I killed her...

mrt202

Street Tracker
After 52000+ wonderful miles. Bright and early on July 4th i bit the dust on Hwy 28 near Deals Gap. Insurance company says she's totaled. Unfortunately they don't want to pay me very much for her. At least i'll have enough to buy my buddys '03.
Got to hate it when these things happen. Especially without health insurance. But hey, I got me a titanium rod in my shin to match the titanium plate that i got in my foot last year. Only gonna set me back around 50 thousand bucks, including the 12 minute, $16,250.00 helicopter ride to Knoxville.:eeek: What can i say, it beats the shit out of crawling to the trauma center.:hurt:
On the upside, my precious 12 year old son who was riding pillion escaped with only a few scratches. Ahhh... making memories.:rolleyes:
Oh yeah, pics!
025-1.jpg

039-1-1.jpg

046.jpg

Last edited:

findlay13

Scooter
I'm sorry to read of your bad luck but as you say,your son was ok and only suffered a few scratches.Hope you recover soon.

DIRK

750cc
not happy about your adventure. your son will want to ride again, so good luck with the next one. and you will have a cool scar or 3. we will of course expect to hear of your healing and other odd opinions in this space. so if i send you a sticker or two will you put them on your cast?

mrt202

Street Tracker
My son has said he isn't scared to ride again, he's only scared of the yellow lines in the middle of the road, for obvious reasons.
I never had a cast, but i do like stickers.:)

oldmanjob

Scooter
I am glad you are alright, and especially that your son escaped injury (I bet he had to change his shorts:eeek:) Your Speedmaster and my Bonnie can exchange war stories in Bonnie heaven::drive:

Last edited:

zmilin

Street Tracker
:chair::hurt::chair::hurt::chair:

BUT...your son is safe and alive, youll heal and ride again.

Man...for as much as I love it when riding weather starts I also know the stories like yours are coming. :(

Have only just noticed this thread. Am so happy yr son ok; you as well of course. Thats a lotta money! We dont need insurance for emergency medical here so would be no more than coupla thousand at most here. How will you raise that much? What would it have cost for yearly insurance there?
Never realised just how expensive medical is in US.
Anyway as someone pointed out "its only money" But I do wish you a speedy recovery and hope financially u cope.

mrt202

Street Tracker
I thought i had health insurance effective July 1st, but somehow they decided that they "are unable to offer me coverage at this time." Something's fishy about the timing and i may end up with an attorney before it's over. Otherwise i'll just have to add them to the list of doctors i owe money to and pay them 20 bucks a month for the rest of my life.
Thanks for the well wishes fellas.

MattRat

TT Racer
heal fast!

Your bike doesn't look too bad...al little duct tape and some bubble gum and it'll be fine!

simpson

TT Racer
Glad that you both are still around. Sorry to hear about the insurance deal (health and motorcycle)

-simpson

koifarm

Hooligan
I've always thought insurance companies had a division that figured out devious but legal ways to screw you or deny insurance because of some obscure reason....the only one I have ever dealt with that just paid you, and quickly, when you submit a claim was AFLAC....."quack quack"

drlapo

Hooligan
I've always thought insurance companies had a division that figured out devious but legal ways to screw you or deny insurance because of some obscure reason....the only one I have ever dealt with that just paid you, and quickly, when you submit a claim was AFLAC....."quack quack"

Nothing to figure out, it's in the all insurance policy. It's a legal contract ; it says what it says. It works both ways; if it says you have the coverage , there is no way the insurance company can get out of it; if it's no, it's no
nothing devious going on but it is a royal pain in the ass to read the policy

Just saw this... hope you have a thorough recovery and heal up. So glad your son came out unharmed. Sobering stuff.

To perhaps make some lemonade from lemons... what's left of the bike? Saw the pic but not sure what got damaged. I'm thinking of doing a Triumph-based custom project bike, and looking for relatively late model engine/tranny to start with. I'm way out in Calif but maybe could have it shipped out if overall within reasonable budget... just an idea. Or maybe someone closer could do same so you could recover something from the bike. Or does insurance make you scrap it?

Get well.
- NorCal Chuckles

mrt202

Street Tracker
They're supposed to deliver it back to me tomorrow. Once i've had a good look at her i'll decide what to do with her carcass.

jewel

Scooter
Have only just noticed this thread. Am so happy yr son ok; you as well of course. Thats a lotta money! We dont need insurance for emergency medical here so would be no more than coupla thousand at most here. How will you raise that much? What would it have cost for yearly insurance there?
Never realised just how expensive medical is in US.
Anyway as someone pointed out "its only money" But I do wish you a speedy recovery and hope financially u cope.

Emergeny hospital is free in Australia, and I think that the helicopter ride is also free - I will ask a friend of mine who had the misfortune of having one of those rides after coming off the bike, so next time Care Flight rings for a donation we should look at what we have and donate.

Jewel

mrt202

Street Tracker
..so per the phone conversation last Thursday, they were supposed to bring the bike to me by this past Tuesday. It's now Thursday again and i haven't seen the bike. Is it worth more if it is missing?:yawn: We still haven't come to an agreement on a $$ amount either. So here i am with no bike, no money, and no idea when this bullshit will be settled. I believe i will be looking for another insurance company when this is over...