Engine Removal Project

Hedge

American Infidel
sorry I didnt get back to you the other day I think you are right.
damn I should start building motors for these bikes for part time money lol.
about 4 to 6 hrs to build one, if you have your chit together.

Yep - you could make a nice side job living Mike! ?

Ripcode

Scooter
Good luck!
icon14.gif

Hedge

American Infidel
So I got my bike back and it runs perfectly . . . well almost.

I got her back and the engine runs perfectly. However, and it scared me, when I picked her up, after about 3 miles she conked out like she was out of gas. I flipped her to reserve and turned around and filled her up with Sunoco 93 to help burn out any shit. Drove on and every couple of miles it would conk out like it was starving for gas. Finally figured I would loosen the cap to let some air in and it runs perfectly. Got home and took the compressor to the cap real good and it still didn't work when tightened down. I guess it is time for a new cap.

So now that it is back running perfectly and I have gotten use to the CB1100, the Bonneville is kind of a disappointment. I think it is time to sell her to someone who will appreciate everything I have done to her to make her the Best she can be for what she is suppose to do. I will probably regret it and often think about her but I think it is for the best to let her go. We will see what she brings price wise.

So now that it is back running perfectly and I have gotten use to the CB1100, the Bonneville is kind of a disappointment. I think it is time to sell her to someone who will appreciate everything I have done to her to make her the Best she can be for what she is suppose to do. I will probably regret it and often think about her but I think it is for the best to let her go. We will see what she brings price wise.

Don't do it... You've already got so much time and energy into it. Put some taller suspension on it along with some high pipes, skid plate and Conti TKC80 tires and turn it into a Scrambler.

Wow, that's one hell of a job you did/had done on that bike. Good for you for seeing it through. You probably fixed something that was defective from the day it rolled off the assembly line.

Whoever buys it will probably not appreciate in what good shape that motor now is.

bonZa

Street Tracker
its probably the vent hose check rather than the gas cap that's preventing the tank from breathing

bonZa

Street Tracker
on the right hand side of the tank underneath is a "nipple". sort of like a 1/4" pipe section about 1" long welded to the underside of the tank which should have a breather hose attached. the hose winds down behind the carbs and terminates to atmosphere down the left hand side below the side cover. mid way along the hose is a "tip over" valve which is like a check valve. should allow air to breathe in one direction into the tank but not out of the tank
maybe its been fitted arse about tit and wont allow the tank to breathe, or could be kinked, blocked etc.

to see if its ok, disconnect it from the tank and suck it like a straw to see if you can draw air.

Hedge

American Infidel
on the right hand side of the tank underneath is a "nipple". sort of like a 1/4" pipe section about 1" long welded to the underside of the tank which should have a breather hose attached. the hose winds down behind the carbs and terminates to atmosphere down the left hand side below the side cover. mid way along the hose is a "tip over" valve which is like a check valve. should allow air to breathe in one direction into the tank but not out of the tank
maybe its been fitted arse about tit and wont allow the tank to breathe, or could be kinked, blocked etc.

to see if its ok, disconnect it from the tank and suck it like a straw to see if you can draw air.
Thanks for the description - will give it a shot and report back

Hedge

American Infidel
New Problem

OK - so I finally got back out into the garage this afternoon and rolled it out to the driveway to inspect the check valve. It was indeed stuck. Could not blow through either side. Tapped it a few times on the side and it loosened up but not for long. BTW-it has an arrow on the part . . . is the arrow suppose to point up toward the tank or down toward the ground. I would guess that it makes a difference. Anyway, I removed the check valve completely and just draped the hose between the carbs without it, tightened up the cap and took off. It seemed to have fixed that issue. Any problems running her without the check valve?

The new problem is as I'm accelerating in any gear, as soon as I hit 5K it cuts out. The tach goes down to zero and she bucks. As soon as I let off the throttle she comes back to life. She runs perfect as long as I keep it below 5k. It is almost as if it is rev limited at 5k. Any ideas or thoughts?

Trying my best to sort this crap out - Hedge

strokerlmt

Hedge....IMHO rev limiter or gas/carbs. Can you borrow a rev limiter ? and break the cards down completely clean.
Good luck.
LMT

bonZa

Street Tracker
could also be the vent tube for the carbs. from memory it connects to the carbs in the centre somewhere between both and winds its way behind down along the left side and terminates behind the gear shift peddle back behind the footpeg.

its purpose is to keep the float bowls vented to atmosphere otherwise a vacuum will form inside the bowls and atmospheric pressure wont "push" the fuel, or allow it to flow. at lower revs everything would seem fine but as your revs climb and you are drinking more fuel this could be a problem if the vent isnt drawing air into the bowls

if the tube is not oriented correctly, when you are riding at speed, wind turbulence can interfere with the end of the tube preventing it from drawing air. it gives the impression of running outa gas or hitting a rev limiter

once happened to me. did some work to the bike and left the end of the tube stuck out horizontal, caused all sorts of problems and had me scratching my head. some people cut the end of the tube with a knife at a 45 degree angle to help as well

seeing your bike has been pulled apart it seems like these little attention to detail things are causing you a bit of grief

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
bonZa, you're brilliant. I've been having this constant trouble with my bike since I rebuilt it, and got new carbs. I've kept thinking it was the fuel breather tube from the gas tank. I have replaced it, blown it out with compressed air, gotten a new fuel cap. Never thought about that little tube and its purpose, it was just one of those annoying little tubes I had to figure out where to route, and only affected the bike at certain speeds or under certain wind conditions.

Hedge

American Infidel
Questions

• Is the vent tube for the carbs in this picture?
http://triumphparts.calmoto.com/sho...23&ukey_category=51497&assembly=100055011-3-2

• The check valve for the tank is actually called a Roll Over Valve and it is $28 to replace. After research I just realized that the point of the valve is in case you drop your bike. It prevents the gasoline from spilling out onto your hot engine and blowing your ass up! Gonna soak the roll over valve in something tonight or spray it with carb cleaner to see if i can get the gummed up shit out of it before I buy a new one.

• The valve has an arrow on it pointing to a direction. Research showed that some of the valves have an arrow on it and others say UP. The correct direction is arrow or Up pointing up toward gas tank.

Last edited:

bonZa

Street Tracker
  • Is the vent tube for the carbs in this picture?
http://triumphparts.calmoto.com/sho...23&ukey_category=51497&assembly=100055011-3-2

• The check valve for the tank is actually called a Roll Over Valve and it is $28 to replace. After research I just realized that the point of the valve is in case you drop your bike. It prevents the gasoline from spilling out onto your hot engine and blowing your ass up! Gonna soak the roll over valve in something tonight or spray it with carb cleaner to see if i can get the gummed up shit out of it before I buy a new one.

• The valve has an arrow on it pointing to a direction. Research showed that some of the valves have an arrow on it and others say UP. The correct direction is arrow or Up pointing up toward gas tank.

that link is for an efi set up and when I put in model years for carb still show efi throttle bodies. but, I checked out some other diagrams here http://www.triumphestore.com/ and still cant make heads or tails out of it

the link for the vent hose is a good write up, pity Mr F doesn't post here even though he looks in every now and then. also, thought the dude cracks it if you link to that other site? as there are a couple of posts regarding the carb vent hose

with mine I have a Monza gas cap which includes a vent so the tank vent hose doesnt matter that much, also if I disconnect the hose I get a strong smell of petrol

with the carbies you will see the fuel hose enters the carbs via a tee between the carbs. there is also a filter in that tee that is supposedly prone to blocking, but hasnt happened to me.

the float bowl vent hose tees in near the fuel hose, hard to see without removing the tank. the hose on my T100 winds backwards and terminates on the bracket that supports the left rider foot peg, just near the swing arm axle below the side cover. there is a wire clip that is attached to the bracket by a allen screw and the hose is held in place in the wire clip to stop it getting buffeted by wind. the tank vent hose terminates just in front of the rear wheel below the air box.

I would post up a photo, but the limit here is a pissy 97 point something and I cant make the photo any smaller on IrfanView

Hedge

American Infidel
Wife had me splitting and stacking wood today so i have exhausted all my energy for today. I plan on getting to this tomorrow. BTW - soaked the Roll Over valve in gas and it loosened up to where I can here the ball roll around and can blow through it. I will reattach tomorrow and check gas cap vent