F'ing Broken Spoke

Just discovered that my Thruxton has a broken spoke on the rear. FUCK!!! I haven't ridden it since last weekend's Flying 15 MC Spring Opener Run and noticed it today while washing it. Has anyone switched to Buchannan's beefier spokes? If so, what are the specs of the spokes (i.e. diameter, stock number)?

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Haven't switched but been thinking about it, that sucks man, guess everyone ought to check theirs. Good luck!

cynr1023

TT Racer
If it makes you feel better; I've been riding on two broken spokes on the rear for the last 4-5k miles. I'm not planning on fixing them until I need a new tire.

KiwiRat

Scooter
If it makes you feel better; I've been riding on two broken spokes on the rear for the last 4-5k miles. I'm not planning on fixing them until I need a new tire.

Same here, 8000 km with two broken spokes.

I've got a new BT45 going on tomorrow.

KiwiRat

Scooter
Most certainly. I ordered them when I noticed that they were broken.

They are sitting in the workshop waiting to go.

Motley

750cc
Kiwi, 8000km is barely broken in, I'd be fuckin' livid! I'm sure Oregon Thruxton has considerably more hard earned miles under his Thrux and I can see he's pissed.

Did you buy Triumph replacement spokes or aftermarket?

Hi guys, sorry I haven't been around much. Heaps on my plate lately. Listen I have done a lot of mods on my bike over the past couple of months and I have both standard rims, full sets of spokes, rim tapes, Pirelli tubes and ME33 Lazer front and matching standard rear tires. All have 3000 k's max. Make me a genuine offer. I have heaps of standard parts that all have to go.

Cheers....

Bret....;)

Hi guys, sorry I haven't been around much. Heaps on my plate lately. Listen I have done a lot of mods on my bike over the past couple of months and I have both standard rims, full sets of spokes, rim tapes, Pirelli tubes and ME33 Lazer front and matching standard rear tires. All have 3000 k's max. Make me a genuine offer. I have heaps of standard parts that all have to go.

Cheers....

Bret....;)

Besides this not having anything to do with broken spokes, you shoulda posted this in the classifieds.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I wonder if any of the guys who have had broken spokes ever put a wrench to to em to check the tightness.?

KiwiRat

Scooter
Kiwi, 8000km is barely broken in, I'd be fuckin' livid! I'm sure Oregon Thruxton has considerably more hard earned miles under his Thrux and I can see he's pissed.

Did you buy Triumph replacement spokes or aftermarket?

That's 8000 km with the broken spokes. I noticed them a few months after I fitted a new rear tyre. The bike has done 85,000 km.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I've never checked mine, dont have the spoke wrench. Did the ping test once and none of them sounded like a ping, all a plunk. but all of them sounded the same. I really ought to check them. . . .:/

cynr1023

TT Racer
I didn't start checking mine until I found the first broke one. The second one slipped in between checks. I test once a month now.

Motley

750cc
That's 8000 km with the broken spokes. I noticed them a few months after I fitted a new rear tyre. The bike has done 85,000 km.

85,000! Jeebus, I gotta get out more. It's good to know that some serious (8000km) mileage can be had even with broken spokes.

Again, which replacement spokes did you go with?

KiwiRat

Scooter
85,000! Jeebus, I gotta get out more. It's good to know that some serious (8000km) mileage can be had even with broken spokes.

Again, which replacement spokes did you go with?

I've just been buying stock spokes. To be honest I don't really stress too much about the spoke issue. Yes, they shouldn't be breaking, but really, there are bigger things happening in my life that I should be concentrating on. :ride:

Motley

750cc
I've just been buying stock spokes. To be honest I don't really stress too much about the spoke issue. Yes, they shouldn't be breaking, but really, there are bigger things happening in my life that I should be concentrating on. :ride:

Thanks Kiwi.

It's good that you've got your priorities in order.

Guy at work had his rear wheel laced 4 weeks ago and one broke today! I tested each individually by tapping each with a screwdriver and there was 9 loose, and I mean really loose! Gonna make sure I check mine more than once a month in future. Hope they do the right thing for him.