GPS question

I have a Garmin Nuvi for my car & truck. It isn't waterproof, but I want to use it on rides. I saw a bicycle mount for it that clamps to the handlebars, but I'm not sure I trust it.

Anyone use a non-moto GPS on their bike? Any hints, especially relating to the Garmin?

thanks forum friends!

Small magnetic tankbag with a map window.

I use the RAM mount system on my Bonnie & DRz - very strong and if it rains, quick detach and bung it in your tankbag or pocket.

http://www.ram-mount.com/

Cheers,

Pikey.

Last edited:

Mahart

Two Stroke
I purchased a Nuvi 500 earlier this year. It's not technically for motorcycles, but it's waterproof so I use it anyway. Most Nuvi's come with a suctioncup mount. I put the suctioncup on the speedometer. I bounces a bit on the Bonne, but it's still readable. I later the bought the U-clamp for 1" bars and it doesn't bounce anymore.

GPSNuvi500mount.jpg

If I don't listen to music, I can hear the voice commands if my speed is 50mph or less-that's with earplugs in. I mostly glance down to read the directions as they pop-up on the little marquee' at the top of the page.

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
I've used the pocket method many times with great success. When I took my road trip I stuck the suction mount to my tank and it worked okay, except that I had to look down too much to see it.

The best mount I can imagine is like the stem nut mount D9 has. I'd like one that mounts on the nut with both a strong magnet (for quick on and off) and a set screw (for semi-permanent mounting), then with a nice, straight, clean stem that comes up to just above the handlebar clamp. With a ball on the end of the stem that matches the Garmin it would be a clean addition to the instrument cluster, and right up front for easy viewing. With your skills you could probably fab one up ricky tick.

As far as waterproofing goes, I'd recommend asking your mother why she never taught you to have the sense to come in out of the rain. :D

Bonafide

NBR founder
I used my Garmin last week on my 5 day/1500 mile ride. Mounted it to the suction cup mount, that was stuck to the Tach. Solid. Never moved and was easy to access and follow. Had a power cord hardwired to the battery and a 12V accessory plug to that. Wires contained in the tankbag.

geolpilot

Street Tracker
I have used mine with a ram handlebar mount. You could always put a baggie over it in rainy weather.

ssjones

750cc
RAM mount on a homemade bracket that attaches to my windshield, very secure, but easy to remove. I ran a 12V powersocket out of the headlight. I think the RAM mount was about $15 shipped.

I listen to directions and music via a set of volume adjustable earbuds. They don't stay put, so I keep a roll of medical tape in my bag and tape each to my ear when I'm going to be on the road for a few hours.

A ziplock bag fits over the GPS for bad weather, or I can slip it bagged in my pocket.

The Garmin is just loud enough to be heard over my Specialty Spares pipes. Adjusting the volume on my Nuvi is not easy, no dial, so the volume adjustable earbuds are a must. I need a lot more volume at a steady 75 mph than at 45-50 mph.

zmilin

Street Tracker
Sweat Ive used auto spec Garmins on my bike for three years now with no issues. Ive been caught in some rain and its gotten wet (never soaked cause I run a windshield).
I got my ball mount from a guy on ebay. If your interested PM me and Ill get you a link to his auction.

heres what mine looks like (newer GPS in use now but you get the idea)
2692521849_7dd3c0b374_o.jpg

2692522027_ba705d2231_o.jpg

2693336564_887828325f_o.jpg