Exhaust Volume scale

Hi.

What do you think of this exhaust volume evaluation on a 10 points scale ?

Is this right exact ?

1/10 Bonneville/Thruxton stock exhaust
2/10 Bonneville/Thruxton TORS ??
3/10 Bonneville/Thruxton TORS ??
4/10 Norman Hyde Pea shooter
5/10 Norman Hyde TOGA's
6/10 Dominator Touring
7/10 Dunstal Replica's
8/10 Predator BC's sleepers
9/10 Emgo reverse cone shorty
10/10 D&D megaphones
11 /10 Straight pipes

REVOLT

Street Tracker
I know my TTs are pretty damn loud...at ilde they are nice a lop'e (like a Big Block with a HP Cam)...at rev they are pounding...at speed they sound like a P-51 Mustang at the air shows doing fly-bys...

I actually dont know what is meant by TOR's lol On my exhaust it states "Triumph 9601024 "NOT FOR ROAD USE" Jeez am I stupid! "Triumph Off road" lol

Last edited:

wolfie

Two Stroke
I actually dont know what is meant by TOR's lol On my exhaust it states "Triumph 9601024 "NOT FOR ROAD USE" Jeez am I stupid! "Triumph Off road" lol

Don't feel bad, it took me a little bit to figure it out myself when I was first researching exhausts.

Thanks wolfie, feel much better now. Hope this thread takes off as an exhaust ratings is an excelent idea. Maybe even video links to each one

:sidecar: ps Koi yr wheels bent

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Since there are so many of us with Triumphs, why not get all the different exhausts together and make a proper comparison video?

There was one (I think it is here too) with about 5 different bikes on T-Rat that was a pretty good indicator of some different pipes. Do a side video of each pipe, behind the bike, (both at the same distance away for every bike) at both idle and rev to 5000rpm, and a drive-by at a certain speed. If you do 1 location with everyone, it would also give a more accurate reading than having Joe video his bike with a canon at 5 feet, and Mary with a nikkon at 10 feet etc etc. It would be alot of work, but it would be a good excuse to go out and do some research, aka. go riding. That would be the best way to go about comparing and give everyone a proper eye, and ear-full of what's available for our bikes.

Just an idea, that I am sure others have had, but let's stop talking about it, and just do it already.

fender

Street Tracker
Since there are so many of us with Triumphs, why not get all the different exhausts together and make a proper comparison video?

There was one (I think it is here too) with about 5 different bikes on T-Rat that was a pretty good indicator of some different pipes. Do a side video of each pipe, behind the bike, (both at the same distance away for every bike) at both idle and rev to 5000rpm, and a drive-by at a certain speed. If you do 1 location with everyone, it would also give a more accurate reading than having Joe video his bike with a canon at 5 feet, and Mary with a nikkon at 10 feet etc etc. It would be alot of work, but it would be a good excuse to go out and do some research, aka. go riding. That would be the best way to go about comparing and give everyone a proper eye, and ear-full of what's available for our bikes.

Just an idea, that I am sure others have had, but let's stop talking about it, and just do it already.

5ft away behind the bike sounds good along with being in a open space ie not in a garage.

I'll post up a vid of the BC Sleepers along with decibel readings next week.

azgsa

Scooter
Hi.

What do you think of this exhaust volume evaluation on a 10 points scale ?

Is this right exact ?

1/10 Bonneville/Thruxton stock exhaust
4/10 Norman Hyde Pea shooter
5/10 Norman Hyde TOGA's
6/10 Dominator Touring
7/10 Dunstal Replica's
8/10 Predator BC's sleepers
9/10 Emgo reverse cone shorty
10/10 D&D megaphones
11 /10 Straight pipes

Good comparison chart, thanks.

Not really sure what this means? Does it mean there are two models of Triumph off road but not sure of model name or that not sure if should be rated as 2 or 3 out of ten

gweldoncone

Scooter
I just want a set that won't make my ears bleed but have a good solid rumble. I have a set of BC Teardrops that are just too loud for me.

WyoBonnie

Scooter
I think the 9 out of 10 for the Emgos is correct -- straight out of the box -- wicked loud!!

However, put a decent wrap around 'em and stuff some up the middle, and you could vary the rating all the way down to 5 out of 10. And doing so adds a nice deep richness to the tone.

Easy13

Street Tracker
Standard BC Predators are about 8-10, and there are alot of other mufflers out there, such as Commando Specialties, Bubs, Staintunes, Fekeds, it's a long list.
I've got a set of Commandos on the way, for a more classic look(and I really love a good ol glasspack muffler on a bike). I'll update when I get them hooked up.

FWIW, there's a 34-page sticky on exhaust over at the TriumphRAT site, with lots of soundclips(is it heresy to mention that?).

Easy13

Street Tracker
Just put the Commando Specialties mufflers on today. WOW! If BC Preds are 8/10, these fall somewhere between 9 and 10/10. A nice mellow rumble at idle to a full-throated howl at speed. Great mufflers for the money.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
MY TORs are plenty loud for me. Just the right balance between Singer sewing machine stock and neighbors complaining.:headbang2: