Just ordered some short TORS - advice please

Stagger Lee

Street Tracker
My modding has begun, Just ordered some short tors that should arrive before the end of the week. Just so i am prepared I have a few questions

getting the old set off, easy or hard? Do I need some gasket compound or the like when I fit them?

Jetting (that old chestnut - but I don't like going back to the other side for reference) Jenks bolts recommends a rejet but is that really necessary? other posts seem to suggest that if i leave the airbox alone I would not need to. How do any problems manifest themselves?

I plan to do the airbox and air jet elimination mods after Christmas so really don't want to piss around with the carbs twice.

Thanks in advance :)

mrt202

Street Tracker
The pipes are very easy to change. Use Permatex Ultra Copper Silicone at the connection to the header pipes when re-assembling. You will need to rejet. Look for Pats Jetting Calculator (sorry, no link) for good baseline jetting info. It's unlikely you will get the jetting perfect on the first try due to a high number of variables,but it's possible. Good luck!

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
And while you are at it get the allenhead screws for the carbs and ditch the phillips.
Pat's is/was right on for me the first time. My bike runs perfect.

T

tattooedcouple

with Triumph off roads you don't have to rejet.. i did not with mine and the plugs look great..(i don't have the shorties tho)if that matters... and i did the Air injection removal also.. if you change the airbox in any way you will have to rejet...even if you go with a k&n filter she will go to the lean side..Air injection removal kit is a must after the t.o.r. are on,if not it pops BAD!

zmilin

Street Tracker
re Jetting w/ TORS...

I added TORs and a Uni to Karens bike and it ran rich with no rejetting.
I then swapped the UNI for a K&N and removed the snorkel...this made it run a touch lean so I added a shim and adjusted turns (per Jenks)...so far so good.
I have a 128 for her bike in case I need it but I dont see a need right now.

Swappign the oem screws for the allen heads....YES...do it. While your at it add the thumb screws in place of the D screws.

Downside is that youll need the D tool to remove the old D screws...if you decide to do this let me know and Ill let you borrow my D tool as long as you send it back.

Stagger Lee

Street Tracker
LOL 4 slightly different opinions :p

I should state that I have a speedmaster 07 model

Just checked and I do have some copper silicone, good for 1000deg C, that should do the trick thx. I will try and get some bolts for it tomorrow to replace the Phillips head ones.

If I leave the air injection in without re jetting, i get popping - but does it make my exhaust headers turn blue? or do they turn blue only after the re jetting?

Once again thank you in advance :)

Stagger Lee

Street Tracker
Weeeeeeee I got a modded motorbicycle :p Sounds great, and yet I did not wake up my kids so the wife is happy too :D

BTW no Phillips head screws just an allen key and a socket was required - the pipes came of easy and went on easy, with just one concern. the left hand muffler has a little welded bracket upon it near where the clamp goes, yet the muffler I took off does not have it. The weld for this strange bracket interfered with the clamp a little, I suspect the exhaust may be for an American not a speedy I will investigate more tomorrow. Also a test run is on the cards early tomorrow morning, right now it is beer time :D

mrt202

Street Tracker
I suspect the exhaust may be for an American not a speedy I will investigate more tomorrow.
Not sure what's up there. The gutted Speedy pipes I put on my America fit just fine. From what i've seen and read, they all interchange with no issues.

Stagger Lee

Street Tracker
looks like the bracket may have something to do with a side stand (stop?) but my speedy side stand is inches away from it ... will post pics tomorrow :)

gilligan

Scooter
I have the short tapered TORs on my 2007 america. If you pull the snorkle from the airbox, I would suggest a #125 main jet and a shim under the needle with the pilot screw turned our 2 1/2 times.

Right now I am running a drilled airbox (no snorkle) with a Uni filter, 125 main jets and TBS needles. Runs much better than stock.

Gregger

moped
I'm running long TORS and all snorkels are removed on the intake. I started with 120 mains and finished with 135s. Pilots are still 42 but I put in TBS needles and added a shim. 3 turns out on the needles. I will be switching to 45 pilots this summer because the plugs are still white.

Your bike will run ok with the TORs so long as you don't pull your snorkel. Probably still be a bit lean though. If you pull the snorkel under the seat, expect the bike to bog big time in the mid range. If it does this, up your jet size. I would try the bike as is, then at least put in the 128s you have and note any diffenence. It doesn't take very long to change the jets.
link to Dinqua's site with everything you need http://www.dinqua.com/Triumph/carbs0.html

Caveman

Scooter
Obvouisly need to read the link to Dinwua's site. Thanks Gregger. Just had some longs (TORS) fitted and the workshop guys whacked in two "slowjet cal XL" made in japan genuine HD motor parts!!! Lucky the BA has not spat it. Bike is popping when I close the throttle so it sounds a tad rich.

Anyone out there had this experience or got some advice? Probably need to ditch the HD parts yesterday and learn how to tune my own bike.

Cheers
Caveman

Gregger

moped
Bike is popping when I close the throttle so it sounds a tad rich.

Anyone out there had this experience or got some advice?

Caveman

Popping on decel is usually an indication of being too lean. Try richening the idle screws. On your model you might have to remove a metal plug to gain access to the screws because they are factory set for your bike. The head of the screw is shaped like a "D". Special tool will make things easier to adjust. Here is a link to one. http://www.newspeedmaster.com/html/d_tool.html

Caveman

Scooter
Thanks G, Was planning on getting a couple of items from this mob so I now have an excuse to buy more chrome for the bike. Save postage.....................

Will let you know how I go. Will be a week or two before the gear arrives. Until then I will have to put up with the popping. The Carb 101 article in your earlier post was a good insight into carbs.

Cheers Cavie