F3 conversion?

MattRat

TT Racer
Someone (long time ago ) sent me a parts list for what is needed to do the f3 conversion - anyone have a link or care to post step-by-step instructions?

not sure I'm going to do it but I always get bored in the winter...

MattRat

TT Racer
Honda CBR 600 F3 - you can switch the forks and (I believe) change to the honda cast wheels, dual discs up front, and better shocks...or so I hear...

but it's apparently a lot of work...

but it's apparently a lot of work...

Greg (bottle_fed) did it, said it was pretty easy actually. You might PM him, although he hasn't been very active lately.

Picture026-4.jpg

As my good friend Mondo, who just happens to be the month of May Centerfold in the NewBonneville 2009 Calendar, just sed, I did the swap last weekend. All you need is the F3 forks, a new set of Thruxton fork seals and a qt of fork oil. I used 10wt oil. Dirtynick helped me with the swap. We swapped the lowers from the Thruxton forks onto the F3 forks. I used all the F3 internals including the springs. I believe Thruxtonup did this swap and used the Thruxton springs. We took the fork completely apart, inspected them and cleaned them. If you've never done it before, I suggest you find someone who has. I could have never done it without Nick's help. Haven't got to test it out yet as the rear shocks are off and waiting to be replaced with the Kawi ZRX KYB's that are currently at the painters. If you have any questions, PM your number.

Cheers,
Gary

Edit: From Sweats pic, it looks like Bottlefed used the f3 lowers, front wheel and brakes.

Someone (long time ago ) sent me a parts list for what is needed to do the f3 conversion - anyone have a link or care to post step-by-step instructions?

not sure I'm going to do it but I always get bored in the winter...

Last edited:

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I had this swap done. I used the Race Tech internals. The people at race tech were pretty emphatic that I should only use 5 weight oil. I now have about 10K miles on the forks and love them.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
how much better would this be than just setting the stock forks up with the whole racetech set up? Aside from the option to use the dual disc and different front wheel?

MattRat

TT Racer
My idea of doing this has a lot more to do with dual discs and lighter wheels than it does with suspension...

Don't know the skinny of the racetech setup, but the F3's are cartridge forks with adjustable rebound damping & compression damping.

how much better would this be than just setting the stock forks up with the whole racetech set up? Aside from the option to use the dual disc and different front wheel?

marthruxton

Two Stroke

When you go with the F3 forks you can use cartridge internals . When you use the stock forks you have to use emulators. I understand the emulators work quite well. Mabye someone who has them will jump in.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
So cartridge vs. emulators. Dual discs, and lighter wheels, more rubber options. What about the rear wheel? Direct swap? or all sorts of offset and shit like that?

Bottle_Fed

Two Stroke
Sorry guys...been kinda busy lately. The swap was very easy. The front rim swaped out without having to figure out spacing. Just flip the rim around to match the back and use the stock F3 spacers. The rear was a little more challenging juggling spacers around between the bonnie and F3, but through trial and error it fit without any special machining of spacers or anything.

Greg