A few More...

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
Lots of research here, Triumph Rat and ADVRider and I have a couple nearly definitively answered questions left.

1. The Thruxton shocks and fork springs are the same as the scrambler?

2. The Bonneville seat and luggage racks mount the same?

Notice I asked the questions with statements? :)

Jim :cool:

Iceseven

750cc
Shocks are the same but the front springs carry a different part number on bikebandit.com so I am not sure about those.

Not sure about the seat and luggage rack.

Bonafide

NBR founder
All Hinckley Bonneville seats will swap from/to all other modern classic models, ie: Thruxton, Scrambler, T100. Cant imagine why luggage would mount different with the exception of the Scrams high pipes on the right side. I've seen people mount just one city bag on a Scram because if the pipes.

About the only difference I can think of from the Thrux to Scram for the fork springs would be that the Thrux has adjusters on the top of the forks.

About the only difference I can think of from the Thrux to Scram for the fork springs would be that the Thrux has adjusters on the top of the forks.

and those adjusters can be bought relatively cheap and used on bonnie and scram forks to gain a little preload adjustability.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
I just ordered the EBC floating rotor from Cycle Bandit for only $213! In stock and shipped. Unfortunately NewBonneville.com and Bella Corsa were out of stock, and $25 more.

DIRK

750cc
hepco becker makes a great bag with mount for the bonnie. with a carefuly crafted mount spacer you could be styling.www.adventurersworkshop.com. or check out the bags at touratech-usa.com if you want the really cool off road bits. you will need to do some modifying.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
Another question, and a comment:

How far off is the speedo on the Scrambler typically at about 70-75 mph?

I also found that the headlight is not bad at all, in low beam, high beam sucks BAD!

What are people doing for auxiliary lighting, and how much can the bike handle for power draw?

PS OK three questions and a comment!:wave:

bikebits

Scooter
Speedo on my Scrambler is pretty darned accurate. According to my GPS it reads about 1% slow @ 60mph.

Pokeyjoe

Scooter
I also found that the headlight is not bad at all, in low beam, high beam sucks BAD!

What are people doing for auxiliary lighting, and how much can the bike handle for power draw?

7" Cibie in an EMGO bucket with a 70/65W Osram Plus 50 bulb. Lights up everything.

feb5.jpg

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
Thanks guys!

I replaced my rotor, and the pulsing is gone, now on to crash bars, the smaller ones, and preferrably black? Link and cost?

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
Rode the Scrambler to the local BMW rally this weekend. Rides great, but the bike does not like rain. Made the 100+ mile trip ok in heavy rain, but it died on my heading out to get lunch. Had to ride bitch with my best friend on his R1200GS with no rear seat. :(

It sat about an hour, and when we got back it started right up.

Anyhow, looks like I will be taking it all apart and sealing the connectors on it.

Any specific ones I should spend extra time on?

PS The gel seat sucks bad!

Last edited:

ivar

TT Racer
Rode the Scrambler to the local BMW rally this weekend. Rides great, but the bike does not like rain. Made the 100+ mile trip ok in heavy rain, but it died on my heading out to get lunch. Had to ride bitch with my best friend on his R1200GS with no rear seat. :(

It sat about an hour, and when we got back it started right up.

My first thought is the fuel tipover valve - I've had my bike die from fuel starvation twice - and it started right up after opening the fuel cap.

Iceseven

750cc
Jim, I disconnected every connection on my Scrambler even the ones in the headlight and coated them with dielectric grease, I coated the coils and put small hose clamps on the coil boot. I had problems on my former Bonnie with water but haven't had any problems with my Scrambler.

Like Ivar said these bikes can have some issues with vent lock, you can try the cap, also I cut the tank vent tube tip where it comes out by the left foot peg at a 45 degree to keep it from water beading.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
Excellent advice! I actually did pop the tank cap to check for gas. This was over an hour after it died, so it may have vented by then.

Thanks,

Rhodie

Street Tracker
JVB

A belated welcome to the fraternity;
respect all you've done on the Bavarian Behemoth :cheer:
and expect you to continue your similar such valuable contributions
with the Scrambler and the Triumph marque!

You certainly appears to be all moving ahead fast.

343696965_p9Lb8-M.jpg

Cheers
Rhodie