Cruise missiles?

mrt202

Street Tracker
Anybody ride their America or Speedy like it was something other than a cruiser? You know, ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM through the twisties, scraping pipes and pegs and boot heels, hanging with Bonnies and Thruxs, Passing Harleys and Hondas and the rest of the clones. Just wondering, cause I'm always looking for somebody else to ride with.:up:

NEPatriots9

Scooter
I've seen a guy who lives down by BonnevilleBill ride the shit out of his Speedmaster, Brian is his name. Probably a little too far North for you though Mr T.

Boofhead

Banned
My America has IKON shocks and progressive frount springs and with good tyre pressure it stays with most bikes and is better than some (HD sporties)

gilligan

Scooter
Never thought about a steering damper on the America, as I've never experienced any fork shakes or wobbles, or anything. I've experienced on other bikes and its not fun, but never on the america. Replacement fork springs wouldn't be a bad idea though. As for riding fast through the twisties, I ride moderately quickly, but not crazy fast. You never know what's around the ext corner (stalled car, pothole, drunk driver coming at you in your lane, etc.).

Stagger Lee

Street Tracker
Has anyone ever put a steering dampner on Speedmaster or America? Or is that
just a bad idea? Thanks

You really don't need it. The long wheelbase and front rake (angle) means the bike is very steady and not in anyway jittery like some sports bikes. The down side is that it takes a lot more effort/ time to hook into bends.

If i ever saw one fitted i would slap the owner :chair:

Stagger Lee

Street Tracker
Anybody ride their America or Speedy like it was something other than a cruiser? You know, ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM through the twisties, scraping pipes and pegs and boot heels, hanging with Bonnies and Thruxs, Passing Harleys and Hondas and the rest of the clones. Just wondering, cause I'm always looking for somebody else to ride with.:up:

If you feel like coming down under I'am your man

The reason I was looking at the speedy rather than a jap chopper was the fact that it handled and with twin discs was a way better sports option.

The 270 motor is a torquey enough beast in stock form, but it's the torque-meister with a 904 kit & flatslide carbs. It made a huge difference to my Scrambler, & I'm sure it'd make major improvements to the cruisers. A steering dampner was essential on my Scram, to keep the front wheel from wobbling over 110mph. So I'd reckon the cruisers would need one too. & improved suspension is a must for every Hinkley twin (& quite a few triples)

Last edited:

I ride it like I stole it all the time,but I live in mid-Sweden.(TPUSA 904-kit, 71.45RWHP.42000miles on the clock.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
mrt202-I'll be coming up to your area in June, but I'll prob. be on the Goldwing. But I'll surely be out scraping pegs on 178 and 276, prob 64 too.

brass

Two Stroke
I always lean the twisties, as is evident by my rear tire wear, but when I REALLY want to rip, I roll out the Suzuki! No reason to half-ass it. :sportbike:
(besides, you'd look really DICK with a full face on an America!) :ghey:

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Cool, that's close to me. I'm planning to be up June 12-14. I'll be with two friends on V-Star 1100's and another guy on a Harley, so I guess we'll just have to stop once in a while and wait for 'em to catch up...
BTW, any rain up there? Was up in Jan. and the lake was looking awful. About 14' down I guess.