GPS question

Had a off brand Mio. Uses a mount from a bicycle site. Worked okay and was cheap but the power connector got loose and didn't stay seated well. Plus dropping it on the shop floor didn't help any.

Shamus

Scooter
I have a Nuvi 255 and use a Ram mount. Did a five day/1500 mile trip up CA coast, into Oregon and back to NV with no problems. Rained heavy on us for a day up coast and I covered the GPS with a ziplock bag and a rubber band. No problems what so ever. I turn the voice off and just glance down now and again. I am a planning rider, rather than the "lets see where that road goes" rider, so the GPS is a must for me.

Rick

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I have a Garmin Nuvi for my car & truck. It isn't waterproof, but I want to use it on rides. I saw a bicycle mount for it that clamps to the handlebars, but I'm not sure I trust it.

Anyone use a non-moto GPS on their bike? Any hints, especially relating to the Garmin?

thanks forum friends!

I ran into this same problem when I came to Japan. I can't read kanji so using a traditional map was obviously a no-go for me. I have a Garmin as well and this is what I came up with to use on my Bonnie...hopefully it helps what you are looking for.

I had this stem nut made that basically has a cap on top of it that house the ball. The cap is attached by three fine allen screws so it can be taken off when you do not need the ball:

IMG_3388.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

Then I went to ram mounts website and order these. They were a seperate order for the stem and the GPS housing. You can look up the housing by the GPS make and model you have. I wanted to keep the set up as basic as possible and I didn't like the idea of putting it on my handlebar:

IMG_3389.jpg

This is how everything is hooked up (I'm only half awake with coffee in hand right now so please disregard that the housing is upside down :D):

IMG_3390.jpg

I'm really happy with this set up. It is locked onto my bike very well and what is best about it, is that it doesn't block line of sight anywhere and I can see my speedo and tach without any problems. Hope this was something you were asking/looking for.

*almost forget...my GPS is not made for a bike either. I have been caught in the rain a couple of times and I just pulled over and removed it...as you can see, it is really easy to take it off and on with this set up. The only other problem I have is that you do not have the best illumination on a very strong, sunny day but that is something I have gotten used to and it doesn't bother me anymore. It certainly didn't bother me enough to pay the price difference for what they charge for a GPS for a bike!

Neat solution B06Tang. I got a RAM ballmount that sits under the stem of the mirror - very low profile so I keep it there permanently. I use a Garmin 60CSx which sits to the left of the instruments so like you, I can see my speedo, tach and oil light all the time.

Photo-0036.jpg

IMG_0051Small.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Nice pic Pikey! I've only been Thailand once for a joint exercise but I bet the riding there is awesome. Are there a lot of Bonnies out on the roads there?

Nice pic Pikey! I've only been Thailand once for a joint exercise but I bet the riding there is awesome. Are there a lot of Bonnies out on the roads there?

I've 2 mates with T100 Bonnies within 200km of me and Rhodie who posts here has a tricked out Scrambler in Bangkok but gets up here sometimes on it

ScramBonnie3LR.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.