Suspension

You all know by now that I'm a complete idiot. I know pretty much nothing about shocks and springs. I've read everywhere that it's one of the best mods you can do. I'm looking into it. Any suggestions?

MattRat

TT Racer
I got Hagons (+2cm = Thruxton length) from Bella corse before the price went up- $199 I think - now they're 20 bucks higher I think - good enough for my purposes but I'm not looking to do track days. for the front, Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse was selling progressives for like $65 a few months back...
Huge improvement over stock.

I put Hagon springs from BellaCorse in front, drop-in replacement, you can use the stock spacer.

I put Ikon 7610s from NewBonneville in back, bolt-on replacement.

They made a significant, noticeable improvement.

Hedge

American Infidel
Funk - I still have the stock suspension because my 2007 bike is still virtually new to me. I am planning on riding the stock suspension for the entire season so I can get use to it and really understand its limits. Then next year's project will be a suspension upgrade and I will more than likely do the exact same setup that MattRat did. Like he said, it is more than adequate for the kind of riding I do. :)

Stoogsy

Scooter
Try before you buy

Hey Funkyman. I joined a group ride once. We rode through some twisties and realised that my bonnie handles nothing like the Ducati I owned previously. Two other riders offered to let me try the same road on their bikes. I added Ikon suspension front and back to my order with Newbonneville that same evening.

UraniumC

Banned
Funk....

I've seen lots of reports that claim this is the best mod you can make.

Got my '06 about a year ago with 232 miles on it. The first time I got hard on the brakes the front dive scared me 1/2 to death. Shortly thereafter Progressives went on the front. Cured the brake dive and shrapened the steeering.

Now a year and 5000+ miles later I've just installed Works Black Trackers. Settled on them as they were the only shock custom built for my large size. I had very high expectaions and am not sure we're there yet. Today was the first day with them and only put on about 50 miles running around trying to get my bike to pass inspection.

Few more, less distracted miles before I post a ride report on 'em.

Thanks Uranium, I'll be interested to read your thoughts on them, as I'm kind of a big guy (read - I'm a real fat ass!) I guess I ought to get some Thruxton length shocks.

pz1p

Two Stroke
i put progressives front and back, what a difference it made. no more dives and seems to track better in the twisties, the few we have in north florida.

Jhtjon

Street Tracker
I installed ZRX shocks in the rear I paid $276.00 shipped and I installed Traxxion Springs in the front 129.00 shipped. I Have new 20W fork oil but haven't installed it. And I am a "Big Guy"

The suspention works so well I was able to pass a Ducati Sport 1000s on a turn. The duc rider took the inside line and I just rail around on the outside. With the stock suspension I would have never been able to do that before.

Shorty

Two Stroke
Progressive 412 series on the back and Progressive forksprings in the front on my "02" Bonnie. Made a big improvement in handling and a more comfortable ride 2-up.

Shorty

geolpilot

Street Tracker
I bought some new progressive fork springs from a member on the other forum and some nearly new Hagon 2810 rear shocks from another member. The hagons were built for his weight which was the same as mine. The difference in handling is amazing. I can take the same curves 10 or 15 mph faster and feel safer.

NewOldSchool

Two Stroke
My thoughts are exactly like yours Funk. I plan on going the same route as Hedge and Mattrat with the Hagon classic shocks for the price and not really planning on hitting the track anytime soon. One thing that has peaked my interest is the KYBs from a ZRX1200. Most people that have them say they are wonderful and looking at ebay, they are closely priced to Hagons. Some were saying that they were alittle stiff though. To those that have the "Progressive" progressive spring set like the ones on British Customs, do they come ready to install and is there any difference between them and other brands. They all just say progressive wound, but nothing past that. I am missing something or are they all different spring rates?

Oh, and on a side note... its nice to have a real forum back!!! Thanks!

truax

moped
Hagon Progressives up from from Bella Corse. They are drop in replacements as has been noted by others.

Ikon Performance shocks from New Bonneville.

Color me very happy. Both front back are easy to install.

Shorty

Two Stroke
The Progressive Suspension manufactured springs and shocks are in my opinion easy to install and come with instructions. The best price I found on them is through http://www.Accwhse.com.
I stayed with the standard 13.5" size 412 Series shocks on the rear (their number 412-4215) and their part number for the front fork springs is 11-1126 (these are the Mfg's part numbers...Accwhse uses their own).
Progressive suspension also has "Heavy Duty" models available at pretty much the same price structure.

Shorty

Last edited:

MattRat

TT Racer
The Progressive Suspension manufactured springs and shocks are in my opinion easy to install and come with instructions. The best price I found on them is through http://www.Accwhse.com.
I stayed with the standard 13.5" size 412 Series shocks on the rear (their number 412-4215) and their part number for the front fork springs is 11-1126 (these are the Mfg's part numbers...Accwhse uses their own).
Progressive suspension also has "Heavy Duty" models available at pretty much the same price structure.

Shorty

Yep - that's where I got the front springs $55.95 + shipping - I think total was $66

Jora

moped
A local shop that tunes almost all of the local race bike suspensions set up my '14 T100 suspension for me. YSS shocks in the rear and YSS springs/emulators for the front. The main benefit of the shocks is adjustability. The emulators are a huge improvement. The bike used to hop sideways whenever you hit a small sharp bump in a corner. Now it absorbs and stays tightly on track. US$500 shocks $250 springs/emulators $300 install

Clyde12

Scooter
I went with Hagon progressives springs up front. Being vertically challenged, I went with Hagon -20 mm rear shocks. That setup is stiffer than stock but feels much more planted and predictable.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I bought my bike from a woman who lives a good hour's ride from me. So I caught a train down to her place and rode back on the freeway with stock suspension. Not fun. The bike was wandering all over the place and didn't feel very stable at speed.

So I installed Ikon front and back. I was shocked at how tiny the stock front springs are! And the rear suspension is now fantastic. Ikon has transformed how my bike feels. Riding on the freeway is actually fun now.

rbird

moped
Greetings to all the "fat asses". It's nice to know I'm not alone being a fat boy on a Bonnie. I put Progressive progressive springs up front with Race Tech emulators and Preogressive 444's in the back. At first I guess I was expecting to feel like I was riding on air, so I was a little dissapointed. That was until I hit the freeway and realized that the bike handled a lot better. Being fat I increased the size of the spacers in the forks but I'm not sure that's working out. Any comments on that would be appreciated. Since then I've fiddled with the rear shocks and made sure they were set even and know things feel a lot better. Now the back feels great but the front is a little harsh. Probably need to dump the bigger spacers and go back to the correct size.

Blue-J

moped
Hi,
I'd like to revive an old thread, as I am also wondering about the benefits of replacing shocks/springs. What benefits would a regular rider feel if they replaced shocks/springs?

Any recommendations on brand? I'm only 5'7", so find the bike tall already, so don't want to add height. I don't ride two-up ever, either. I find bumps a tad bucky, so preload is at softest.

I have not found issues with my bike in twisties, but the front seems to sometimes bob when going in a straight line at 4th gear speeds. It might be a tire balance thing. I added in beads, but have not decided whether the bob is gone.

thanks,
J