Cleaning out your carbs

Joey Vegas

Scooter
does anyone have a guide to how to do this? i am at my wits end with this bike.

I have already drained the tank and bowls on the bottom of the carbs.

this bike will not run correctly, so something is wrong with getting fuel into the engine still.

I am a complete neophyte to doing this sort of thing, and any information any of you can give me on solving this problem i would appreciate it.

The_Dog33

Scooter
Not sure on the T100s but on the America and Speedmaster (I imagine this holds true for T100) there is a hidden filter between the carbs that can cause problems. Follow the fuel line from the gas tank to where it hooks to a T between the carbs. Pull the line off there and in that T should be a small filter. Clean that or even better get rid of it and put one inline.

Also try leaving your gas cap loose and take a ride to be sure your tank is venting properly. If leaving the cap loose helps look at the venting system.

You should also check your float level get a small piece of clear tube that fits the drain nipple on the bottom of the cab bowl, with the bike sitting up level (like on a bike jack) hold that clear tube up along side the carb and open the drain. The tube will fill to the level that is in the bowl. It should be just about at the seam where the bowl meets the cab body.

Last edited:

Joey Vegas

Scooter
i was unaware of that filter, i will have to pull the tank n check it.

one symptom of this is while its doing its coughing/sputtering/etc, if i rock it between my knees n give the bike a good shake, the problem will disappear, for a while. so this filter may be the problem.

i have opened the gas cap to see if it was a suction/venting problem, but it make no difference.

Joey Vegas

Scooter
when i was draining hte tank, the fuel ran out of hte petcock in a solid steady stream, so i don't think there is any blockages.

Joey Vegas

Scooter
well after fighting with an oddly angled clamp, and pulling out that filter n giving it a good does of cleaner and the air hose, and re-assembling everything, i am back where i was when i started.

fuck it, i'm getting a yamaha. this has been the most temperamental fucking machine i have ever dealt with it.

Oxblood

750cc
I assume at some point you pulled the tank off. When you put it back on were you careful not to pinch the vent line?

--Oxblood

MattRat

TT Racer
try removing the jets?
When I re-jetted last both of my carbs had a buildup in both jets - I assume cumulative effects of bad gas. Try pulling the jets and just look through them and see if they look clear.

Joey Vegas

Scooter
does anyone know a good procedure for pulling the carbs off the bike?

i'd like to get it running in top condition before i sell/trade it. or decide that i want to keep it and just deal wit hteh uncomfortable position and keep trying to make it fit.

It's under warranty, it's your dealer's job to make it run properly. Most of them run nicely, you had some bad luck.

Uncomfortable position? How so? Most of us consider it very neutral, not hunched forward, not sprawled back.

Last edited:

rodburner

Rocker
Joey,if rocking the bike back and forth makes it run better for a while,then I would still be looking at the petcock.If the jets were plugged it would run like shit every time you started it. That petcock has a little screen on it too,and while you ride,crap in the bottom of the tank,[dirt,paint,tankliner etc]will be pulled to the screen.Shaking the tank lets the crap wash away until next time.Gas will pour out the fuel line just fine,as you found out,but eventually that crap will be sucked back to the screen.I`ll guess you or the Lakewood dealer will be able to get this cleared up pretty quick.Also,all the changeable bits of those carbs can be done with the carbs on the bike.As for the riding position,that is just a sawzall away.

Joey Vegas

Scooter
i have a disk problem in my lower back from being dumped off horses repeatedly (and a few years of aikido).

i'm 6'3" and i purchased this Bonneville because of hte 'neutral' position. however i find that the overall frame of this bike is too small, i get cramped and stiff after 20-30 minutes of riding and the pain level increases the longer i go.

i do not want to switch, but i think i should switch or just have to stop riding completely.

i will try to pull the petcock off tonight.

do any of you know waht causes the bike to cough back into the airbox? would that be a sympton of this type of fuel starvation problem?

thanks for the assists, i appreciate all the help.

MattRat

TT Racer
i have a disk problem in my lower back from being dumped off horses repeatedly (and a few years of aikido).

i'm 6'3" and i purchased this Bonneville because of hte 'neutral' position. however i find that the overall frame of this bike is too small, i get cramped and stiff after 20-30 minutes of riding and the pain level increases the longer i go.

i do not want to switch, but i think i should switch or just have to stop riding completely.

i will try to pull the petcock off tonight.

do any of you know waht causes the bike to cough back into the airbox? would that be a sympton of this type of fuel starvation problem?

thanks for the assists, i appreciate all the help.

you should grab those Modre lowsets in the classifieds - just what you need.
Hope you get the engine sorted out.

rodburner

Rocker
Ahh,the bad back.That is a bit tougher.Different handlebars and bar risers can adjust your back angle.A taller seat can tilt you forward and unbend your knees.Different shocks can help with jolting [but not with uncramping the ride position].Maybe refine your particular need,angle/stretch/jolt and somebody here has probably fought it and won. Don`t give up just yet.
Steve
oops,thanks Matt,I forgot that mod.

Joey Vegas

Scooter
well, i took the petcock off, it was pretty easy since i didn't have to drain the tank, since it had already done taht all over hte floor of the garage..

guess i didn't have the clamps on tight enough. do those spring clamps 'go bad'?

guess i will really have to turn the petcock off when i'm done riding.

The_Dog33

Scooter
Look in your air box for fuel or put a clear plastic tube on the bowl drain, hold that up along side the carb and open the drain. The level should be just below the seam where the bowl meets the body, if it goes above that you have a float issue. This test has to be done with the bike level like on a center stand or jack. Also watch for gas coming out of the vent tube.

Last edited:

Joey Vegas

Scooter
thanks dog, i'll check after i go buy some more gas....

wouldn't surprise me.

you guys rock helping out a newb like me.