Fuel range on "ON" and "RES"

RGThruxon

Scooter
Bikebits,

Are you going to be riding up the James Bay Road on your way up to Labrador? It's a 600+ km drive from Matagami Quebec to Radisson where LG 1 & 2 are. Between the two towns is one service station @ km marker 381. It's a pretty remote and desolate area. I've driven up there three times with a boat but never made it up to Radisson. It's something I've been obsessing about for atleast 10 years. I'd like to do it on my Thruxton but due to the fuel range I get on mine 100 - 115 before reserve. I'd never make it. Even w/ a spare tank of gas.

jenkspj

Scooter
What is left?

A couple of years ago I did an experiment, running the bike till it cut out "dry". I did this to see if it would be worth fitting a second gas tap on the right side.

When the bike "ran out" by leaning the bike over to the left so it is almost on the ground it is possible to find another pint or so of fuel that sits on the right side of the tank ridge. I got another 8 miles till it died again.

Then if you take the tank off you find there is about 2 fl oz of unusable fuel in the tank. Yes, I took the tank off and by holding the tank up got the last bit out into a bottle.

I then put it all back together, poured the gallon I'd got in a can in the tank and rode home.

Conclusion: it isn't worth the bother of a second gas tap.