Good place for handlebars

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
Guys, I just found a great place for good quality handlebars:

www.thehandlebarcompany.com

They're based in New Zealand and they're cheap (£39/$78 including shipping to the UK). Fast, friendly service too. I ordered the Heritage Western bars, which are - in my opinion - better than the Norman Hyde Western bars both in terms of shape and quality. Quality scale: NH = 4/10, new company = 9/10. One thing I did notice though, if I wanted to fit these new bars to my Bonneville I'd need to extend the control cables too, which isn't a big deal if you have a soldering iron and a little common sense. They have more pullback and are slightly wider than the NH bars. After seeing the quality of Norman Hyde Western bars and a set of replacements (Chrome was terrible on both) I personally won't be dealing with NH again after comparing the quality and value for money between the two.

All the best.

DavidC

Rocker
Hmmm...I have had two NH bars, both M's from NewBonn. I thought they were pretty good. But then, I've never closely scrutinized other brands. I've heard good things about Flanders. Anyway, I'm back to the stock setup, and it's good for me right now. Hope the new ones are to your liking!

Hedge

American Infidel
Could you expand a bit on the "soldering iron and a little common sense" part? I have always thought about adding Western Bars to my ride but didn't want to buy the extended cable package. It seems you have this noodled out though!

tchef

Scooter
What I gather from the post is you will need the the longer cable kit AND the electrics....just guessin

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
Hmmm...I have had two NH bars, both M's from NewBonn. I thought they were pretty good. But then, I've never closely scrutinized other brands. I've heard good things about Flanders. Anyway, I'm back to the stock setup, and it's good for me right now. Hope the new ones are to your liking!

Cheers. Yes, I've heard NH's other bars seem fine. The western bars seem to be different. I've heard a few people say the finish is crap. I've seen two sets now and the chrome on them was very, very poor.

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
Could you expand a bit on the "soldering iron and a little common sense" part? I have always thought about adding Western Bars to my ride but didn't want to buy the extended cable package. It seems you have this noodled out though!

What I gather from the post is you will need the the longer cable kit AND the electrics....just guessin

Yes, on these bars that's right. Hedge, the extended cables are necessary, especially on these new Westerns. As for the wiring, I haven't extended it on a Bonneville, but have on another bike. I'm assuming the Bonnie will involve the same work - basically splicing in an extension to each separate wire from each control. I imagine the wires will be colour coded, but if not I'd just use coloured tape; cut the loom in the middle or wherever you want to make the splice; splice in +6" or whatever you need for your particular bars; solder each connection; heat-shrink tubing on each solder point; finished off with some new plastic cable sleeve.

DandyDoug

750cc
In a previous post someone mentioned the need for longer cables with the Flat Track style bars.
Not necessarily !
If you pull the tank off , disconnect the cables at the throttle and then re route them to the right side of the frame from the left, you will gain almost two inches of length. You will need a longer brake line.

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
In a previous post someone mentioned the need for longer cables with the Flat Track style bars.
Not necessarily !
If you pull the tank off , disconnect the cables at the throttle and then re route them to the right side of the frame from the left, you will gain almost two inches of length. You will need a longer brake line.

Very true. Those new Westerns I just bought need about +4 inches though.

5bassman

Two Stroke
I have the NH Western bars and your right, the finish is terrible and you can see where the bar pieces fit together. They're not a one piece bar.

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
I have the NH Western bars and your right, the finish is terrible and you can see where the bar pieces fit together. They're not a one piece bar.

Hi Bassman. I wondered whether those lines on the bars you're referring to were actually joins or tool marks where the bars had been bent. Either way it's pretty poor. The new bars I have are flawless in that respect.

5bassman

Two Stroke
Hi Bassman. I wondered whether those lines on the bars you're referring to were actually joins or tool marks where the bars had been bent. Either way it's pretty poor. The new bars I have are flawless in that respect.

They may be join marks but IMO shouldn't be visable. I'm checking out those at that website!

tchef

Scooter
I inquired on these bars, seems like a good deal. I am concerned about sending CC info in email.I have never done this w/o secure ordering.Should I ring them up or send check?:confused:

5bassman

Two Stroke
I inquired on these bars, seems like a good deal. I am concerned about sending CC info in email.I have never done this w/o secure ordering.Should I ring them up or send check?:confused:

They seem legit to me, I'd do a Credit Card. But I ended up picking another set of Flanders bars up on Ebay for $62 shipped, brand new. Hard to beat Flanders bars!

FrankBlack

Two Stroke

I ordered by CC. Sending by email isn't the safest, but I did it in two parts. Send the first part of your CC details in one email, and the rest in another. Phoning would be safer still. Remember you'll need longer cables and, probably, extended control wiring.

tchef

Scooter
I did exactly that,sent in two emails....didn't think of that until Allan suggested it.Now the wait is on.Bob

tchef

Scooter
I got the sporty western bars from Allen in Nz.Got here in 4 days!Wow.I got the
cable kit from NB. Question... the barrel on the push side of throttle tube seems to need a little persuasion to go in the plastic hole on the housing, anyone else
have that problem? The pull cable on the carb seems like a challenge for me,so I will remove carbs to to get at the cam.Any tips? Thanks,Bob:huh: