Go your own way ( or who do you ride with)

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
As much as I liketo ride with my buddies and their girls, sometime I just need to go my own way, if you know what I mean. Yesterday, I finally got back onto the Old Post Road which is a spiral roller coaster built before the days of automobiles, when roads ran AROUND big rock and trees.The town has no PD, there is virtually zero traffic out there so you can have some fun. Here is a google map

picture.php

This is the type of riding that exercises the adrenal glands. These roads are mini dragon tails and they are everywhere around here. They are to me the epitome of why I ride. This particular road is 20 feet wide with excellent, dare I say perfect pavement.Conditions were ideal with no traffic. And no PD in this town, did I mention that? Anyway, yesterday riding the Old Post Road I came up on a couple of riders wearing the fringe on full dressers and they were fully doing 25 mph and taking up most of the road. Not one to disrespect another rider, I slowed down and stayed back and found out what 25 mph on a twisty road is really all about. Wow.

Totally. Sucked.

Whats the protocol with something like that? Do you get in his mirror and wait for a signal or do you just downshift and blow past with a wave or what?

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Cagers aren't the only ones who like to take a nice slow sunday cruise. Pick when the time is safe and blow past.

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
+ 4 on the blow past, I've been behind many Sunday Riders that will NEVER acknowledge you or move over to let you pass. Pick a safe opening and GO.

KingBear

Hooligan
I don't think passing would be a breach of etiquette, especially if accompanied by a friendly wave which they will likely interpreted as just saying "howdy", but secretly means "see ya, slowpokes." :wave:

Threewheelbonni

Two Stroke
Pass when safe, just like any slower traffic. Wave because it's the friendly thing to do.

As a rider of smaller bikes (MZ's mostly) and sidecars, the only thing that annoys me is bikes that pass then slow down. What's the point of doing 100+ on the straights but being unable to actually lean the bike over and take the corners above walking pace. I'm afraid these loons get one or two free corners, then it's fair play to pass on the exits. I've only had one clown that really didn't like it. We had two minutes of him shouting about how 290cc two strokes shouldn't pass Honda Fireplaces and then in sunk it that the whole cafe was laughing at him.

Andy

GF

Scooter
+ 4 on the blow past, I've been behind many Sunday Riders that will NEVER acknowledge you or move over to let you pass. Pick a safe opening and GO.

I've seen him in action- if you hesitate, you get left! First available opening...

John- winter's been too long. Let's go ride!:motorbike2:

zmilin

Street Tracker
Being a cruiser rider the only thing I hate is when Im passed in an unsafe manner. That being on a curve or so fast that I dont know IM going to get passed.
Knowing Im on a bike that doesnt handle quite as well I will gladly move over and wave another rider on. The pisser is when they wont pass...:p

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Nice of you to share a nice road. Of course my favorites roads are no secret, so I don't have any reason to tell guys about em.

KingBear

Hooligan
Being a cruiser rider the only thing I hate is when Im passed in an unsafe manner. That being on a curve or so fast that I dont know IM going to get passed.
Knowing Im on a bike that doesnt handle quite as well I will gladly move over and wave another rider on. The pisser is when they wont pass...:p
I'm a relatively slow rider myself, just out for a stroll rather than a race. Like you said, there's nothing wrong with passing as long as it's done safely and courteously.

I've gotten behind these groups and enjoyed watching them ride. I just hang in the back. I remember watching a couple of them who looked like they could barely handle their massive bikes around a curve, even as slow as they were going--brake lights flashing at all the wrong times.

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
I've seen him in action- if you hesitate, you get left! First available opening...

John- winter's been too long. Let's go ride!:motorbike2:

It sure has - I'm ready!! I'll be riding every day next week - Monday through Sunday in the N GA mountains and then Maggie Valley. New set of Sport Demons to get me through!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I'm just trying to be aware and not po a fellow rider. At the same time here I am with 30 empty turns ahead of me and I'm doing 25! I think they are hypnotized by all the noise and vi-a-bration. I'll bet if one of them gets spooked and crashes they would blame me.

I could have made a move several times but waited for a signal and some room but it never happened. Next time I will just pass exiting the turn, give a nod and call it good.

Ride my own pace

I don't ride fast and mostly alone. I like to look at the scenery I'm passing through, it's so much more pleasurable to see the scenery clearly than to just see a speed blurred glimpse of it once in a while. Riding alone lets me stop and stare, at my leisure, at particulary pretty scenery with out ruffling the feathers of those that want to burn up as much roadway in as little time as possible as they can.

I will pass (when safe) anything on the road that moves slower than me and move over if a faster rider comes up behind me and let him pass. After all, the roads belong to all of us, for our enjoyment and use. Common courteousy S/B the rule of the road but, not always practiced by everyone. GOSBN

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Karma being what it is,caught up again. Last Sunday wifey and I went out for a 100 mile mountin ride on sunday with some friends who are HD riders. They are good people. Both riding dynas and both (not exaggerating here) refuse to go over 40 mph even merging into 60+ mph traffic. Both riding a mile behind us most of the time with my wife leading us on her GS250. I could see their headilights way back there..

There is such a difference when you get down to 35 mph or less for two hours, especially on big roads. Its awful. I don't know why people ride like that. I think the HD's with their vibraition and weight probably feel better than my little twin does at 35. The funny thing is they got brand new bikes and added screaming eagle pipes and remapped injection and high flow intake and filters and yet they literally will not break 40 mph....