K Y B shocks

TheDon

Scooter
i have just fitted new shocks ( new to me 2nd hand) i have no idear on what the settings should be . i weigh 80 kg and ride solo there are adjustment at top & bottom, plus spring settings. please i need your help again. when jobs done will post photos THANKS THE DON.::rock:

From the limited research I have found. It appears that these need to be set on a low setting around "2" for the Thruxton. The kwaki these were made for used a setting of 4 apparently. But the kwaki is a far heavier bike. Hope this helps a little.

80kg (In yr dreams!) or you just weighing yr gut? :)

"loosened the rear spring preload to the lowest setting, set the compression damping to '2' and rebound to '4'. I also loosened my front fork preload all the way out, then turned each side back in 5 full turns."

Last edited:

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Currently I'm sitting at "2" up top, and "3" on the bottom with the springs at their lowest setting on my Thrux... but I'm closer to 100kg, and have F3 front setup.

henrys

Street Tracker
Just fitted these this weekend. They feel really stiff but I'm only 160lbs. I can definitely feel the front end having to work more. Time to upgrade that too.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Start out with the 2 and 2 then adjust from there. I'm heavier than any of these lightweights and I got it dialed in from those settings. AND... it's your bike so you can set it at whatever you want.

By the way I'm pretty sure I got mine off of two different bikes. The Adjustments are all on the same side.

Lobo

Scooter
Anyone using these on a Bonnie ? Have a friend that has offered a set for a fair price. I have a set of Ikon 7610's that are blowing oil.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Anyone using these on a Bonnie ? Have a friend that has offered a set for a fair price. I have a set of Ikon 7610's that are blowing oil.

I know I've seen them on a few Bonnies looking at Pics on T-Rat. They are longer so you have to reset your suspension.

Lobo

Scooter
Thanks RumRunner... I have followed a few post's on T-Rat. Also found I would not be able to use my MC Resources rails because of the piggyback.
I guess I should start a thread on rebuilding Ikon shocks.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Lobo,

I do recall seeing one where the shocks where actually put on backwards so the piggyback was facing forward for clearance of something.

RR

The stock shocks on the ZRX could suspend a Goldwing. The springs are really stiff. When I did my ZRX suspension up-grade I purchased some good Works Performance shocks and had them made to order. That's the ticket to get suspension components that work with you and the bike.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
At least on a Thruxton, the KYB's are night and day different to the stockers, or even to some of the others out there. I had Ikons, and Stocks, and the KYB's are like riding a different bike!