Fuel capacity and warning light

austat2

Scooter
`my light comes on anywhere between 130kms and 190 kms but i can get 250+kms no worries. But i did run out once at 200kms without the fuel light coming on dunno the size difference between the scrambler and the SE

casper

Two Stroke
Just for the record (maybe unless you can better this?), I nearly made 160 miles before going over to reserve yesterday.

This has been my best mpg so far. I ride a 2006 Triumph Scrambler.

Not sure what this means exactly for mpg, but it seems quite good to me and I was riding it to enjoy it , not for economy only.

So if anyone can better that just let me know :)

Casper

tv guy

Scooter
This is bit off topic but when I ran my Bonnie dry the engine first quit at 120 miles (interstate speeds). Being a new bike I had not been paying attention to the low fuel light yes :stupid:
It stoped a few miles from the nearest town. In desperation (and embarrassment) I tried an old trick I learned riding BMW’s, lean the bike way over to your left (side stand side). After I tipped it back up I hit the starter and it fired right back up. I had to do this “trick" twice but made it to a gas station with my odometer showing 153 miles.

I don't know why this works the tank looks like it has a flat bottom maybe one of the other inmates can explain.

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
This is bit off topic but when I ran my Bonnie dry the engine first quit at 120 miles ...

I don't know why this works the tank looks like it has a flat bottom maybe one of the other inmates can explain.

The tank does not have a flat bottom, it straddles the frame. The tipping trick works and the tank should have a fair amount of unusable fuel trapped on the right hand side of the tank. Assuming your bike is an EFI, I don't know which side the sender is on. The petcock is on the left side for carb'd models like mine.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Just got home from a rideabout, and had the opportunity to do a serious 'range check' on my Scrambler. Long story short.... She went on reserve at about 145, and ran dry at 188. This was something of a mix of slab and secondary roads, mostly 60-65mph. I did not try the 'tipping trick' as the bike was pretty seriously loaded.

Pics from the rideabout for those interested are on my blog. Link in my sig.

My 2010 Scrambler reliably goes 140 miles before the low fuel light turns on. The light becomes intermittent around 130, but it's on for good at 140. I usually begin thinking about gas somewhere around 120, but I've never had to put more than 3 gallons into the tank. The bike gets 53-55 mpg, but I'm led to believe that the bike could go somewhere near 200 miles before running out....I haven't tried it though.