Craigslist

strokerlmt

Man I dislike Craigslist and the gutter rats that hang there. I have an ad for the RAF bike and I have received a couple of good inquiries. I have also received 4 idiots that claim they own the bike, it was stolen and a couple that want to purchase site unseen and lets share bank acc info.
Fuck them...
LMT

Oil Burner

Scooter
Craigslist is just like a little slice of life... A mix of a few good people, a bunch of scammers, and a whole shitload of general a-holes and idiots. Hopefully you find the right person who's serious, and the transaction goes down smoothly.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I found out -its the same with buyers and sellers...... just had some really nasty dude call me up and ask me when he should bring the bike over , for a bike I called about once 2 weeks ago and never said I'd buy, sight unseen. I had never even gone beyond a couple questions - 2 weeks ago!! The guy said he "wanted to plan his day and when could we meet" He was literally stunned when I said never and he started cursing. Click. Probably a criminal. Or maybe just an asshole.

The again I have met some very nice people and had some great transactions off CL. One thing I found out - never ever give them your address. I make them drive to the gas station a block away and call me, then I drive over and if they seem legit I bring them to the house. I used to give directions, but I came home to find them wandering around my yard, only a month late. Funny but those kind of assholes never buy anything, they just bring all their friends to your house to look at your stuff.

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
My personal favorite is "I'm currently out of the country so I need you're information. Upon receiving your information I will send the money to your account. My associate will come to pick up 'the item' and I'll take delivery upon returning." ...something like that anyway. I've gotten it multiple times.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
my personal fav - a one that will never happen again - is the jackass who test drives your car - of course beating the shit out of it - and then, even though the car is perfect, never even makes an offer. I only had that happen once. Never again. Money first.

cantilever

Scooter
then you'll get the tool "you expect me to buy that without test driving it first"... my response is always "no, because you just dropped off the list of potential buyers - it's not for sale to you anymore".

Craigslist was good once upon a time. Getting worse all the time. I have sold several mountain bikes and several motorcycles using craigslist, some of the buyers came from there.... but it is a very big hassle.

AceT100

Rocker
I apply the $50 rule when selling or buying anything on Craigslist.

Won't buy or sell anything more than that....and ALWAYS answer the door with my AmStaff on his short leash.

nohawk

Rocker
My personal favorite is "I'm currently out of the country so I need you're information. Upon receiving your information I will send the money to your account. My associate will come to pick up 'the item' and I'll take delivery upon returning." ...something like that anyway. I've gotten it multiple times.

HA Ive gotten that same exact thing!

koifarm

Hooligan
I've sold several things on CL...I NEVER give my addy, usually I'll meet them at the local Burger King which has a nice big well lighted lot.
Lately with all the BS on CL I don't even bother with it, using Ebay if it's small enough or a visit to the local weekend Flea Market.

geolpilot

Street Tracker
I have bought and sold many items on craigslist, including trucks, motorcycles, furniture and appliances. Love it, and yes you have to be careful.

Bonafide

NBR founder
We've had more than a couple robberies from fake craigslist ads around here. The 'buyer' is given the address to an empty/foreclosed house and when they arrive, the bad guys jump out the bushes and rip their wad of cash. We've caught a few of them ... but it seems for every one we arrest, 3 more pop up. It also seems to be the place to unload your stolen electronics ... so buyers beware, those good deals you're getting could be 'receiving stolen property' charges.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I often wonder if the police peruse craigslist for stolen items being sold. It seems to me they should,and probably do, but it's a big ocean to fish in.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Sal - i think our detectives have made a couple dozen arrests from stolen items listed on craigslist. One item was listed within an hour of the theft, arrested the douche 30 min later, stolen property returned to owner that evening.

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
I have bought and sold a LOT of stuff on craigslist and fleabay, never had any problems, use good judgment, lots of common sense, if it seems to good to be true it probably is.

Dave

Street Tracker
two replies I've gotten this week...

Bonjour you must call me 583-5852. (because obviously I speak fucking French)

and

Yo it is advisable to call me 304-6826 (or maybe I speak jive)

cantilever

Scooter
don't get me wrong - I've sold a LOT of stuff through craigslist - but it does attract a certain element you don't get on ebay. I'll sell stuff on craigslist that is too difficult to ship, so heavy / large items.

If you're willing to deal with the "bottom feeders", then craigslist is ok.