Finding the right handlebars

Twodogs

Street Tracker
it is amazing how fitting a set of $90.00 bars can give you a million dollar ride. I thought that the stock bars made you feel like you were sitting in an armchair being so upright (A guy has to slouch, only chicks on bikes sit really upright....ever noticed?) but with slightly lower bars fitted you get a nice cruisy slouch up happening when riding the highways like you are a real mister cooooool and you really do feel a part of the bike and that you now feel you are actually riding it out looking for every corner..All that from just a set of bars.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Hell yeah! Worst set of bars I have used were the stock wheelbarrow bars on my '98 Harley Fatboy. They made me feel about 100 years old - you couldn't NOT look like an old man with that riding position. Plus as soon as you tried to go (gasp) fast the wind would slide you off them. So I put some Sporty bars on instead - much flatter - and felt like a rock star instead. :)

Stock Bonnie bars aren't as bad but I am really enjoying the Thruxtons. As you say, they increase the cool quotient significantly.

drlapo

Hooligan
it looks like the halcyon aren't clamp-on style, but if you want to change mirrors, i've used these adapters and work very well.

http://www.british-customs.com/triumph-motorcycle-bar-end-mirror-adapter.html

010f26d0b5b0073906c23ce69f6d6d31.jpg

if the Thruxton bar is tapped just open up the hole and retap to fit the Halcyon mirrors
the Halcyon mirrors fit the Tarrozi bars without modification

dschief

750cc
Thanks!
I have had the Thruxton since new, and it was an adjustment getting used to the clip-ons, but I love them for high speed highway riding and backroad twisties. It's a direct connection to the front fork and you really cut through the wind better!

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I've ridden bikes with clip-ons. I think they are for younger riders than me! They would be awesome for riding fast but the vast majority of my riding is in the city. I like a more upright seating position so I can look death straight in the eye. :)

The stock bars on my 2008 B/B were not really comfortable when I first got it. Putting 3 kids & a wife through college left no $$$$ for luxuries like bike parts.

One day I sat on my Bonnie, loosened the handlebar clamps and rotated the bars untill they felt better. It took a couple of tweaks but they finally felt pretty good and now after several years of riding them with the current adjustment and having gotten all but one kid through school, I don't think about new bars. Sooooooo, instead, I got a set of hagon shocks and intiminators put on and wooooow!!!! I can now ride my Bonnie for 6-8 hours with no problemo.

I don't care much about looks, I care about riding as long as I can as often as I can, that's what counts with me and my basic stock Bonnie, with the few tweaks to the bars lets me ride for a lllooonnnnggg, llllooonnnggg time.

I really believe some buy motorcycles to ride and others by motorcycles to change them into an individual "fashion" statement or get that last .00001 HP.

Whatever floats your boat is all that matters. Enjoy your Bonnevilles everybody, I surely do enjoy mine.

monty

Street Tracker
I run a set of stainless h/bars meant for a Sporster. A little lower and narrower than stock. Fitted them in 2001. Suits me. I have no plans to change them.

We are all different. Tried a set of drag bars on the Bonnie once.

I felt deformed and after a trip around the block, off they came.

Only way I would run clip ons would be if I built a looka like of one of these.

Monty

Attachments

• uphill bonnie.jpg
    uphill bonnie.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0

dschief

750cc
I'm running stock bars on my Bonneville, but with the Thruxton shocks on back I get just enough bum-up head-down that they are very comfortable. On windy days I wish for just a tad more forward lean, but so far it is liveable enough.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Hey Mr Grumpy '44 - I hear you and completely admit that the looks are a big thing for me. It's what attracted me to the Bonneville in the first place.

Part of riding for me is the riding, but a big part is also having a project. My wife is very happy for me to have a project because I go a bit mental when I don't have a project. So for me rebuilding/swapping parts/changing finishes is a huge part of owning a bike.

I've done all the standard performance mods, like getting rid of the AI and airbox, rejetting for pods, using better pipes and for now I am delighted with how the bike runs. Changing the suspension has made a BIG difference to how it handles too. And even though changing the bars was initially driven by aesthetics I have actually discovered that I much prefer the lower bars because of the wind on the freeway. They really make a difference.

Now if I wasn't so petty about looks I may have kept the Biltwell flat tracker bars on. They make the bike handle really well, are fantastic on the freeway and quite comfy. But for me they did make my arms go a bit too wide and I didn't like the look. The Thruxton bars LOOK great and are surprisingly comfy to me. The steering is a little harder than with the Biltwells but it's not hard to adapt.

Changing bars is a bit of a PITA for me because I like to put the wiring inside the bars. But the satisfaction level is high and it keeps me from going mad. I just like playing grown-up's meccano. Wrench a bit, ride a bit = bliss!

bonZa

Street Tracker
LSL Bars

Hey JimmyR, you may want to have a look at LSL Sport Touring bars.

they are narrower than stock, measuring 680mm wide and have a rise of 62mm and pull back of 115mm as opposed to the stock bars on Bonnevilles that measure (according to my rough measuring with a tape measure) about 720mm wide have a rise of about 115mm and pullback of 125mm

been researching this and have considered these myself but havent done anything yet

as an aside, does anyone have the exact dimensions of stock Bonnie bars in order to compare with what else is available. havent been able to find the dimensions anywhere

width = ?
rise = ?
pullback = ?

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I have my stock Bonneville bars in front of me - can't guarantee my measurements though! Width overall = 740mm(29"), rise = 115mm (4 1/2") (outside, not centre to centre), pullback = 190mm (7 1/2") at the outermost point.

FWIW I did actually buy some LSL Sports bars in aluminium and they look very good, but for now I am very happy with my Thruxton bars. At first I had just the stock Bonneville risers and used the Thruxton bars upside down. This works and looks quite good, and is comfortable for me. But then I wanted to try the Thruxton bars up the "right" way. In doing this I discovered that the Thruxton risers are taller than the Bonneville risers and the bars would hit the tank.

So now I have Thruxton bars on as per the Thruxton but with Thruxton risers PLUS some little black LSL boosters to get the bars high enough to just avoid hitting the tank. It's very comfy and looks cool to me!

bonZa

Street Tracker
They are close, but not exact. I've have the M bars on my T100 for about 5 months now, but have really been wanting to try the Thruxton bars.
yesterday at work I guy I work with shows up with a brand new Brooklands green Thrux!! So I was comparing the 2, side-by-side. The thrux bars are about 4" narrower (total), with less of a bend to them. Anyway, I just ordered a set, so will be trying them out soon!

Thrux bars 4" (100mm) shorter cant be right. M Bars are meant to be 28.75" wide, the only substantially shorter bars I have been able to find are LSL sports tourer at 26.75"

I dont suppose you could measure the width JimmyR of your Thrux bars, end to end without including the bar end mirrors.

daleCarlsbad

Scooter
I installed the new Thruxton bars on my 2003 Bonnie and they are very comfortable although I do have Hyde rear-sets.

Bars on the Thrux at Dealer

IMG_0017-3.jpg

IMG_0016-3.jpg

IMG_0015-4.jpg

Installed on the Bonnie

IMG_0009_zps7f18221e.jpg