Irene is screaming in my backyard!!

whyme

TT Racer
Well not really the storm but the after effects. Scrambled up a Generac generator since I have not had power at home since Saturday. I've learned that the "rac" in generac refers to the racquet it makes! Anyone have any experience quieting these things down?

thanks in advance!!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
And the first thing you did was log in here right? haha...

I think the manual might include requirements for the enclosure, if you make a dog house for it, 3 sides is better than 4 sides for cooling. No top.

I have to laugh at my neighbor. The idiot spent the last 3 nights with one pounding away right under his bedrooom window. Really? you need it to sleep?

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Sounds sarcastic but hunt around, get creative with stuff you might have at your house and create a blast wall for it. Line something up between the generator and the front of it that you want to re-direct the sound. It won't make it silent but it will taper it down a bit for you to tolerate.

koifarm

Hooligan
Well not really the storm but the after effects. Scrambled up a Generac generator since I have not had power at home since Saturday. I've learned that the "rac" in generac refers to the racquet it makes! Anyone have any experience quieting these things down?

thanks in advance!!

yep, get three or four sheets of plywood and make a rough box for the gen. open top but leave one panel loose so you can fuel it. That generally will deflect the noise up and out of your way....your neighbors will appreciate it as well. the 8x8 box allows the gen to breathe and exhaust out the top.
If you're set up in a way you can just use two sheets in a V and direct the noise to a nearby wooded area or the neighbors house if he's an asshole.
Three sheets in a triangle, depending on the size of the gen, will also work.
Whatever you do, don't close in the top.

whyme

TT Racer
Thanks everyone!! I'll try some things later if it I still need it. Everyday we pray for the JCP&L guys to visit our streets.

LA_Geezer

Scooter
Meanwhile, Tropical Depression #13 — soon to be named Tropical Storm Lee — is poised to dump about a foot of water on the central Gulf Coast from Louisiana to the Florida panhandle over the Labor Day weekend.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
When I got off the Big road, I was so used to my Semi idling away to keep me cool or warm depending on the season, I had to have some kind of noise to get to sleep. To this day I still need some backround noise.

I also have to have my pooches keeping me warm when i go to sleep.

I've heard from RVers that their generators keep other RVers up from time to time.

mark66

TT Racer
Whyme, you should have heard the old one I had running for 6 days (about 6 hours a day) until it blew the bottom of the connecting rod out the side of the engine case!!! The new Generac I got is quiet compared to the old one. I guess it all depends on where you set your bench mark.

KingBear

Hooligan
Shortly after my wife and I got married there was a major ice storm which knocked out power to our home for a couple days. We had just purchased a side of beef which was chillin' in the freezer locker, and I was worried that we would lose the whole thing. Fortunately the meat stayed frozen until power was restored, but I swore my family would never have to go without power like that again. That season I purchased the largest portable generator I could find, a Generac 7000EXL just like this one...

generac-7000-exl-portable-electric-start-generator-gas.jpg

Then a couple years later I had an electrician wire the essential circuits into a sub-panel which connects to an auxiliary cable. So now when the power goes out I roll the generator out of the garage (or if it is still storming I keep it just inside the garage and open the door to let out the exhaust), plug in the cable which runs directly up from our basement to the garage, flip a switch to prevent electrical back-feed, and start it up. I run the well pump, fan for the oil furnace, kitchen outlets, satellite TV, wireless DSL, and of course the refrigerators and freezers, all without running a single extension cord through the house. Here's a pic I found showing how it works...

FH08MAR_BACPOW_07.JPG

We've survived for days running on this generator, to the point that the power company brought fuel to us to keep it running when they couldn't get up our road to repair our line for five days, and we couldn't get down to get gas. Over the past ten years or so we have used it countless times, from an hour or two to several days at a time. We are in a rural area so trees bring down the lines frequently, though to my surprise we didn't lose power at all when Irene passed by.

I will never, ever have a home without this feature built in.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
whyme you have power back by now , don't you?

I live very close ( 1/2 mile ) from the main east west power line in my area, 5 miles from the power plant. The only time we have lost power in 10 years was the big north east blackout and then only for 4 hours.

whyme

TT Racer
I got it back Friday...almost a whole week!! Monday it went out again for 45 minutes, but when you called it predicted 4 hours. I'm ready now!!