Fuel range on "ON" and "RES"

gcrider

Street Tracker
I haven't run completely out of gas yet, but I'm having to switch to reserve at about 106 - 115 miles depending on how hard I'm running. After filling up and checking mileage, I figure I'm switching to reserve at about 3.15 gallons or so. Is that about right? Does that really mean I've got another 40 miles or so on reserve? One day I'm gonna take a gas can with a gallon of gas with me and run completely out just to see, but thought I'd see what the group knows.

Rhodie

Street Tracker
The exercise you propose is actually a very useful thing for all of us to do,
when you have finished 'customising' your set-up - carbs, sprockets, NARK, pipes etc.
I get about 125 miles or so before switching over depending on load, fuel & roads ridden.
I have not ridden the reserve out - yet!

Last edited:

tscram

moped
I've ridden the reserve out at 139 miles. Luckily I was in coasting distance to a gas station. The 139 were harder miles and mostly city riding, so probably on the low side of what you could get out of it.

SCL18

Two Stroke
When riding on the highway I hit 150miles (3.2 gallons) before i switch to reserve...from there i've pushed it another 25 miles with no problems.

City riding i hit resereve at about 100miles and then find the nearest gas station.

I'm curious if you can get to the full 4.4 gallons or if the frame/tank split will rob you of .5 gallonss??

Steve

hankmarx

750cc
City driving, 105 to reserve
Out of town, 125
reserve, at least 25 miles, Probably further but damn i was glad to see a station

Problem is,there's no consensus.The mileage on these bike varies so much.My Scram goes on res 130 to 135,no matter where or how I ride.Roughly 40mpg. Some are getting 25mpg,others 55mpg.Takes a scoshe over 3 gal to top off. Personally,I think some peoples arithmatic is suspect.

I haven't ran mine this low yet,but reliable sources(Uzidizit) say that,yes,opposite side of the tank will trap a pint or so,that can be splashed to the petcock side,in a pinch.

Cheers!
Bruce

ggRAT

Street Tracker
40 miles on reserve

I did run out of gas recently in Charlotte. I went 35mi (56km) on the reserve, but much of that was in stop-and-go rush-hour traffic, so I'd estimate 40mi (64km) at a moderate steady speed is realistic. Typically at around 115 mi (185 km) she hits reserve which is 40/mpg (17km/l).

(See my sig for mods to correlate with your bike.)

Last edited:

DavidC

Rocker
Hmmm...let me see. Went about 180 miles [reserve at about 157] and fill up showed I had .8 of a gallon left. I could have easily went past 200 miles. This is not city riding - surburbia with a lot of back roads using modest throttle and an unaltered Bonneville. I don't sweat it when hitting reserve in normal circumstances; and nearly all my circumstances are normal.

When riding on the highway I hit 150miles (3.2 gallons) before i switch to reserve...from there i've pushed it another 25 miles with no problems.

City riding i hit resereve at about 100miles and then find the nearest gas station.

I'm curious if you can get to the full 4.4 gallons or if the frame/tank split will rob you of .5 gallonss??

Steve

I was riding back to Pagosa Spgs and switched to reserve at 167 miles going up the east side of Wolf Creek. Rode on into PS and the next morn ran out at 213 miles on the odo. Had to push it a block uphill to gas- 7,800 ft elev and twopackaday nearly killed me. I have never gone over 150 b4 having to go to reserve. I think it must hav been because I was going uphill when I hit res. However when I got to the pump all I could pump in was 4 gal so there must have been .4 gal left. I am getting between 45-50 mpg consistent

GuyM

Street Tracker
PG - that's great! Except for having to push the bike uphill of course! :)

I generally fuel up at about 100 - 120 miles and it generally takes close to three gallons, or about 40 mpg. Have hit the reserve anywhere from about 115 miles to about 140 miles depending on if I'm just cruising along on a two-lane highway at modest speed, or riding a little harder.

Never have gone far on reserve - I take switching to reserve as a warning that I'd better go fuel up!

bikebits

Scooter
My Scrambler gets a pretty regular 240 km to reserve.

I'm adding an auxiliary gas can setup for a trip this summer where we will find a 288km stretch of gravel road with no services. I might make it on reserve but it would be a pretty close call.

Before the trip I plan to run the tank dry to see what range can be expected before resorting to the can.

bikebits

Scooter
The parts arrived this week and I finished fabricating the mount for the auxiliary gas can today. This should take me well over 350km for one fill up.

DSCN13961944x1458.jpg

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq163/bikebits/Triumph/DSCN13971944x1458.jpg

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq163/bikebits/Triumph/DSCN13981944x1458.jpg

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq163/bikebits/Triumph/DSCN13991944x1458.jpg

Bonniebret

Rocker
PG - that's great! Except for having to push the bike uphill of course! :)

I generally fuel up at about 100 - 120 miles and it generally takes close to three gallons, or about 40 mpg. Have hit the reserve anywhere from about 115 miles to about 140 miles depending on if I'm just cruising along on a two-lane highway at modest speed, or riding a little harder.

Never have gone far on reserve - I take switching to reserve as a warning that I'd better go fuel up!

You and I are on the exact same regiment.

blacktiger

Scooter
My EFI Scrambler goes to 160 miles before the light comes on solid but it is running weak at low revs which I've got to get sorted so that might come down a bit after some tuning. Filling up from that point, I get 13.5 litres in. Which is 3 UK gallons leaving 4 litres reserve.

bikebits

Scooter
Range on reserve

As a follow up to my auxiliary gas can pics earlier in this thread, I had a chance for a mileage test run yesterday. The bike usually goes on reserve at 225-240 km. There was a howling strong wind and I hit reserve at 215 km.

The real test began to see the maximum range on reserve. It sputtered again and died at 280. So, with mileage running at less than my average, I got 65 km out of reserve. I didn't bother trying to slosh any gas over from the right side of the tank.

The longest distance on the Trans-Labrador Highway without services is 288 km. Based on my usual mileage I should be able to make it, but with the reserve can it won't be a problem.

When I tried to put in gas from the Kolpin can I made an important discovery. It has one of those "environmentally friendly" spouts with the spring-loaded plunger. I found out the spout is not compatible with the Scrambler's filler hole. The spout won't fit down the hole; it just sloshed gas all over the tank. It was apparent I could not use the spout. With the wind so strong, pouring directly from the can just resulted in sheets of gas all over the tank with none down the filler hole. So much for the environment, spilling gas all over the place.

I turned the bike into the wind and hung my jacket over the mirrors and headlight to create a wind break. Now the gas went in the filler. The can had 4 litres in it; it will hold 5. I'm guessing a bit more than 3.5 litres made it into the tank.

I turned the petcock to 'run' from reserve and rode until the bike sputtered again at 300 km. So, figuring that the second reserve would get another 65 km, the theoretical maximum range with the Kolpin can is at least 365 km.

It looks like the gas situation for the trip is solved, as soon as I get down to the hardware store and pick up a plain spout for the can.

Old_Eric

Scooter
The fuel consumption of my Scrambler (2007, the last carbuerator model) has been in the range of 4.3 - 5.7 l/100 km naturally debending on where, how fast and who has been driving. My son has reached the greatest values and I the lowest.

What do you think, how much you can reduce the fuel consumption with a wind shield or better tires? (I've still the original Bridgestone Trailwings on my bike).

Last edited:

GuyM

Street Tracker
Hmmmm. Managed to ignore my own sage advice and rode it until it just flat ran out of fuel... 158.9 miles. Pushed it to a nearby filling station, and put in just short of 4 gallons, then motored away...

About 40 mpg, mixed city & highway - and from here on I'll only count on 4 gallons...

At least the Scram is light and easy to push - just embarrassing...

Hi I am new to this site and the Scrambler, I have 2009 Injected with an Arrow pipe, so my fuel consumption is less than most! reserve light comes on at about 120 miles, a little less mpg is worth the extra performance you get with the Arrow pipe though!

tribear

Street Tracker
06 Scram/07 Bonnie Blk, both go 135 to 145 miles to reserve, then I try to get fuel within 25 to 30 miles after that for a cushion. I keep a small calculator on board and consistently average 45 to 47 mpg. Just to reiterate a great trick already posted several times that may save your arse from pushing: if she quits on reserve, lean the bike over to the left as far as you can without squashing yourself and splash/slosh any remaining fuel from the right side of the tank over to the left. May just get you to the pump.