Fuel capacity and warning light

motomaniac

Street Tracker
I have a 2010 Scram and was wondering how far I can go on reserve before I am totally screwed. I ride the toll roads everyday (even in winter) here in Japan and gas stations are only located at service areas which are spaced about 80 miles apart so I really have to be careful not to over reach. If you figure I am blasting away at 140kmph how far can I go on reserve before I am sitting on the side of the road?
My reserve yellow light comes on at about 180kms....will it change to red when I am nearly empty? Or is a solid yellow all there is?

Any ideas or experiences to share? :worthy:

AceT100

Rocker
Can't speak for the Scrambler...however 'general rule' is 100 miles (160 km) and start looking for fuel...Thats what I do with my Bonnie....

stein

moped
I think the reserve is about four litres, so if you, like me, spend about 0,5 litres pr. 10 k it would last for about 40 km. My reserve hits in at about 200-210 km, so maybe a little shorter for you.

motomaniac

Street Tracker
Thanks for the advice! Does the fuel warning light change color or flash when your are down to your last few drops?

stein

moped
Mine is a 06 and doesn´t have a warning light (at least i don´t think so?). I always zero out the tripmeter when i fill up, then i drive until the enginge starts to stall, which is about 200 km. Then i switch on to reserve and start thinking about the closest gas station:)

motomaniac

Street Tracker
Newer models with EFI have a yellow warning light to let you know you are approaching the end of your fuel range. So, for example, I hit about 168km this morning and the yellow light on the display came on to let me know I had about 20-30km left before I ran out of gas.

tarmac bob

Scooter
I get 110-130 miles to reserve depending on whether I'm bimbling or thrashing it, then you got about 30-40 miles max. I know someone who reckons he could get 150 + 50 but that's cutting it really fine or riding so carefully you'd extract all the fun I reckon.

nofate

Scooter
My fuel light comes on at about 230 km. The farthest I have gone after the light came on is 50 km without running out of fuel. Since I have never actually run out of fuel I can't say what the actual reserve range is, but its good to know there is at least 50 km. Riding style, load, winds, and terrain will all be variables that affect the range of each tankfull on our bikes.

motomaniac

Street Tracker
My fuel light comes on at about 230 km. The farthest I have gone after the light came on is 50 km without running out of fuel. Since I have never actually run out of fuel I can't say what the actual reserve range is, but its good to know there is at least 50 km. Riding style, load, winds, and terrain will all be variables that affect the range of each tankfull on our bikes.

Street or highway?

koifarm

Hooligan
It seems like you should/could ignore the idiot lights and know your Bonneville better, as stated above, just ride 100 miles and start looking for gas...
Moto, if your gas stations are 80km apart, just stop when you get to one, gas up, pee or get a drink and go on....if it's a real concern, then carry some extra gas in a container just in case...no need to make a mountain out of a molehill...

motomaniac

Street Tracker
It seems like you should/could ignore the idiot lights and know your Bonneville better, as stated above, just ride 100 miles and start looking for gas...
Moto, if your gas stations are 80km apart, just stop when you get to one, gas up, pee or get a drink and go on....if it's a real concern, then carry some extra gas in a container just in case...no need to make a mountain out of a molehill...

Thanks, I never would have thought of that.....:chair:

koifarm

Hooligan
You've been eating way too much sushi over there dude....what part of Japan are you living in.
I spent four years there as an adolescent, did High school at Grant Heights, Narimasu and lived in Washington Heights. Loved the place, first Bike I ever rode was a rented Honda Dream...even got a Japanese Motorcycle License..favorite place there was Atami, just down the coast from Tokyo. We lived near Shibuya Ku station but got all over Tokyo....this would have been in 1956-60. I'll bet it's grown like hell these days. Dad worked at Tachikawa AFB.

casper

Two Stroke
I can get 140 and sometime up to 150 miles before my engine splutters and I have to go to reserve.

On the 2006 model there is no fuel warning light.

The tank takes about 16.6 litres of fuel or 4.4. US gallons.

Casper

phil

Street Tracker
Can't speak for the Scrambler...however 'general rule' is 100 miles (160 km) and start looking for fuel...Thats what I do with my Bonnie....

that's pretty bang on with my bonne to.. my fuel light, seems to come on with about 2-3 liters left, the light just seems to stay yellow.