Iron Butt on a Bonneville?

TheBBR

Scooter
Has anyone actually done an Iron Butt on a Bonneville, Scram, etc? I did 760m on mine in one day this week and don't think I could imagine doing another 240m. I had a gel thrux seat, but that wasn't enough.

BBR

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Are they still holding the "official" Iron Butt run on the West Coast?

Anyway running that many miles in a day is a bit over the top for me nowadays. Used to make L.A. to Denver in 2 days, but not on a Bonnie.

Long days in the saddle for me were always rugged and I almost always felt a buzz in my head and got the shakes at the end of the day.

Rhodie

Street Tracker
A guy rode one out on the East Coast a year or two back on a Srcrambler.
He posted his RR on the old forum.
He said that there were no big issues - which surprised me.
Especially the fuelling.

Last year Guy(Mistermellow) rode his bonnie from Washington State to VT
for the Bash. Kevin(skidplate865) rode his Scrambler from NYC to CA and
back last fall. Cast iron butts I think.

simpson

TT Racer
I am taking my Thruxton from NC to CA in June.

Once I get there and run up the PCH I was toying with the idea of an Iron Butt attempt west to east.

-simpson

TheBBR

Scooter
Simpson, I will be watching to see if you go for it. I think it would be easier in a state like AZ were the interstates have 75mph limits versus our weak 65mph in OR. I would love to do a cross country trip someday.
BBR

Has anyone actually done an Iron Butt on a Bonneville, Scram, etc? I did 760m on mine in one day this week and don't think I could imagine doing another 240m. I had a gel thrux seat, but that wasn't enough.

BBR

Whered you go?

You should ride with us to Cambria down in Ca on the 1st weekend of Aug.

hankmarx

750cc
I believe that cynr1023 did a grand in a day, maybe He'll check in.

My best in a day was Austin to Albuquerque. about 700 miles

koifarm

Hooligan
About the only way I can get by an iron butt marathon is to sit on my bonneville and read a road atlas, following the route with my finger while I rev the engine.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
I couldn't imagine even getting close. I topped out at 550mi in a day going from seattle to yakima to portland to seattle, and I was gassed by the end of the day.

Simpson, I will be watching to see if you go for it. I think it would be easier in a state like AZ were the interstates have 75mph limits versus our weak 65mph in OR. I would love to do a cross country trip someday.
BBR

Posted speed limits are merely suggestions.:motorbike2::pd:

I went to Phoenix for the weekend. 3 days down, 3 days there, 2 days back, 2950m. It was awesome! 2 days before I left I came home from a ride to eastern WA. I put almost 4000m on my bike in 12 days.

Dude... How long are your weekends? :D Typically mine are Sat-Sun

ssjones

750cc
One of the VA Bonneville America guys did it several times on his America. He had an extra gas tank rigged on the luggage rack. In fact, he did the double one as well. Always solo. Haven't heard from him in a while. The last time he checked in, he went for VA to CA and back in a couple of days. He's an animal.

cynr1023

TT Racer
Yup did:

Driving directions from Killeen, TX to Lake City, FL
1,018 mi – about 15 hours 57 mins

took me about 20 hours between fill ups, and a serious hit and run (I wasn't involved, just caught in traffic) took the superslab all the way with the exception of about two hours of detoured back roads in Florida because of the accident. Then the next day I did the rest of the trip ~350 miles to Ft. Lauderdale.

TheBBR

Scooter
Yup did:

Driving directions from Killeen, TX to Lake City, FL
1,018 mi – about 15 hours 57 mins

took me about 20 hours between fill ups, and a serious hit and run (I wasn't involved, just caught in traffic) took the superslab all the way with the exception of about two hours of detoured back roads in Florida because of the accident. Then the next day I did the rest of the trip ~350 miles to Ft. Lauderdale.

That f'in rules!! :rocks: I knew someone who had would chime in. My hat is off to you. What seat & bars did you have on?