Eeek Guns!

Gretsch

Rocker
Well I decided on a gun safe and now it's on it's way. I went with Sturdy safe since they got some of the best review and are considered the best bang for the buck. They don't look as flashy as some of the other safes on the market but I was looking for tough not pretty. The girls not bad though... :) I wonder what their target demographic is...

http://www.sturdysafe.com/model3224.htm

outside
3224safeclosed.jpg

and inside
3224safeopen.jpg

Gretsch

Rocker
I bought the American Security. Now Lag that fucker down real Good so nobody walks off with it on a hand cart. Yes, it is very easy for a couple of safe experts to wheel that out of your home, get it to a discreet location, and then take their time opening it in the privacy of their work shop where they ply their trade! To get mine they would have to take a Saw-z-All and cut completely around it which is also impossible because they cannot get to the back . . . then they would have to drop it through the floor into the basement which isn't happening since their are too many support beams that lie underneath the floor and above the roof; Then they would need to cut through the ceiling above to finish the job where the safe would just fall on them and hopefully kill them. Oh and they also got to get past the motion detectors that are setup at my house which automatically send video clips to my Blackberry showing me exactly what tripped motion in what part of the house. Then I can access whether to call the Police or go home and resolve this myself! :D

Great advice Hedge!

WOW AMSEC! Did you get the TL-30 rated one? I was lusting after that but it's a really expensive. I'm going to have it moved to my basement and bolted to the ground.

KingBear

Hooligan
I use a GoldenRod, but you could use anything like a Dry Rod or a canister of Silica Gel. I wouldn't say one is any better than the other, just use something.

koifarm

Hooligan
One of those little room dehumidifiers might help as well, although the safe is probably air tight, it would keep the ambient humidity down. Don't know exactly where you are going to install the safe but I think I heard basement. Those have, for the most part, high humidity. Unless, of course, the basement has been properly sealed although I haven't seen one yet that isn't humid.
That, in addition to your interior water absorption, should keep the guns good.
Hey, I just thought of those impregnated sleeves you can purchase, that might be something you could look into.
By the by, a bit of advice, if you have intruders, get you and the wife in the safe and lock the door....that should do it.:cheers::lame::lol3::lol3:

Gretsch

Rocker
It's so freaking dry here I don't think humidity is an issue for my safe. Or am I wrong? I live in a high desert.

Last edited:

gcrider

Street Tracker
I'm needing to have the finger grooves removed from my Glock 19 and have that area retextured. Anyone dealt with a good gunsmith that can do this? Guys that are skilled at reworking the polymer frame guns don't seem to be too common.

KingBear

Hooligan
Yeah, in a really dry climate you shouldn't have much of a problem. Maybe a little Silica Gel but not a heating element or you might get dry rot with some of your rubber components.

ricky

Street Tracker
I must of gotten them mixed up with something else.
How about cutting a half coil off at a time until it feels right?
(buy a back-up spring)

geolpilot

Street Tracker
Wolff springs on the internet, BUT, you don't want to put in a lighter mainspring as that may result in misfires. You can greatly increase both the single action and double action by putting in a lighter trigger rebound spring. It is in the square hollow device in the bottom of the action. Slit a small flat screwdriver with a dremel tool and use that tool to push the spring forward as you re-insert the rembound mechanism. I have done this to many J frames and N frames and it works well.

ssjones

750cc
Wolff springs on the internet, BUT, you don't want to put in a lighter mainspring as that may result in misfires. You can greatly increase both the single action and double action by putting in a lighter trigger rebound spring. It is in the square hollow device in the bottom of the action. Slit a small flat screwdriver with a dremel tool and use that tool to push the spring forward as you re-insert the rembound mechanism. I have done this to many J frames and N frames and it works well.

Wolff springs are something like $9 at Brownells. I'm going to experiment with a lighter spring in my DA Ruger SP101.

Gretsch

Rocker
Well I did it. Just got the safe moved in today!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Safe 4.jpg
    Safe 4.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
Barry - how did you plug it in? I do not have a hole to run the electrical cord through the safe and plug it in. I'm thinking of 1 - 2 700 Gram Silica Gel cans should do the the trick; one at the bottom and one at the top of the safe. It says that they turn pink when they are full and then you just re-new them in the oven.
What says you?
Most safes have a hole somewhere so you can run lights or a dehumidifier, so it's odd not to have one. But it doesn't matter, Silica Gel is just as good.

koifarm

Hooligan
You can drill your own hole if there's not one already. Use a heavy drill and metal bit to break through the outer metal layer then switch to a hammer drill and concrete drill bit. When you get through the concrete and the drill stops, switch back to the metal cutting bit. Most safes are concrete sandwiched between two layers of heavy metal. Just go easy and don't push the bits, let them work slowly, even add a drop of oil when using the metal bit.