steering at any kind of speed seems quicker - & get used to the very different seating position (little tough on the neck thus far), the NH rearsets have a long-ish throw, the +30 Hagons have altered the ride & chassis dynamics, the emgo shortys are loud & nasty, and then there's
that SOUND under the seat where wth airbox used to be, happily making itself
known when the throttle's whacked open ... all in all, seems like a bit of cafe racer has crept in around the edges... now how'd that happen? :D

Meanwhile... clutch is starting to slip noticeably, first did it at the last
track day a few weeks back. Dang it.

bluebonnie17_5_09.jpg

MIniM_bars1.jpg

loxpump

Rocker
An amazing transformation. Those Emgos do bark like a mean junkyard dog! I was 100 ft. behind and could hear every time you twisted your wrist, and every time the clutch slipped! And how about 70 deg. in July! Made the air coming out of the caves seem not so cold.
D9, lets tear into that clutch next weekend!

Nick Morey

Rocker
Very nice bike, Seth. Looks fast just sitting there. I see you have a steering dampener, How do you like it? Is it adustable? I especially like the pipes and bars. :ride:

D9

Vendor
Appreciate the comments, still rubbing sore neck, but
it's a good kinda pain :D

Steve, was grinding on some small pieces of stainless late last night, just enjoying watching the sparks fly... may the torch be with you ;)

Gretch... already bobbed, hard to tell from the pics... but maybe more bob is better. Thinkin' about it.

Lox... just went over it in the manual... I dunno bro. Lotta steps to
a clutch overhaul if that's what it needs, plus some Triumph service tool,
looks like a puller, it's used in a couple of steps... maybe just new springs?

Nick... I like the NH steering dampener, got that early on, it is adjustable but
I typically use only the first one or two clicks. I imagine if you were making a speed run
at Bonneville you could crank it way up and it really would help minimize some unwanted oscillations... but for normal riding, one or two clicks at most.
Agreed, The mini-M thrux bars look good on the bike, it's gonna be awhile before I'm used to how they feel at speed... right now, good in some
ways, & really awkward at times. Jury's out... but for a track day they might
be exactly right... hope so.

MES

750cc
nice bike seth. I bet it does feel like a whole new bike.
I really like what you did with the guage bracket. I here there is a guy that make them custom. He does good work, maybe you should look into it :)
Lox... just went over it in the manual... I dunno bro. Lotta steps to
a clutch overhaul if that's what it needs, plus some Triumph service tool,
looks like a puller, it's used in a couple of steps... maybe just new springs?
You only got 18K on the clock so chances are your plates are fine. My stock plates lasted 42K

try just the springs first. No special tools required.
It is a bit of a pain to align the center push pin but quite doable.
An easy job for you 2. More of an excuse to drink beer than anything. 2 hours if you sip slow.
(FYI, you don't the special tools to do your clutch. The one that is used to keep the clutch from turning when you break the center nut is nice but optional. Just sit on the bike with it in gear and both brakes applied. The other person breaks the torque. Dependeing the the year, the alignment tool won't even work.)

a bit (1/2qt) of oil will remain in the case even if you drain it well. Be prepared to catch it as it Will pour out as soon as you break the seal on the cover.

There is a good step by step primer with photos at the other place. It was done by Propforward.

MAKE SURE the wave washer is in place. dab a bit of assy lube or red grease on it so it stays in place as your putting on the cover.

I think we are the only 2 that has a set of the new stock Thrux M-like bars. I haven't tried mine yet as they still need to be painted.

ivar

TT Racer
the emgo shortys are loud & nasty,
and then there's
that SOUND under the seat where wth airbox used to be, happily making itself
known when the throttle's whacked open

Just installed the TPUSA kit too, but swapped my Emgo's for Dominators - the Emgo's a little bit too nasty for my liking. (But some extra packing calms them down a bit)
Also noticing the sweet induction roar when whacking the throttle :)

BTW, those mini-M-bars looks to give a pretty similar riding position as my LSL sport touring bars.

D9

Vendor
Appreciate the comments...

MES - excellent... man, that's helpful... thanks!

Ivar - not familiar with the LSL's, interested to see 'em... got a link?

Bonafide - just tying to keep up with the high standards in here - it
ain't easy. ;)

Mike you got it... blue & white of the 03's was a good combo!

that looks great Seth!

+1 to MES's comments, all you should need is the green springs and a new gasket. Carlos can hook you up with those parts.

Neducati

Two Stroke
Gorgeous bike Seth. Nice choices for the mods. I'd love to see and hear it.

Coming to Carlisle for the bike fest?

Ned

Last edited:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
On those clutch springs... hurry up. If it's slipping, you'll burnish the plates pretty fast, greatly reducing their lifespan!!

ivar

TT Racer
Ivar - not familiar with the LSL's, interested to see 'em... got a link?

Bought them from Mototwin, and got a pic in the handlebar thread on the other site. Should also be in the pics I sent you a couple weeks ago.

LS1*

Scooter
looks great seth, looks like you went down the same path I did - mbars, exhaust, rearset, solo seat. What happened to the flyscreen? I always liked that bobbed flyscreen you had.

I finally bobbed my rear fender, and now it looks like a thruxton rear fender, oh well, I can always hack a little more off.

Keep up the bracketology!

jimm

moped
Great looking bike. I noticed the sharp bend in the clutch cable and wondered if your slippage may be related.
Jim M

D9

Vendor
Thanks again all...

Ned... not going anywhere, LOL.... chained to the workbench for the foreseeable future... will be lucky to make the next Track day in August at Gateway Int'l.

Clarke... just vinyl numbers I made, have to have them to get on the
track, too lazy to peel them off and make new ones, just leaving them
on for now until the 2009 MCRA season is over, then I'll take em off before winter...

LS1... been awhile, how you been? Took off the bobbed screen when I'd proven to myself once & for all that airflow was smoother and buffeting reduced
without it! But, now with the low bars & rearsets, may try it one more
time, although I've come full circle thinking the bike is much cleaner without it.