gel seat

bonnieboy

Scooter
I have a gel seat on my t100, a great improvement on the stock seat. It is lower and a slightly different shape to the stock seat. It is also covered with a different vinyl and has the later logo on the back which is not coloured. It has a Triumph tag stitched on as well. Long rides are a lot easier on my arse now!

DIRK

750cc
if you want to make sure you have air flowing around then go with a beaded cover. those things will move air. to much for winter just right for summer.

BlackBonNYC

Two Stroke
BlackBonNYC how can you compare seat comfort if you are not sure if the seat is gel or not? Apples and oranges man.

because I thought it was gel based on A) what Bonafide said earlier in this thread. B) it is usually more expensive than the "gel" seat. and C) my local dealer told me it was

can you understand that?

geolpilot

Street Tracker
If you watch this forum and the other one and ebay, you can pick up any seat that you want to try for a reasonable cost. More importantly, if you don't like it, you can sell it and only be out shipping cost. I did that with many seats.

Bonafide

NBR founder
ok .. the "Gel" Thruxton seat has a different part number (A9700134) than a stock Thruxton seat (A9700134). Currently, you can get a 'Gel' seat cheaper than a stock one from some of the aftermarket vendors on the internet.

The Sixty8 contemporary Thruxton seat with a gray top (A9700137) is more expensive than a stock or Gel .. but it's the same price a solid BLACK Sixty8 Thruxton seat (T2300603). Go figure.

BlackBonNYC

Two Stroke
ok .. the "Gel" Thruxton seat has a different part number (A9700134) than a stock Thruxton seat (A9700134). Currently, you can get a 'Gel' seat cheaper than a stock one from some of the aftermarket vendors on the internet.

The Sixty8 contemporary Thruxton seat with a gray top (A9700137) is more expensive than a stock or Gel .. but it's the same price a solid BLACK Sixty8 Thruxton seat (T2300603). Go figure.

so, according to what you are saying here, there is a difference between the stock thruxton seat and the contemporary seats which come in black, gray top, and brown. So what is that difference? If they are not "gel" than how are they different? Is there just more foam padding? Again I will say that my contemporary seat is not much more comfortable than stock (if at all), but it seems strange that they sell nearly identical seats with different part numbers

Bonafide

NBR founder
The only differences (besides the colored ones) I've seen in the Gel seat and the Thruxton Sixty8 seats is a little 'tag' on the other edge - one says "sixty8" and the other says "Triumph". Otherwise, there's no difference. Of course, this is my opinion. I've owned several Thruxton seats (gel and stock) but I never dissected those seats. I cant see the benefit in pricing from the Gel vs Contemp seat ... unless you're wanting a color other than black.

jackblack

Scooter
On my standard seat i had the filling replaced with harder foam - it only cost 1/3 the cost of a new seat - the seat is now much better and can ride for twice the distance -

slowgator

750cc
The only differences (besides the colored ones) I've seen in the Gel seat and the Thruxton Sixty8 seats is a little 'tag' on the other edge - one says "sixty8" and the other says "Triumph". Otherwise, there's no difference. Of course, this is my opinion. I've owned several Thruxton seats (gel and stock) but I never dissected those seats. I cant see the benefit in pricing from the Gel vs Contemp seat ... unless you're wanting a color other than black.

OK, now you're messing with my mind (not hard to do). IS there a comfort advantage to going to the Thruxton gel seat from the stock Bonnie seat?

Bonafide

NBR founder
OK, now you're messing with my mind (not hard to do). IS there a comfort advantage to going to the Thruxton gel seat from the stock Bonnie seat?

To me, there was a significant upgrade in confront when going from a stock Bonnie seat to a Thruxton Gel seat.

rodburner

Rocker
Of course, this is my opinion. I've owned several Thruxton seats (gel and stock) but I never dissected those seats.
Only my opinion also,but I HAVE dissected both Thruxton seats,gel and stock,as well as Bonnie stock,Bonnie solo and the K&Qs. Haven`t gotten a Scram solo to try yet,though. The Thrux gel seat looks exactly like a stock Thrux seat,except for a vary slight raised outline starting from about 1/2 to 3/4" in from the edge,where the gel sits.The gel is very cheap and squishy compared to the dry,medical polymer used in the ProPad`s,for example.Its more like the goo used in those little kneeling pads that gardeners use. On its own,if sat upon,it flows out,away from the bony parts of my butt,until I`m sitting on whatever is under it. The stock Thrux foam is slightly more firm than stock Bonnie foam,so its able to contain the outflow somewhat,but certainly [IMO]not enough to justify paying ANY extra for it.Its a marketing thing for the most part [IMO] but as stated earlier,if you have the right kind of ass,you will like it more than the stock seats.I didn`t like it at all. Like the Corbin site touts so proudly,seat comfort is 90% ergonomics and 10% foam.A stock Thrux seat is [a whole bunch of IMOs coming now] by far the best looking seat Triumph makes for the "classics".Its narrower in front for us short guys and has a gentle buttstop for more aggressive riding.It is slighty crowned though,instead of the buttcupping pillow perch K&Q.Its more comfy than a stock Bonnie seat,but just a little.EVERYBODY here will have an opinion on which seat is best,yada,yada,yada and they will be right,but just for themselves.You would have to try them all as well as the Corbin/Hyde/MAS etc offerings to find out.Personally,my most comfy seat right now is 100% ergo`s and zero foam.All steel and fiberglass and good for a tank full.

jewel

Scooter
For me the K&Q seat is great. I can sit on that seat all day with no ill effects.
The only thing that irritates me is the kevlar in my jeans which can cause an irritation at about the 300klm mark.

Jewel:)

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
For me the K&Q seat is great. I can sit on that seat all day with no ill effects.
The only thing that irritates me is the kevlar in my jeans which can cause an irritation at about the 300klm mark.

Jewel:)
Butt the K&Q is butt ugly if you will forgive the pun. ;)

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Only my opinion also,but I HAVE dissected both Thruxton seats,gel and stock,as well as Bonnie stock,Bonnie solo and the K&Qs. Haven`t gotten a Scram solo to try yet,though. The Thrux gel seat looks exactly like a stock Thrux seat,except for a vary slight raised outline starting from about 1/2 to 3/4" in from the edge,where the gel sits.The gel is very cheap and squishy compared to the dry,medical polymer used in the ProPad`s,for example.Its more like the goo used in those little kneeling pads that gardeners use. On its own,if sat upon,it flows out,away from the bony parts of my butt,until I`m sitting on whatever is under it. The stock Thrux foam is slightly more firm than stock Bonnie foam,so its able to contain the outflow somewhat,but certainly [IMO]not enough to justify paying ANY extra for it.Its a marketing thing for the most part [IMO] but as stated earlier,if you have the right kind of ass,you will like it more than the stock seats.I didn`t like it at all. Like the Corbin site touts so proudly,seat comfort is 90% ergonomics and 10% foam.A stock Thrux seat is [a whole bunch of IMOs coming now] by far the best looking seat Triumph makes for the "classics".Its narrower in front for us short guys and has a gentle buttstop for more aggressive riding.It is slighty crowned though,instead of the buttcupping pillow perch K&Q.Its more comfy than a stock Bonnie seat,but just a little.EVERYBODY here will have an opinion on which seat is best,yada,yada,yada and they will be right,but just for themselves.You would have to try them all as well as the Corbin/Hyde/MAS etc offerings to find out.Personally,my most comfy seat right now is 100% ergo`s and zero foam.All steel and fiberglass and good for a tank full.

You know seats Rod. Although perhaps not 90/10, shape may indeed trump foam or substrate. Corbin understands this...also why K&Q is so comfy although ungodly ugly and why Mustang has such a following in the industry. The more the seat conforms the lower the psi independent of material. As to material, I am not a fan of gel. Yes it will laterally displace to conform but it also get very hot in the summer. Right now I am riding my '09 stock T100 seat which isn't perfect and will bug me a bit over 100 miles or so but I generally only take my bike out for 30-80 mile rides so no big complaint. Unusual for me that I don't change the seat off the bat. I will probably tweak it in an effort to seek a better shape but it won't be with gel. Spencer aka Frank, seat customizer extrordinare out of Florida has a new material that he now uses in replacement of gel. If he uses it, it works. He is the smartest seat guy I know. Many suffer the illusion that soft is better. It isn't. Some can't tolerate the firmness of a Corbin seat but soreness comes from sinking into the foam and not conforming to your bottom. The better the shape of the seat conforms and the firmer the seat, generally the better the comfort. Same for bicycle racing saddles as well btw.
Your latest seat Rob is testament. Many wouldn't even attempt to ride a seat without foam but if your sitbones have found a home without sinking in, the surrounding area won't get sore.
Cheers.
PS: on the subject of seats, the overall ergos of the motorcycle matter relative to body type and proportion. The lower the handlebar in front for example, the more the weight on the hands and lower the weight on the seat. This is why rearsets and even midset bikes like the bonny are more comfortable to many including me than cruisers with forward controls. So the shape of the bike relative to rider matters as much as the shape and material of the seat in my experience.

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Butt, that's your opinion.

Jewel
Not just mine Jewel...many. If a poll were taken the K&Q would come in dead last for looks...not comfort. Many believe the K&Q was penned from a guy who worked in a back room of a 70's disco lounge. :) A K&Q on a bonneville is akin to putting a bench seat in a Lotus. ;)
No accounting for taste.

"A K&Q on a bonneville is akin to putting a bench seat in a Lotus."
Agree, I didn't like them when they came out in the 70's and still don't.

jewel

Scooter
Not just mine Jewel...many. If a poll were taken the K&Q would come in dead last for looks...not comfort. Many believe the K&Q was penned from a guy who worked in a back room of a 70's disco lounge. :)

I, at the age of 50 don't give a rat's arse as to what other people like or dislike, comfort is more of a concern to me. My Sunday ride is around 250klms and a weekend ride can be up to 600klms, K&Q seat I love it.:worthy:
:kiss:
Jewel