Eeek Guns!

koifarm

Hooligan
For sure Hedge, here's a funny story about safes.
I was a commercial diver living in chicago Ill. for a time. My boss called one evening and said "Get your gear and meet at the warehouse right now! We've located a safe in a wreck up in Wisconsin."
Five divers and the boss, hit the work van, loaded with equipment and drove six hours up to near Sturgeon Bay Wis, where we boarded a chartered work boat. We drove all night, got on the boat in the early morning and headed out.
Sure enough, it was a wreckage of an old steam boat one of our divers had located. Within the wreck there was a huge safe, about the size of the gun safe on this post.
We worked our asses off, breaking the safe out of the wreck, lifting it with air bags to the work boat, hoisting it on board and heading back to the dock.
Loaded the safe in the work truck, drove back to the warehouse in Chicago and unloaded the safe into the shop.
Various things were tried and we ended up tearing the back of the safe off ( a safe's weak link) air hammering the concrete out and finally getting to the inside metal wall.
We were beat by then and the owners wife showed up with Pizza's and beer to cheer us along, we all sat down and chowed down cuz we were hungry!
While we sat around, the wife walked around the safe admiring our work and commenting it must be a rough job to break into one. She walked around to the front of the safe, played with the handle, and pulled the door open! Fuck, you can only imagine our thoughts at that time. She opened the door and a bit of water and mud slid out on the shop floor exposing the entire contents of the safe for all to see.
Out came a 1904 quarter!
End of story, we never heard the end of that one from the rest of the divers and especially the wife!

koifarm

Hooligan
In retrospect it was....lol.....and the damn woman framed the fucking quarter and hung it on the wall to rub it in!

koifarm

Hooligan
Bedside companion

Here's a little gadget that might come in handy. Like a lot of you, I keep a shotgun behind the door of the bedroom, this little thing would be a nice way to keep a gun handy. Of course, if you have kids....it's a no no.
I'm thinking about ordering one real soon.

http://www.the-backup.com/

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
concealed carry

Here's something I just ordered Bill - it will come in real handy durning the summer months!

http://bigkarmyandnavy.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=281&gclid=CLeM9KTIvJoCFR9hnAod8mK2bw

For sure Hedge, I ran into the distributor at one of the local gun shows.
In my case, the garment has to fit tightly so the gun doesn't slop around and you can draw without impediment.
I just can't stand a tight tshirt, most of mine are 2x, and a tight fit is what you really need to make it effective. I do have a nice shoulder rig though, nylon/velcro that fits quite well and on me, you can't notice a thing.
Summertimes here in Florida are sweltering as well and that presents a problem or two, I'll normally carry my little Walther model 8 with kind of a leather holster that resembles a wallet in size, the Walther tucks in there and you cannot see any shape through the leather or pants pocket. I rarely go into WalMart without one! lol....
I've alway carried a browning .22 auto and a single shot mossberg 20 Ga. in a small rack behind the seats in my truck and below window level. Never had a problem with john law either, they are difficult to see from either window but are handy if needed, and no, I;ve never needed to use one. Almost though, on a trip back south from Indiana, I had stopped at a rest area in south georgia for a pee break, as I got out of the truck, I noticed a guy by the vending machines, wearing a kind of heavy large coat (summer then) and acting kinda strange. I stopped, went back to the truck and left. Turns out that several minutes after I left, he held up an old couple at gunpoint and hijacked their car and them. He was cought later and shot several times while being apprehended. It was just after that incident that Florida and Georgia began putting security (rent a cop) in all the rest areas.

koifarm

Hooligan
Strange looking mother ain't it? I'd be interested in some specs on it, the ammo has got to be pricey for sure.

koifarm

Hooligan
Ammo,

Hell, I can't even find 45acp ammo...

for sure, ammo is hard to find these days...I'm lucky enough to have an adequate supply for WW3 so I'm not worried, Hedge has been going to walmart every day and pestering them when a shipment is coming in.
I'd look at a reloading setup if I were you. Visit your local gun range and ask to buy brass....

Kirkus51

Hooligan
When I was working for a bank. I got to set the time locks in the vault. One time i thought it was going to be a 3 day holiday and set the time lock accordingly. Well, it wasn't a three day holiday so the safe guy had to come in thru the back of the safety deposit room which was just a plaster wall and we were in in a New York minute. Lost a couple of Safety deposit box customers though, before we repaired the wall.:chair:

koifarm

Hooligan
Safe theory

When I was working for a bank. I got to set the time locks in the vault. One time i thought it was going to be a 3 day holiday and set the time lock accordingly. Well, it wasn't a three day holiday so the safe guy had to come in thru the back of the safety deposit room which was just a plaster wall and we were in in a New York minute. Lost a couple of Safety deposit box customers though, before we repaired the wall.:chair:

The theory on safes is that they just take a lot of time to get into, enough time that someone will catch the perps over the period of time it takes them to get into a safe.
I'm amazed that a bank would be so shoddy as to have just a drywall barrier even though the safe deposit room and the vault were both secure.
Aaahhh, now just where was that bank located?
Home safes should always be securely bolted to the floor and most have some means to do that, the good ones anyway. The best way, and I did this in one of the homes I had, was to install a floor safe in a hole surrounded by freshly poured concrete, no one is gonna move that puppy.
Nowadays I have a distaste for banks and keep my funds in a safe underground vault somewhere on my property. The money is in gold coin and it will gain interest as the market price goes up and down, that way I don't have to worry about a freaking stock market fiasco like the one we just had. My current favorite is the Krugerrand.
koi

KingBear

Hooligan
You can actually make a closet into a darn good safe by lacing rebar through the studs. Throw on a steel door and some heavy duty locks, then line it with fire resistant drywall. It's easiest to do during construction, like when you finally get around to finishing that basement. Not so easy to retrofit.

koifarm

Hooligan
Safely

You can actually make a closet into a darn good safe by lacing rebar through the studs. Throw on a steel door and some heavy duty locks, then line it with fire resistant drywall. It's easiest to do during construction, like when you finally get around to finishing that basement. Not so easy to retrofit.

For sure KingBear,
A buddy of mine built a safe room when he did his house, that sucker had double poured block walls, rebar reinforced, he put three sheets of 1/8 steel around it and had a safe type steel door for the front. The room was approx six by eight by eight and was virtually impenetrable by normal means. His approach was that it would make a nice hurricane shelter as well. The door is hidden behind a hinged bookcase and has a magnetic trip lock on it. Had I not seen it under construction I never would have found it. It's a great idea if you have the thing done when you build.

Gretsch

Rocker
Where did it go? I'll tell you where it went . . . while everyone was running around trying to buy all the guns they could because of the election some of us were buying all the ammo we could get our hands on and reloading supplies as well. Hell when the "SHTF" an empty gun is useless - but ammo? Hell I can trade that for a gun, food, fuel . . . hell just about anything. I can see it now . . . 3 months from now; "Dude, where did all the shot gun shells go?" :wave:

Yep, I've been a busy bee hording as well. I've got what I need but I'm still buying ammo as I come across it. It seems that .45 is the latest caliber to run low.

Str8up

Scooter
Well it looks like Hedge has all the ammo. I've been looking at the Sig Mosquito lately as well. It's between that and the Walther P22 for a "plinker" so I can have some fun without blasting away with my precious larger caliber rounds.

koifarm

Hooligan
Maybe it's time to start looking at reloading as a possibility........
Damn good thought Hedge, I never looked at it that way but you're spot on with that thought!! Let's see:
.22 = $.10
.38 = $.50
.357 = $1.00
.41 colt =$1.50
.45 =$2.00
and so on up the scale...
It's more than likely a good possibility cuz when the dollar sinks to being worth nothing more than wiping your ass in the morning, and gold coin becomes the standard exchange medium, the barter system is a viable way to keep the economy coming.
Now Hedge, I can see your point man, wonder what a belt of .50 cal AP or tracer would be worth???
so I went out and used that figure to evaluate my current ammo/coinage net worth,
shit! I'm a fucking millionaire!.....Hedge, you're likely a fucking billionaire.....lmao.....

Don't laugh folks it's probably more of a possibility than you know........

koifarm

Hooligan
Hedge, reading your post elicits a mental picture of the old Chicago tenement drug dealers who had an armored door with a little trap door in it, you come up to the door, put your $ through the slot and whisper what you wanted....the little door slides open a few inches and your bag of heroin or whatever pops out just like a coke machine.....lmao....(do not even ask me how I know that)
Only now it would be pushing your ammo through the door and getting a little bag of powder....like....Psssst, gimme a quarter will ya? Ok, that's 10 rounds of 9mm and four .22 LR.......Bwahhaahahahaha
Hey, it could come to that!!!!!!! KAOS reigns supreme.....
Well, think I'll ramble over to the Harley dealer on the next corner and get a hot dog....went by this morning and they were setting up!!! Just wanna see the frogs worry about my sidecar rig...........
koi