Damn Kids

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I was just made aware that there is a movement to treat sub units( kids) like second hand smoke. I have always taken issue with sub units, a sore subject with the little lady and my own sub units.
Hovever the public is demanding kid sections in resturants, flights with kid section or better yet, no kid flights. Movies would have kid section or times that kids would be allowed.
This is great. I want designated days that theme parks like disney would have no kid days so adults can enjoy the parks.
One of my biggests peeves is the parent that deposits the sub unit stinky diapers and all on the counter at the grocery store to pay. This being the same counter my food is sitting on.
Bussiness wil have the political correctness stamp of approval to ask parents to control the sub units or leave.
This is GREAT.

koifarm

Hooligan
I'll have to agree with you Marthruxton, the whole issue is with parents who have no freaking idea how to be a parent and let the kids run wild, make noise in restaurants and generally cause trouble wherever they are at.
Kids are great, but parents who have no clue how to control their kids are a genuine PIA for most of us and are a huge issue in public places.
When I sit down at a restaurant there is nothing more irritating than a screaming kid who is trying to manipulate the parents into giving it something it wants or simply making loud, irritating behavior to get attention. I've seen it time and time again and am sick and tired of it. If it were legal to taser them I probably would, if I could carry a cattle prod and use it, I would. If I had a nickel for every time i've asked to be moved to get away from unruly screaming kids i'd be a millionaire.
There, I feel better now....

Bonniebret

Rocker
As someone without kids I can say NOTHING can ruin a night out, a movie or a flight like screaming kids. I'm all for it.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I was just made aware that there is a movement to treat sub units( kids) like second hand smoke. I have always taken issue with sub units, a sore subject with the little lady and my own sub units.
Hovever the public is demanding kid sections in resturants, flights with kid section or better yet, no kid flights. Movies would have kid section or times that kids would be allowed.
This is great. I want designated days that theme parks like disney would have no kid days so adults can enjoy the parks.
One of my biggests peeves is the parent that deposits the sub unit stinky diapers and all on the counter at the grocery store to pay. This being the same counter my food is sitting on.
Bussiness wil have the political correctness stamp of approval to ask parents to control the sub units or leave.
This is GREAT.
Sub-units connotes disrespect for kids which is as bad as the blatant disrespect that many kids harbor for adults today.
No boomers don't like the way kids are raised today...stereotype. There are pockets of very good kids however...not all are raised poorly.
When you see a kid acting out...look no further than the parent who isn't doing their job. Segregating kids from societies' gathering places is a symptom of bad parenting. Problem is...kids aren't being parented...they now run the show. Parents set the example for the kids including the epidemic of bullying in the US...kids act out what is modeled at home.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
My boys ( 18, 16, 14) are good as gold, always were. Simple old fashioned respect is what works. I don't know what the hell is wrong with parents today.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
It is obvious it is the parents fault!!! However, finnally society is realizing that we have been too politically correct with giving kids WAY TOO much freedom. Thier behavior is just not acceptable and the parents need to do some parenting. No I will not repremand you child. I will repremand YOU the parent.
Bussiness will now be able to ask the parent to leave the business and it will be OK.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
Sub-units connotes disrespect for kids which is as bad as the blatant disrespect that many kids harbor for adults today.
No boomers don't like the way kids are raised today...stereotype. There are pockets of very good kids however...not all are raised poorly.
When you see a kid acting out...look no further than the parent who isn't doing their job. Segregating kids from societies' gathering places is a symptom of bad parenting. Problem is...kids aren't being parented...they now run the show. Parents set the example for the kids including the epidemic of bullying in the US...kids act out what is modeled at home.

No disrespect intended. How much worse is sub units as opposed to "kids" or baby farm animals as webster defines kids.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
It is obvious it is the parents fault!!! However, finnally society is realizing that we have been too politically correct with giving kids WAY TOO much freedom. Thier behavior is just not acceptable and the parents need to do some parenting. No I will not repremand you child. I will repremand YOU the parent.
Bussiness will now be able to ask the parent to leave the business and it will be OK.
Can you explain how you compare political correctness to parenting?

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I am refering to the fact that parents do not parent the children especially in public. They are given much too much freedom. There is no repremanding occuring. In fact, I suspect that there are people out there that should they see a parent repremand a child they will get involved and call child protective services.
However, with a shift in what is acceptable or not, we just might see parents start to actuall raise the children.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I am refering to the fact that parents do not parent the children especially in public. They are given much too much freedom. There is no repremanding occuring. In fact, I suspect that there are people out there that should they see a parent repremand a child they will get involved and call child protective services.
However, with a shift in what is acceptable or not, we just might see parents start to actuall raise the children.
I see, you are equating political correctness to public discipline of childen.
I would go a step farther in an ideal world. :) If kids are shown boundaries of what's acceptable at home, love and attention and discipline when its needed there would be way less need for public discipline...kids would behave better in general in public. The subject of political correctness probably rubs many of us the wrong way. I don't see it as relevant to raising kids as I do masking larger societal issues...namely how to get along with so many divergent cultures under the umbrella of America. People who don't look the same or come from the same place and many times don't speak the same language and yet somehow we all have to get along. That is quite a formidable challenge and political correctness is a bandaid that only hides our fundamental differences.

Last edited:

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I see, you are equating political correctness to public discipline of childen.
I would go a step farther in an ideal world. :) If kids are shown boundaries of what's acceptable at home, love and attention and discipline when its needed there would be way less need for public discipline...kids would behave better in general in public. The subject of political correctness in general is a good one. I don't see it as relevant to raising kids as I do masking larger societal issues...namely how to get along with so many divergent cultures under the umbrella of America. People who don't look the same or come from the same place and many times don't speak the same language and yet somehow we all have to get along. That is quite a formidable challenge and politic correctness is a bandaid that only hides our fundamental differences.

+1, well stated.

I agree...parents are big pussys compared to the past.

Spanking works...it will shut a kid up...and brings power back to the parents. When kids have no sense of fear and respect and see they can walk over their parents, thats when they become unruly.

Hell, I got whooped every time I did very bad things...it set me straight. Timeouts are bullshit. Creative punishment works--I like that.

I don't give a $#!T what others say....spanking works.

em_dot

Street Tracker
Kids section would work. I'm owned and operated by a 5 year old girl! I like little kids.

That said neither my wife and I tolerate bad behavior. Correction to bad behavior is swift. Parenting is hard if you do it right. Worth it though. I have the princess to prove it.

In addition to Kids sections (which I support), I think there should be a penalty box for bad parents... hockey style. If your kid is acting like a wild animal, Mom and Dad get 2 minutes in the box to the jeers of the responsible parents. They give us a bad name.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I agree...parents are big pussys compared to the past.

Spanking works...it will shut a kid up...and brings power back to the parents. When kids have no sense of fear and respect and see they can walk over their parents, thats when they become unruly.

Hell, I got whooped every time I did very bad things...it set me straight. Timeouts are bullshit. Creative punishment works--I like that.

I don't give a $#!T what others say....spanking works.
I am not sure that spanking works. Its one way of disciplining...but...not sure its the most effective. It would be interesting to see a study of successful kids that were spanked versus not.
Then there in lies the term success. What is that? Are successful people the ones that feel the strongest sense of entitlement?...or the biggest narcissists?
I will say that raising kids has to be the hardest job there ever was.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I also might question spanking. Does it teach the unit that you can inflick your will with violence? I wonder.
However, they must be taught that their behavior must be appropriate in society.

I raised 3 units. The two girls I never laid a hand on. They would cry if I told them they dissapointed me.

Now, the boy, that was a different story.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
If you don't have your own kids, you don't know shit about this subject. You are like a person who has never owned or driven a car, who has never lifted the hood or turned a wrench, you are like that guy giving a mechanical diagnosis.

The behavior of children in the presence of their parents is a function of the parent/child relationship.It is the relationship dynamic manifesting in the behavior.There are two aspects to this - modeling behavior and relationship dynamic, for example dominance/ power or guilt and bribes versus respect/ love.

I never spanked them or beat my boys. I did act respectful of them and of others in front of them.It was had to use self discipline to be a good example. See its really about self discipline. I always showed utmost respect for their mother in their presence. I would never insult her in front of the boys. Never. I pump her gas while she sits in the car. See? Respect. I refrained from the F bomb in the house.

I also - and this is critical - refused to play head games or negotiate with them when they were little. For example ; I did not ever try to convince them to go to bed, as some parents did. Rather I would state the truth - it is bed time - bed time is now and therefore you must be in your room, in your bed and quiet. No debate or negotiating. How can you debate time? Its impossible. This is just one example, but it begins when they are small.

The father behavior example is important. Modeling. Relationship = respect Thats important. No negotiating or convicing the kids I am their best friends. I simply am dad. Dad is to be respected but he always has your best interest at heart. Dad even puts your interests above his own. But you must respect and do as you are told. This is non negotiable. I find that young boys do well under benevolent dictatorship..... Emphasis on Benevolent.

Thats about all I had to do - 3 for 3 polite young men.

Last edited: